Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Picked up my Z3 last night.   Havent had a chance to have a real look at it properly yet, was waiting for the number from my old phone to transfe over.  Anyone else got one and has some helpful tips or tricks for it??

Check out some of the camera options, set up power management, although the device is fantastic for battery, a little help goes a long way. After this, just play around with it, enjoy the speed... oh and, this won't be popular, but download Clean Master, good for restoring space when needed.

Annoyance no1, My unlockstyle (thumb) always brings up the dialler.

How do you manage that?

You can swipe in the middle of the screen to unlock.

I know that, but 4 years of thumb-placement and swipe-technique is hard to change. To get into the homescreen now you have to swipe from the middle and upwards and not start on the left side of the screen and swipe right. I'm not calling it a bug or error, just annoying for my particular movement. I'll survive :)

I see what you mean. My swipestyle is to just swipe upwards on the right hand side of the screen so I'm OK.

Anyone managed to go for a Nexus 9? My dad's in the market four a new tablet as his 2012 7 has died a death. Read the reviews which I mostly read as 'we expected more but it's not necessarily a bad machine' more then anything else. Must admit I kinda like it myself in all honesty.

Anyone know how to get the old-style Gallery back. Not liking the Lollipop photo storage and much preferred the KitKat way of separating different images, collated by source.

Not easy. You may just be able to side load the old Gallery2.apk file from AOSP if you can find it. Or you could try and find an AOSP based ROM.

Wasn't KitKat just the same though? It just still had the old gallery as well.

This would probably work - grab the 2nd lollipop developer preview for nexus 5. It had the Gallery app. adb pull the apk to your computer, flash lollipop factory image again, then adb push the apk onto it.

Anyone know how to get the old-style Gallery back. Not liking the Lollipop photo storage and much preferred the KitKat way of separating different images, collated by source.

Yeah I'm not a fan of just having the Google Photos bit.

I did use that for auto backup and for "stories". But the gallery was much easier to navigate, I thought, in how it grouped your photos into downloads, screenshots, whatsapp etc etc.

No button to silence your phone now either. Tiny thing, but not a huge fan of that.

FWIW I like Lollipop. Seems quicker, and stuff is generally just slicker and looks nicer. Whether that's because it's different or genuinely better remains to be told.

Can't say I've noticed anything major though. Nothing that's made me go "Wow!" or, similarly "NOOOOOOOO!"

Detailed review, I'm sure you'd agree. 4/10, would not bang

Anyone managed to go for a Nexus 9? My dad's in the market four a new tablet as his 2012 7 has died a death. Read the reviews which I mostly read as 'we expected more but it's not necessarily a bad machine' more then anything else. Must admit I kinda like it myself in all honesty.

I have the Nexus 9 and I like it. Its a big upgrade from my nexus 7 2012 edition.

I think most of the sniping was down to the price being so much higher than the Nexus 7, I got mine for £289.00 from Currys with an O2 Priority code but I think they have reduced the price by £10.00 and if you order online you can use a code to knock of an extra £20.00

Just out of interest I had a look the other day at the trade in value for the Nexus 5 and was amazed how low it was. at most places it was down to two figures you will really struggle to get £100+ for it in really good condition.

Just out of interest I had a look the other day at the trade in value for the Nexus 5 and was amazed how low it was. at most places it was down to two figures you will really struggle to get £100+ for it in really good condition.

I know, it's crazy for such a good phone.

Liking Lollipop atm. The only thing I dislike is the fact that when you hold the power button there's no option to make it silent or vibrate. Just a minor thing. Really looking the way it looks though.

Yeah I said that above. Personal preference but I liked it like that.

Yeah I like the way it looks too. A bit more cartoony than before, in a good way. Curved edges and brighter colours.

Liking Lollipop atm. The only thing I dislike is the fact that when you hold the power button there's no option to make it silent or vibrate. Just a minor thing. Really looking the way it looks though.

I always thought that was a bit pointless before as the volume button on the other side does exactly that.

I've had to change the keyboard back to the old style one, really didn't like the letters not being seperated.

Â