Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

My s3 is on its last legs and I'm looking for a new phone, problem I am finding is there isnt a great deal of good small handsets.

Ideally want a phone with a sub 4.5 inch screen. Only real contenders I have seen are Z3 conpact, S5 mini and HTC One Mini. When looking at these i am worried that they will become slow and clunky like my s3 did after 18months.

Out of those, your only option is the Z3 Compact as it is the same phone as the top dog Z3 but with a smaller screen. The other two are gimped performance wise.

• Like 2

I've got Google Now always listening (through the google now launcher, thanks rev) but only when I change the language to US English, is this standard? It does actually appear less accurate, and when I put on a stupid american accent it works slightly better. Any idea how to get it to work in the queens English?

Works fine on nexus 5 with lollipop. This was an issue with KitKat on nexus 5. You've got a 4 haven't you? Probably only available for us English on that.

I decided last night to reset my Nexus 5 as the battery usage had got so bad. It was just making it to when I got home before giving me the message it needed an extra charge.

As I am writing this it is on 69% which is a massive improvement, mind you I havent put all of the apps back on, just the important ones so will be interesting to see how it goes when I add a few more.

Is there any way to get rid of the annoying notification each time my battery drops down a 1% below 15%. Yes I know the obvious (charge it duhh) but it's really annoying checking something and getting a notification.

Oh and still quite a few crashes, whenever using chrome or even this app or any app tbf. Really annoying.

Is there any way to get rid of the annoying notification each time my battery drops down a 1% below 15%. Yes I know the obvious (charge it duhh) but it's really annoying checking something and getting a notification.

Oh and still quite a few crashes, whenever using chrome or even this app or any app tbf. Really annoying.

No crashes whatsoever here. Must be a dodgy app.

The battery thing is in battery settings.

My s3 is on its last legs and I'm looking for a new phone, problem I am finding is there isnt a great deal of good small handsets.

Ideally want a phone with a sub 4.5 inch screen. Only real contenders I have seen are Z3 conpact, S5 mini and HTC One Mini. When looking at these i am worried that they will become slow and clunky like my s3 did after 18months.

I went from SGS3 to Nexus 4 and really pleased with it. I think there are places still selling refurb N4's about £110

No crashes or issues since I went to Lollipop.

I've gone from a galaxy s2 running cyanogen badly to the OPO. Its like going from a unicycle to a Ferarri. It has replace my N7 as well because the screen is so big. Still no invites to give out yet though they must be struggling with the black friday orders.

• Like 2

Got a OnePlus One last week. My word, it's a hell of a phone. I'm charging it once every 3 days instead of twice daily like I was the Nexus 4. Absolute monster

I just ordered a new battery for my Nexus 4 to see if it gives it a bit of a shot in the arm. If not then I think it might be time to chop it in for a newer model.

My Nexus 4 battery is showing it's age.   I'm still gutted the Nexus 6 was so thoroughly underwhelming.  HTC, Samsung and possibly Sony are due to unveil flagships in March/April so maybe I can hang out until then.  My problem is they all use heavily skinned versions of Android which I'm just not interested in.  Motorola's Moto X would be top of my list but the camera and battery are supposed to be shite.  I'm actually considering jumping over to iOS, for all it's faults Apple nails the big three of good camera, good battery and prompt updates.  With Android it seems to be a case of pick the two which are most important. 

This is going to get boring but the One plus One really is one of the best (almost) pure Android experiences apart from perhaps the HTC One M8 Google Play edition.

Most flagship phones these days stick quite closely to stock Android because it's so good, many of the things that were added by others are included in the stock release. I personally don't like the Samsung or HTC skins but the others wouldn't put me off.

Next year will be interesting, personally I think it will be a generation that you could take or leave. Quad HD will be the flagship standard, but unless performance and battery are on par with current 1080p displays, I wonder whether it is worth the trade off. The nexus 6 seems to have missed that point.

• Like 1

Â