Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

That was the most incredible test match I've seen.

Stokes is a freak. Possibly the best innings I've seen given the context. Leach was brilliant.

Unreal. Test match cricket at it's best > any other sport.

I think the only change we make is Anderson for Woakes IF he's fit, but I don't think we can risk it. I'd actually be inclined to drop Woakes for Curran.

A lot of harsh words about Buttler, but he'll find form. I think he's still our no2 highest test run scorer in the last 18 months? I'd like to see Roy in lower down the order, I think he's too big a talent to dismiss after 3 games. Has enough about him to deserve the whole series to prove himself. Big ask to turn yourself into a test opener against an Australian attack in a period of a couple of weeks. Funnily enough I think he'd actually go better down under, on the harder wickets.

• Like 2

Australian media full of articles about how tainted England's win is, the injustice of Australia's defeat, because Stokes should have been lbw right at the end.

No suggestion that the crap captaincy, crap bowling and woeful fielding by the Aussies in England's second innings had anything to do with it. Or one of the greatest ever performances in sport from Ben Stokes. Nope, they were cheated out of a win by the umpire 🤣🤣🤣

No one does sore loser quite like the Aussies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrDuck said:

That was the most incredible test match I've seen.

Stokes is a freak. Possibly the best innings I've seen given the context. Leach was brilliant.

Unreal. Test match cricket at it's best > any other sport.

I think the only change we make is Anderson for Woakes IF he's fit, but I don't think we can risk it. I'd actually be inclined to drop Woakes for Curran.

A lot of harsh words about Buttler, but he'll find form. I think he's still our no2 highest test run scorer in the last 18 months? I'd like to see Roy in lower down the order, I think he's too big a talent to dismiss after 3 games. Has enough about him to deserve the whole series to prove himself. Big ask to turn yourself into a test opener against an Australian attack in a period of a couple of weeks. Funnily enough I think he'd actually go better down under, on the harder wickets.

Based on events this week If Roy is dropped it will be for Pope  , who isn’t an opener either   so can only assume Denley would go to opener ... might as well give Roy a fair crack in his natural position of Denley is going to open 

the only other potential change will be Woakes for Anderson 

Curran’s turn will come but not in this series 

1 hour ago, MrDuck said:

Australian media full of articles about how tainted England's win is, the injustice of Australia's defeat, because Stokes should have been lbw right at the end.

No suggestion that the crap captaincy, crap bowling and woeful fielding by the Aussies in England's second innings had anything to do with it. Or one of the greatest ever performances in sport from Ben Stokes. Nope, they were cheated out of a win by the umpire 🤣🤣🤣

I can understand their anger and if it had been the other way round I'm sure I'd have been livid. Seeing Hawkeye makes it look like an absolute shocker of a decision...but you know what, I can actually understand why the Umpire didn't give it. He can see two full stumps, the bowler is going round the wicket, the ball is full and he has very little time/distance to assess how much/if it has turned

ben-stokes-lbw.jpg

If the blue portion of the line isn't there, I still might say it is only clipping leg at best! Benefit of the doubt to the batsman and all that, good decision! :hooray:

• Like 2

So I had a ticket for Saturday, and was offered a ticket for Sunday too. I didn't take it. Although I can say, I saw Stokes bat in that inning, I obviously missed the fire works. Bit gutted, but watching on TV was still amazing. Viva test cricket! 

I was there on Friday... did not think walking out that two days later we’d still be in the series! Still, I’ll be able to tell my grandkids I was at the greatest test match of all time and witnessed the GOAT... run 70 yards across the ground between overs, take an inflatable watermelon off a steward and hit it back into the crowd :lol:

Unbelievable innings from Stokes - everything about it was perfect, from being 3* off 70 odd balls to 135* off 200 - proper test match batting gave him the platform to explode at the end! Superb contribution from Jack Leach too, best one not out ever!

In terms of changes to the team, think they’ll stick with Roy (but possibly swap him with Denly in the order). Only potential batting change could be Pope for Buttler but it wasn’t really his fault he failed yesterday. The only way I can see them getting Jimmy back in is for Woakes, yes it would theoretically lengthen the tail but unfortunately the Aussies appear to have worked Woakes out with the short stuff now anyway.

• Like 4

What a result that was, Stokes was superb (we’ll let him off the buttler run out). In the last few weeks he has single handedly raised the interest in cricket across the country. Hopefully now momentum swings with us for the next two tests, 2005 anyone? 

I think if 100% fit (and we do have a longer rest until next test), then Jimmy comes back in for Woakes. Could you imagine being a batter and having to face Anderson Broad and Archer? 

Still want to see Curran come in at some point, but unless injury to someone, it’s not going to happen this series. 

How long we stick with Roy is the big question 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrDuck said:

How many highlights packages I've seen where both the wasted review and Lyon's run-out fumble have been somehow left out...

