PL: Wigan a Match Thread 2009/03/16 19:45

limpid

I know it aint gonna happen but i'd like to see this side...

-----------------Guzan----------------------

Young------Cuellar--Dunne--Warnock----

Albrighton--Petrov--Delph--Milner--Young

------------------Carew---------------------

That while risky should still be a strong enough side to get us a result and rests almost half a side: Friedel, Collins, Downing, Heskey, Agbonlahor - all of whom could start against Wolves.

Gabby is an absolute must. No doubt about it.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ricardomeister
The likelyhood of a team selection that doesnt feauture atleast 10 of the 11 that started last week?

Minimal.

and rightly so

If you want a solid defence, a tired midfield and a toothless attack and are happy with yet another 0-0 draw. This is a must win game so I would much prefer to see 3 or 4 fresh sets of legs and ideas....plus maybe even some tactical subs if things are not going to plan where the subs actually have time to make an impact. We have a squad of players, not just 11 or 12 so we need to use the squad or our season will fall away as it did last season imo.

Exactly, we need a win! So best XI possible. Tired professional footballers do not exist in my book. Its a bollocks excuse for a crap result!!!

But the best eleven possible is not necessarily the same eleven every week. Some players will inevitably not be 100% every week or will feel jaded or will have little knocks or will just be out of form. In the league we have won only 2 of the last 9 so we are hardly in top form or playing scintlillating football. So for me the best possible eleven to give us the best chance of winning tonight would have 3 or 4 changes.

I'm hoping for a couple of goals at least.

May whack some money on Paddy Power... hmm.

Don't think we'll see many changes, Gabby back in for Carew I'd guess (unless Heskey is injured and I've not noticed) and maybe Luke Young in for someone. But most likely not.

Still, should win. Suspect it's not going to be a classic mind. We'll try to win in third gear.

The likelyhood of a team selection that doesnt feauture atleast 10 of the 11 that started last week?

Minimal.

and rightly so

If you want a solid defence, a tired midfield and a toothless attack and are happy with yet another 0-0 draw. This is a must win game so I would much prefer to see 3 or 4 fresh sets of legs and ideas....plus maybe even some tactical subs if things are not going to plan where the subs actually have time to make an impact. We have a squad of players, not just 11 or 12 so we need to use the squad or our season will fall away as it did last season imo.

Exactly, we need a win! So best XI possible. Tired professional footballers do not exist in my book. Its a bollocks excuse for a crap result!!!

But the best eleven possible is not necessarily the same eleven every week. Some players will inevitably not be 100% every week or will feel jaded or will have little knocks or will just be out of form. In the league we have won only 2 of the last 9 so we are hardly in top form or playing scintlillating football. So for me the best possible eleven to give us the best chance of winning tonight would have 3 or 4 changes.

But thats not based on anything. People moan at MON for not rotating/using subs but ive grown to realise that the reason for that is clear!!! Only time weve really changed the squad is in europe v Rapid Vienna - Lost!!! FA cup at home to Brighton - Hardly an impressive win. Carling cup v QPR and Leicester in previous years - LOST

We are nowhere near good enough to be chopping and changing like the top teams are. Deal with it.

FA cup at home to Brighton - Hardly an impressive win. Carling cup v QPR and Leicester in previous years - LOST

We are nowhere near good enough to be chopping and changing like the top teams are. Deal with it.

Actually I thought the win against Brighton was excellent. Albrighton tore them apart until he had to go off, Delph looked superb, Milner and Downing were a different class.

Guest Ricardomeister

Minimal.

and rightly so

But thats not based on anything. People moan at MON for not rotating/using subs but ive grown to realise that the reason for that is clear!!! Only time weve really changed the squad is in europe v Rapid Vienna - Lost!!! FA cup at home to Brighton - Hardly an impressive win. Carling cup v QPR and Leicester in previous years - LOST

Seeing as the entire bench, except the Fonz, was bought by MON, then by your logic MON has wasted several million pounds as these people are not good enough to do a job. Nobody is suggesting wholesale changes but a few selected changes to replace seemingly jaded/off form players seems like simple common sense to me. When the likes of Luke played against Man Ure (away) and Bolton (home) or Sidwell played against Blues/Liverpool (away) Chelsea/Bolton (home) or Davies/Beye against Liverpool (away)etc etc it had no detrimental effect. Also, by your rather warped logic none of our promising youngsters such as Delph/Fonz/Albrighton/Clark should get a chance because they are not the best eleven.

Sorry, but your logic is totally flawed imo and if we take your road then I would expect a similar result to last season's woeful ending and a tame capitulation to Chelsea in the FA Cup semi.

May whack some money on Paddy Power... hmm.
Thought you were referring to Dunne then. :lol:

I do normally back a defender to score so I might actually have money on Dunne. Don't think I'd ever call him Paddy Power mind. Certainly not to his face.

Most of the bench weren't signed to help us break into the top 4 this season, most of them were signed as our squad was improving and while our aims were changing. We need to start signing better players but I don't think we should expect a bench load of players good enough to come in and maintain a top 4 challenge.

Most of the bench weren't signed to help us break into the top 4 this season, most of them were signed as our squad was improving and while our aims were changing. We need to start signing better players but I don't think we should expect a bench load of players good enough to come in and maintain a top 4 challenge.

Totally agree. The current bench is about right for our current level although we need to keep improving.