PL: Wigan a Match Thread 2009/03/16 19:45

limpid

Absolute must win.

Could purely depend on which Wigan turn up! You just can't predict whether it'll be the team that beat Chelsea and Liverpool or the team that lost 4-0 to Bolton.

Obviously, I hope its the latter.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

listen we need to avenge that first game of the season. it was a freak result. lets not forget we had no dunney, no collins and no downing for that game.

hopefully we can win in style but wont be easy. i think if you want cl you have to win these kind of games

If we fail to win I'm going to stop dreaming of sneaking into the CL next year.

Win and it's all up for grabs

Simplicity FTW

That's about how I see it. A draw wouldn't be a disastrous result considering that Liverpool lost and Man City drew at Wigan, but I would see it as one draw too many for us. We would then be unbeaten in eight games, but having drawn six of those eight. That's the sort of unbeaten run that gets you nowhere.

A win on the other hand would get me seriously believing again. We would then have two very winnable home games coming up, with a chance of being fourth by the middle of next week if we can win them.

Come on Villa, keep the dream alive!

Wigan play a nice passing game (when they turn up). There will be no benefit in playing Cuellar on the right.

Luke Young must play!!

I'd go:

Friedel

L Young Dunne Collins Warnock

Downing Petrov Milner A Young

Gabby Carew

Centre back pairing of Collins & Dunne due to their performances against Stoke.

If Gabby is still recovering from his bug then I'd probably take him off at half time and bring Delph on in a 4-5-1.

Martin O'Neill insists Villa have a "hectic" schedule ahead of them - but he is relishing the battle in both the Barclays Premier League and FA Cup.

Over a period of two months between January 20 and March 20, Villa will have played 16 games in 66 days - that's one every four days.

The Villa boss is adamant Villa must be "up to the task" as he revealed squad rotation will be key in the run-in.

He said: "We've had as pretty hectic schedule. We got through to the Carling Cup final, we are in the semi-final of the FA Cup and naturally when you're making a decent run at the FA Cup, you are going to have postponements.

"We're fitting games in, trying to get them sorted out so that in itself lends for a heavy schedule but I would prefer that to not being involved at all.

"Having said that, it is the utilisation of the squad now from here on in that I'm hoping will sort things out. We've had to re-arrange a lot of games.

"What has happened is we have been going non-stop. There is a period by March 20 where we will have played 16 games in 66 days - one every four days and that is a lot.

"It will be hectic schedule for us. I know that and we have to be up for the task."

O'Neill admits Villa are fighting to finish in the top four, despite his admiration for the other teams in the mix.

He added: "Tottenham have got some points on the board and at this stage of the season that is the most important issue.

"Manchester City are still very strong and very much in contention and, despite the fact Liverpool got beaten last week, they cannot be written off and have the capabilities to win games.

"It has been difficult for them this year but they are also capable of winning six on the trot.

"We are up against those sides who have definite potential to finish in the top four. Manchester City have as good a chance as anybody because they have no cup matches, they have the strongest squad of all, that is to be expected with the money spent, and they will go very, very close.

"I sometimes have to divorce myself from a lot of talk that seems to gather momentum. It is only two weeks ago we contested the Carling Cup final and last week we got through to the FA Cup semi-finals.

"We are going to Wigan to try and win and keep us in contention for that elusive fourth spot.

"You look at this season and the number of games the top sides have lost this year and they would all have been surprised at that.

"I think it has made for a more exciting race, not just for the championship itself but also the race for fourth place.

"There will be points dropped when teams play each other but also points will be dropped because it has been the nature of this season."

Click

Just Curious. Several have said you expect us to change things up. Why?

I understand the logic of those that think MON doesn't change the line-up enough. (Although I'm not convinced they are right, I can concede that their logic makes some sense. I just think there is some logical sense in a consistent line-up, too.) I can understand agreeing or disagreeing with the managers preference for a consistent line-up.

Those who "expect" to see changes puzzle me. I don't know what would cause you to expect MON to change his obvious preference for a stable line-up. Why do you expect that to change now?

I'm not asking if he's right to be consistent or not. That's been argued into the ground here repeatedly. I'm asking why you expect him to change it up at this point in time.

I would play:

-------------------Friedel

---L.Young--Collins--Dunne--Warnock

--Albrighton--Milner--Petrov--A.Young

------------Carew-----Gabby

MON will play:

-----------------Friedel

---Cuellar--Collins--Dunne--Warnock

--Downing--Milner--Petrov--A.Young

----------Heskey---Gabby

FACT!

I'm surprised so many people are hoping for or expect changes for the game tonight, it will be the same line up as at Stoke only with Gabby coming in for one of the two big lumps. I would hope it is in Heskey's place but experience tells me it will be in place of Carew.

As for the game itself it will be interesting to see which Wigan turn up as for us we will go about our business in the normal way it remains to be seen if it will work.

I hate the phrase must win game as no one game makes or breaks a season in reality but I have to admit if we fail to win tonight I think our chances for 4th are slim.

Can't go to this because I've no more days to book off at *bleep*in work the pieces of *bleep*in *bleep*ers. I already had my ticket for the original date aswell until it got called off from *bleep*in underground pitch failure or some sort of *bleep*. Ah well, atleast I sold it on I guess...