The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Molina was a corpse, amazing that AJ is allowed to defend his title against this level of opposition and amazing people pay to watch him.

I don't think it matters who they put in there with him, He will do the same to Klitschko in April.

12 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Not a fan of Wlad and Joshua being so pally with each other. Also whilst Wlad is still trim, Joshua seems huge in comparison, his arms made wlads look like matchsticks.

Fighters being pally with each other before a fight never bothers me.  Wlad is a classy guy outside of the ring, always carries himself very well and considering English is his third or fourth language he speaks very well too. I like him.  AJ strikes me as a very affable guy too, he tries to avoid shit talking for the sake of it (the Dillian Whyte beef seemed genuine) but when the bell rings he's a mean bastard.  Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton were the same too. You can be a nice guy and sell fights if you've got it in the ring and I don't expect AJ not to try and knock Klitschko's head off when they meet next year just because they've shook hands tonight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Ruiz is ranked 3rd by the WBO, he is just a little fat Mexican but but he also looks quite fast and as though he has quite a bit of power, I've only seen bits of him on YouTube but that fight kind of made sense

Ruiz should have won, He is badly out of shape but was much faster, landed better combos & was generally the agressor for much of the fight. If he hadn't pretty much taken off rounds 6-10 he would have won easily and in all honesty he probably should have got the verdict anyway, or at least a draw.

I'm not sure the huge Burger King logo in the middle of the canvas & on the ropes did him any favours, maybe it's in my head but a fat man in a ring that is a giant advert for burger king just seems wrong.

Hughie Fury is now somehow the mandatory challenger for Parker as David Haye is fighting Bellew making him unavailable.

Full fight is on youtube if you want to see it, whilst it isn't thrilling it was entertaining/intriguing but joshua could beat them both on the same night.

Edited by LakotaDakota

8 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I don't think it matters who they put in there with him, He will do the same to Klitschko in April.

He really won't, unless Wlad has absolutely nothing left. I tend to think his gun-shyness against Fury was more down to Fury's jab being better than his and the fact that Fury was throwing feints the entire fight, rather than Wlad's age. Wlad has a much better jab than AJ and a better left hook, I also think AJ is very conventional and if he is cautious this will just benefit Wlad's ideal tempo even more. 

AJ has not fought above C class level so hardly any preparation for Wladimir, again, assuming Wlad is in shape and not mentally damaged from the Fury experience the fight will at least be competitive, and I'll definitely be putting money on him because he will be the underdog. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I really don't understand why they didn't put joseph Parker against Joshua? Molina was completely out classed

Why would Parker fight AJ in a partisan UK venue when he can fight a lower level fighter for a world title in his own country?!.

There are only about 4 or 5 heavyweights that could probably bang with AJ. After Klitschko I'm sure there will be no more duds. Should be the likes of Haye, Wilder, Parker, Fury and even Whyte after that. 

21 hours ago, West said:

Why would Parker fight AJ in a partisan UK venue when he can fight a lower level fighter for a world title in his own country?!.

There are only about 4 or 5 heavyweights that could probably bang with AJ. After Klitschko I'm sure there will be no more duds. Should be the likes of Haye, Wilder, Parker, Fury and even Whyte after that. 

Maybe to make a name for himself? 

Kal Yafai?

Never heard of him before the weekend...nice to have a local win something but he's a knuckledragger so I won' t be crying when he gets hammered

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Kal Yafai?

Never heard of him before the weekend...nice to have a local win something but he's a knuckledragger so I won' t be crying when he gets hammered

His opponent (Conception) really isn't very good at all and Yafai now holds what is effectively a paper title.

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Kal Yafai?

If you want to root for a local lad then Don Broadhurst is your man .

Edited by Brumerican

So Chris Eubank Jnr has announced he is fighting for the IBO title (what on earth is this?) in Feb on ITV Box Office (sorry, what?) against Renold Quinlan (eh, who?)

Safe to say Eddie Hearn will be pissing himself :)

Edited by West

1 hour ago, West said:

So Chris Eubank Jnr has announced he is fighting for the IBO title (what on earth is this?) in Feb on ITV Box Office (sorry, what?) against Renold Quinlan (eh, who?)

Safe to say Eddie Hearn will be pissing himself :)

Itv box office?? What the hell is that and who would be stupid enough to pay extra for that?!!

The ending of the BHop - Joe Smith fight was bizarre to say the least. 

Hopkins had been boxing professionally longer than Smith has been alive. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Never really liked B-hop, he has been an extremely dirty fighter and largely a dull one to watch. I can probably count on one hand the times he has genuinely entertained me, that would be his fights with Trinidad, Tarver, Pavlik, Cloud and Pascal (second fight). That said he has to be respected, certainly a skillful fighter and really has achieved unprecedented things at his age. Perhaps fitting he went out like this given the bullshit he has pulled in fights such as against Calzaghe and Chad Dawson. No way was he "pushed" out of the ring, a chopping right hurt him bad, his legs went and Smith punched him out of there. 

• Like 1

Â