1 hour ago, PriceyDownunder said:

How many highlights packages I've seen where both the wasted review and Lyon's run-out fumble have been somehow left out...

Unreal eh?

Good rational article today from one of Australia's only decent cricket writers: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/aug/26/australia-tim-paine-england-ashes-leadership

Of course, the drama of those closing moments will always pull focus to the last few turning points. So it’s worth mentioning the logical fallacy that Paine’s wrong DRS review meant that Lyon’s dismissal was lost.

If the Cummins review had not been sent upstairs, then the next ball would have been bowled a couple of minutes earlier. The entire next over would have been slightly different, both for bowler and batsman. In short, Lyon’s ball to Stokes can only exist in a world where Paine has already taken the review. If Paine doesn’t review, a different ball is bowled, with an unknown result. Something else happens, and one of the teams wins. You can’t unscramble the omelette of a cause-and-effect timeline.

So that just leaves the not-out decision by umpire Joel Wilson. He is being roasted in the Australian media, but after a poor game at Edgbaston he actually bounced back in the third Test with a series of excellent decisions and a 7-1 record against the review system.

The contention that he made a blatant mistake is not fair. Replays suggest HawkEye was questionable, tracking a change of direction after the ball flicked the front pad. The reconstructed ball straightens more sharply than is realistic and apparently smashes leg stump. But watching live it looked more like it might be going down leg, and Stokes’s flurry of movement across the crease increased that impression. It may have been out, but it was at least closer than portrayed, and it would be undermining DRS if umpires tempered their decisions based on which team had challenges in hand.

I'm still laughing at work colleagues suggesting yesterday that the match was fixed - Australia throwing the game on orders of the ICC to keep the series alive. Anything to avoid admitting they lost the game based on sporting prowess!

9 hours ago, MrDuck said:

If the Cummins review had not been sent upstairs, then the next ball would have been bowled a couple of minutes earlier. The entire next over would have been slightly different, both for bowler and batsman. In short, Lyon’s ball to Stokes can only exist in a world where Paine has already taken the review. If Paine doesn’t review, a different ball is bowled, with an unknown result. Something else happens, and one of the teams wins. You can’t unscramble the omelette of a cause-and-effect timeline.

was the ball or 2 before that one when i thought they could have run a (possibly) comfortable  single and thus guaranteed a draw ..but instead Stokes opted for no run  still looking for the win / protecting Leach .... I was sitting there thinking I bet he gets out now, and we lose  , and along came that delivery  .. thankfully the umpire decided it was N.O

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Roy and Denly trading spots in the batting line up for England, good move I think. I'd like to see Curran come in for Woakes too, but I suspect we'll field the same 11 as before.

Slightly strange decision by the Aussies to drop Khawaja rather than Harris or Wade for Smith's return, but I'm not complaining. Starc in the 12 too, not so keen on seeing him bowling at our batsman.

Archer vs Smith will be unmissable TV!

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Why does Roy get another go, though, and Pope doesn't?

Bad idea to throw in a new player at this stage - Ashes on a knife edge, huge pressure, bit of a baptism of fire for anyone new.

And as I've said before, personally I think Roy is far too talented a cricketer to discard after three tests. If he doesn't get a score in the whole series then give someone else a go, but at least give him (or anyone else) a fair crack of the whip.

13 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

Bad idea to throw in a new player at this stage - Ashes on a knife edge, huge pressure, bit of a baptism of fire for anyone new.

And as I've said before, personally I think Roy is far too talented a cricketer to discard after three tests. If he doesn't get a score in the whole series then give someone else a go, but at least give him (or anyone else) a fair crack of the whip.

I have to disagree. Pope, only three weeks ago, got an unbeaten double hundred in a county game, I think. It would suggest he's in some form and I think England have, too often, waited until someone is out of form to give them their go (it wouldn't be a debut as he's already played two tests). To me, it would have been an ideal time to have done it in the last Test.

As for Roy, I hope that he goes on to get a score and justify his place but you can't keep on getting out the way he has been getting out and still merit a place in the starting line up just for the sake of getting a 'fair crack of the whip' if it contributes to endangering the outcome of the series.

My worry, after the remarkable recovery and win in the last game, is that we've gone with the same side that got steamrollered in the first innings and England have merely convinced themselves that the win showed that they're good enough.

Edited by snowychap

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Why does Roy get another go, though, and Pope doesn't?

More so when Pope's previous England appearances involved him batting out of position .

Like you , I hope Roy goes and gets a good score  ,but to a degree that just prolongs his slow death as a test player , i don't think he is suited to it

Just seems to be the selectors doing everything they can to avoid admitting they got it wrong  ..or maybe they think changing the side after the win would be bad for moral or something  ?

• Like 1

Â