Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

or maybe they think changing the side after the win would be bad for moral or something  ?

There is an argument for that, I think, especially after the euphoric nature surrounding the ending of the game.

I think it's trumped by looking ahead to the next game, though.

As per our agreement, let's hope Roy plays well and makes this discussion academic (at least in regard to this series).

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, snowychap said:

As for Roy, I hope that he goes on to get a score and justify his place but you can't keep on getting out the way he has been getting out and still merit a place in the starting line up just for the sake of getting a 'fair crack of the whip' if it contributes to endangering the outcome of the series.

I think Roy's contribution to endangering the outcome of the series is possibly overstated, considering so far we have just two players averaging over 30 with the bat!

Listening to Stuart Broad on the Broad & Fry podcast today, he was saying what an important character Roy is in the dressing room and what a close knit group it is, so I suspect that comes into it too.

Like you guys, I think Roy may well fail to adjust to test cricket, but training him up as a test opener against arguably the best bowling attack in the world was always more likely to fail than succeed and was a huge ask of Roy. It's a gamble taken because of Roy's sheer destructive power and class as a one day player, and I think a gamble worth taking, but he should be much more suited to #4. Fingers crossed he gets a hundred at Old Trafford!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

I think Roy's contribution to endangering the outcome of the series is possibly overstated, considering so far we have just two players averaging over 30 with the bat!

As I said, contributes to..., i.e. that sticking with the same batting line up that has often failed miserably.

I'm certainly not cruel enough to put all of England''s misfortunes on Roy's shoulders.

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Listening to Stuart Broad on the Broad & Fry podcast today, he was saying what an important character Roy is in the dressing room and what a close knit group it is, so I suspect that comes into it too.

It may well do (though aimilar was said about Moeen) - there's a thin line between close knit group and exclusive clique, though. ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrDuck said:

And as I've said before, personally I think Roy is far too talented a cricketer to discard after three tests. 

He is and never will be an international level red ball player. He is barely county standard. 

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

As I said, contributes to..., i.e. that sticking with the same batting line up that has often failed miserably.

I'm certainly not cruel enough to put all of England''s misfortunes on Roy's shoulders.

It may well do (though aimilar was said about Moeen) - there's a thin line between close knit group and exclusive clique, though. ;)

Buttler has to shoulder some of the blame as well!

Roy averages 9.50 and Buttler 9.13 in the series from 6 innings each. I'd expect more from Devon Malcolm! Both need jettisoning.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Don't know a lot about Overton but I bet Sam Curran is pissed off about now  , he is being messed around a lot this series

Yeah, very harsh on Curran. I think they're hoping Overton will make the most of the bounce on the OT pitch.

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Two Aussies out early, now the usual suspects we can't get out are at the wicket

and still there with a partnership of 106 🥴

Labuschange on 61 and Smith on 47 !!!!

They have not really looked in trouble. Mind, I don’t think we have bowled particularly well to trouble them either.

Unless we break this pair we are already getting close to the point where the game will go away from us. 

Â