Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

26 minutes ago, Xela said:

Lets hope its a Botham '81 moment whereby it completely changes the shape of the series. 

We were 1-0 down then too and went on to win the series 3-1. I’d settle for that to add to The World Cup. 

Next summer Villa to win the FA Cup and England to conquer Europe!

• Like 2

Yeah, it was a good knock from Bairstow. He was getting battered for the way he got out but I thought he was unlucky. It was a poor ball that he tried to put away but unfortunately it moved late and that was him done for.  

Moving on to the next test... Woakes & Roy dropped? I’d probably say play Curran (if Anderson isn’t fit) but it doesn’t seem wise when Lyon’s bowling. 

Edited by Milfner
  • Like 1

There's a thread here about greatest athlete across all sports. I really think Ben Stokes will be knocking at that door by the end of his career. He's world class in all three forms of the game, and his batting or his bowling alone would get him in most teams in the world. He's also one of the best fielders in the world. And he's got a decent left hook on him.

3 minutes ago, veloman said:

I have a nasty feeling Chris Woakes might be dropped to allow Anderson to return - if fit. Thoughts ?

Tricky one. Although Woakes averages above 30 with the bat, you'd still call him a bowling all-rounder I think? So if it's between him and Anderson, you probably judge it on bowling alone, and Anderson surely gets the nod. Can't see any of the other bowlers being dropped.

Harsh on Woakes, although I'm wondering if Anderson has really recovered from his injury?

22 minutes ago, veloman said:

I have a nasty feeling Chris Woakes might be dropped to allow Anderson to return - if fit. Thoughts ?

If Anderson is fully fit then it's the right call.

Were it at Lord's then no, obviously. :)

I suppose it depends on other changes to the side, i.e. if Roy and Buttler make way. After this win, however miraculous, they wouldn't want to be making too many changes.

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I haven’t really watched cricket for over 10 years, but what is the point of Buttler?

Is he usually a decent batsman?

He's a wonderful ODI and T20 player... one of the best out there. 

In the longer form he is no way international quality. His county record is average in this format as well. He's got into the red ball team based on his white ball exploits. 

• Like 3

Was at Edgbaston for the Bears T20 match and 3/4 of the crowd were downstairs in the concourse watching the final few overs of the England match. Amazing roar and scenes when Stokes hit the winning runs, must have been very off putting for the players hearing these roars from beneath and behind the stands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Definite yes for me, if Woakes isn't contributing with the bat then I don't see any debate.  Jimmy needs a few more overs under his belt first though.

41 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Tim Paine comes across very well.

For all the arrogance on the pitch and in the media I always find a lot of the Aussie players and usually cricketers in general seeme decent guys off the pitch. Obviously get exceptions like Warner

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

For all the arrogance on the pitch and in the media I always find a lot of the Aussie players and usually cricketers in general seeme decent guys off the pitch. Obviously get exceptions like Warner

That may be the case but neither Smith nor Punter came across like that whilst they were captain.

That was an epic match. Shame I was stuck at a family reunion, confined to sly score checks throughout the day. Highlights of this are going to be 're watched endlessly..

Obviously we need to do much better from the beginning for the next test, can't rely on repeating this, next time a six is a catch, an lbw is actually given lbw, Lyon doesn't dro0 it etc. But for now a day or two to enjoy that win. If Woakes is dropped it may be harsh but he hasn't helped himself this test though. Broad, Archer, a spinner... who else is dropped if Jimmy comes back. Nature of the squad!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowychap said:

Tim Paine comes across very well.

He's unbearable to listen to on the stump mic when Lyon is bowling, but he's a decent chap.

• Like 1

Â