PL: Wigan a Match Thread 2009/03/16 19:45

limpid

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be able to win this with relative ease.

What like when we played them at our place?

I thought that was strange comment from Mantis alright, Wigan are the most unpredictable team in the league, were excellent against Liverpool, brutal today judging by the scoreline.

Should be able to win this with relative ease.

What like when we played them at our place?

I thought that was strange comment from Mantis alright, Wigan are the most unpredictable team in the league, were excellent against Liverpool, brutal today judging by the scoreline.

I agree mate. They've beaten Liverpool and Chelsea at home so are no pushovers but then they've been on the end of a number of thumpings. No way of knowing which Wigan we will face.

Probably a good one after today!!

They'll be looking to respond and be pumped up while we might be physically very tired from such a tough game.

It has the ingredients of a disaster, however Gabby will be 100% fit and has always caused problems on this pitch if I remember rightly. 4-5-1 possibly the way to go to combat abit of tiredness in the midfield with view to 4-4-2 in the second half.

Gabby has to start and whilst i am normally an advocate of Heskey starting, I think i'd opt for Carew for this one.

I have no confidence this will happen but Luke Young should be starting, rest either Collins or Cuellar.... our ball retention is better with him in the side and hes less ponderous in terms of attempting to overlap, get balls into the box etc

Guest Ricardomeister

I would say that we probably will need to win our next 3 games to give us a good chance of top 4. I have assumed we will probably need to average 2 points a game so with a likely defeat at Chelsea (or maybe a draw if we play well) that means we need to beat Wigan, Wolves and Sunderland, which is something a top 4 team should be able to do.

I just hope that MON shows a bit more willingness to go all out for the win on Tuesday night, by varying his tactics or formation/team selection or maybe even using his subs bench! There are a few very tired looking players out there so I think we have to start using the squad a bit more. Jimmy and Downing need a game or 2 to rest imo as they both look jaded to me. Also, although Stan was our best midfielder yesterday I think a game or 2 to rest would help him. Ash looks reasonably fresh but our 5th midfielder, Heskey, could do with a rest too imo! At least Gabby has had a bit of a rest and after his 45 minutes of exertion at Reading, Carew had a nice 75 minute rest on the pitch yesterday and 15 on the bench! A rocket up the backside would be better for him!

I do think that the likes of Sidwell, Delph, Luke and the Fonz should be given a game or 2 (obviously not all at the same time) as the team needs freshening up imo.

Although we are unbeaten in the league this year we have still only picked up 11 points from 7 games (including 4 0-0 draws!) which is nowhere near what is required for the top 4. I have been harping on for weeks that I thought that too many draws and a conservative (or what many neutrals would call negative) approach would cost us. From now on we have to take the risk of losing a point in order to hopefully gain 2. I hope, and expect, to see this, starting on Tuesday night.

Also, if we keep playing the same tired eleven every game then I cannot see anything other than a meek capitulation to Chelsea at Wembley.

UTV SOTC

The same Villa always turn up, same team, same tactics it just depends on the opposition if it works or not.

The unfortunate truth. But once again i will hope that Heskey doesn't start and L.Young plays at rb.

This is a huge game for us, if we don't win this I predict we might go on our usual March wobble.

Wigan will have a good energy in the middle of the park with McCarthy & Diame. Therefore I'd change our formation and go to a 4-5-1.

Friedel

L Young

Cuellar

Dunne

Warnock

A Young

Petrov

Milner

Delph

Downing

Agbonlahor

I think we'll have a good chunk of the possession, Wigan will keep the ball on the deck a lot more than Stoke did, this could play nicely in to our hands.

I'd go

Fried

Young

Cuellar

Dunne

Warnock

Albrighton

Delph

Petrov

Milner

Young

Agbag

---

Team will be same that couldn't do anything against Stoke with Agbag maybe coming in for Carew.

Anyone know what time the coaches are leaving? In two minds about going

Don't know what time they are leaving but if anyone has any other transport ideas please do share :D

But obviously, share it in the travel thread, not the match thread.

I think I'd go:

--------------Friedel----------------

Young--Collins--Dunne--Warnock

--------------Petrov---------------

Young--------Milner------Downing

------------Agbonlahor------------

plus one from Heskey, Carew, Delph or Delfouneso.

I'm struggling on the plus one though.

I think what I'd like to see is Delph in this formation:

----------Petrov---Delph----------

Young---------------------Downing

---------------Milner---------------

------------Agbonlahor------------

but I suspect we'll get this instead:

--------------Petrov---------------

Young--Heskey---Milner--Downing

------------Agbonlahor-------------

Which we'll pass off as a 4-4-2 as usual.

I'm not too fussed on which of Young or Cuellar plays at right back in all honesty.

Id fully expect to see some changes for this one. As many have been saying id go 4-5-1. This formation would help us dominate the middle of the park and it gets us passing it around and playing decent football.