Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Not that desperate so I'll hang on for the OTA update if its quite soon.

Think I'll get myself a battery too as for £7.50 eBay has genuine replacements.

(Yes, eBay and Genuine not necessarily going handcin hand)

Has anyone managed to get the phone to discover that there is an update ready, no matter how many times I get it to check it finds nothing and then at some point I will go to use the phone and it will suddenly announce there is an update ready.

A watched pot never boils mate. 

Google stagger the release date of the update.   They keep exactly how they do it to themselves, but typically you will have a 1% chance of getting the update on the first day it's available and will stay like that for a day or two, if no problems are reported back (bricked phones, crippling bugs etc) then it will go up to a 25% chance, then a 50% chance then a 100% chance over the course of a couple of weeks.  

The Google Services Framework 'trick' used to mean you could fool Google into thinking your phone was a new phone every time you checked for an update which increased your chances of getting it quickly (if you check and it says no then it's pointless checking again for several hours) but it seems Google changed some things their end which means the services framework trick can do more harm than good these days. I think Darren said he had to do a factory reset after attempting it recently. 

Basically just be patient.  The system exists as it does to stop crap happening like Sony's recent firmware update for the PS4. 

Did a manual update. Initial thought is that opening apps and notifications etc is is lightning quick, even compared to 4.4.4, my nexus7 is a 2012 one and it is a huge improvement speed and battery wise on that too. So far impressed with Lollipop.

Picked up my Z3 last night.   Havent had a chance to have a real look at it properly yet, was waiting for the number from my old phone to transfe over.  Anyone else got one and has some helpful tips or tricks for it??

• Like 1

Annoyance no1, My unlockstyle (thumb) always brings up the dialler.

How do you manage that?

You can swipe in the middle of the screen to unlock.

I know that, but 4 years of thumb-placement and swipe-technique is hard to change. To get into the homescreen now you have to swipe from the middle and upwards and not start on the left side of the screen and swipe right. I'm not calling it a bug or error, just annoying for my particular movement. I'll survive :)

First issue with Lollipop on Nexus 5.

When you open a link in Chrome it doesnt show as a tab that means you can go back to the previous site (the little number isnt there) unless you go into settings and turn the "Merge tabs and apps" off.

Why would I want it on?

Â