The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

8 hours ago, BOF said:

Reading the wiki on that fight, despite being the champion, Berbick went into that fight a 3/1 outsider against the 20 year old challenger.  Berbick continued to fight into 2000 !

The one thing that undermines the Tyson era is the dearth of any decent challengers to his crown . He had tremendous hand speed with great head movement .and also a very underrated jab .for someone considered small for a heavyweight . Under the tutelage of trainer Kevin Rooney he ,at times looked spell - binding and unbeatable ,that was until Don King weaved his magic spell , and before you know it , he's been knocked out by a diabetic and incarcerated for hairy ape .  How can anyone recover from that ? He did get to knock the crap out of Don King , which I imagine was ,for him , a slight crumb of comfort .

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Bellews going up isn't he? Haye should win that, I think in the build up I could quite easily end up really disliking both fighters 

Agreed, neither of them is going to come out of this well with 4 months of hype trash talking each other to go.

Haye has advantages in speed and power, he probably takes out Bellew inside 5 rounds. Bellew isn't massive powerful at cruiserweight, he does have power but it is hardly outsized for the division so I doubt he will hit hard at heavyweight. It's highly unlikely that Bellew has the skills and footwork to keep Haye at bay all fight.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Bellews main defensive tactic of blocking punches with his face isn't going to work against Haye.

Haye isn't anywhere as sharp as he was 5/6 years ago but this should be over within 3 rounds.

Bellew is undeniably better than he was a couple of years back but even at light-heavyweight he struggled against Cleverly who takes 10 rounds to KO a fly and was also knocked out by an Adonis Stevenson jab.

The biggest issue here is that Bellew doesn't know when to give up and unless he gets sparked out cold he will just keep getting up and getting battered so it will need a strong ref to make sure that he doesn't end up badly hurt in hospital.

Can see this being his last fight so hope he is getting paid well.

Edited by LakotaDakota

12 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Bellews main defensive tactic of blocking punches with his face isn't going to work against Haye.

Haye isn't anywhere as sharp as he was 5/6 years ago but this should be over within 3 rounds.

Bellew is undeniably better than he was a couple of years back but even at light-heavyweight he struggled against Cleverly who takes 10 rounds to KO a fly and was also knocked out by an Adonis Stevenson jab.

The biggest issue here is that Bellew doesn't know when to give up and unless he gets sparked out cold he will just keep getting up and getting battered so it will need a strong ref to make sure that he doesn't end up badly hurt in hospital.

Can see this being his last fight so hope he is getting paid well.

I'm not sure it'll be Bellew's last fight as he has a world title which isn't on the line

I'd prefer to see Bellew have a better run at Crusierweight, there's some good fights out there and I think he'd be at least competitive against Lebedev who holds two of the other belts in the division, but would get utterly schooled by Uysk. Incidentally, as far as I'm aware Bellew's cruiserweight mandatory is Mairis Briedis, he looks very good to me and I'd pick him to do a job on Bellew. So you can understand Bellew taking this fight as it will be by far the biggest payday he will ever get. If he fancies dropping down after he gets knocked out then fair enough as he will still have the belt and I think it will be unlikely that he will come in to the Haye fight much more than 210lbs, meaning he won't have too much weight to shed to make the 200lb cruiserweight limit.

Bellew seems to think that Haye has a weak chin and all it will take is one shot to put him out and whilst Haye's chin is hardly granite I really don't rate Bellew's power anywhere near high enough to put out Haye in one shot. If you had to pick an opponent Bellew has fought with a relatively close style to Haye it would be Stevenson, a guy who looks to counter and ambush his opponent from outside and someone who likes to punch from mid-range rather than up close. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is Billy Joe Saunders fighting tonight?

Nope the Russians were late in submitting the medical and when they did it wasn't in English and was only half completed so it has been postponed for a week

Flannagan is taking on Cruz tonight (if Cruz wins he will be the first ever openly gay world champion)

Loma v Walters is on as well I'm looking forward to that one

• Like 1

Just watched Haye Vs Bellew presser on IFL TV on youtube.

Haye got push post conference in the face to face and managed to catch Bellew with a left hook.

The conference was quite amusing too. Haye going after Hearn for putting his face in everything like Puff Daddy and Bellew attacking Haye for fighting bums and being broke.

Â