The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's shite and always has been. He literally has no ability at all, not much power (KO record inflated by fighting journeymen), not much heart, and not much in the way of skill - awful, awful footwork and low ring IQ. Up until now he has gotten by on athleticism alone. Yesterday he was hurt bad by a guy with 3 KO's, and was out thought throughout the fight. At 27 years old it's safe to say he won't amount to anything, back to doing TV work if he can still get it.

How to destroy a man in one paragraph.

:D

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after teasing Klitschko for his December 10th fight, Anthony Joshua's camp have announced he'll actually be defending his title against Eric Molina. 

And as some guy on Twitter pointed out, if you don't think that fight is worth the £16.95 PPV which Sky are asking then all you need to do is simply place a bet of £1122 on Joshua winning the fight (at 1/66) to make £17 profit and cover the cost of it. 

• Like 4

To be honest there aren't many names that Joshua could have fought. They wanted Pulev but Pulev didn't want it. Parker has a title shot against Ruiz so he's out of the equation. Can't exactly pit him against a Wilder or Haye at a month's notice either. The heavyweight division is very thin outside of the big, big names. 

Re box office it won't do amazing numbers but it will still sell plenty.      

4 hours ago, West said:

To be honest there aren't many names that Joshua could have fought. They wanted Pulev but Pulev didn't want it. Parker has a title shot against Ruiz so he's out of the equation. Can't exactly pit him against a Wilder or Haye at a month's notice either. The heavyweight division is very thin outside of the big, big names. 

Re box office it won't do amazing numbers but it will still sell plenty.      

Wilder is out with a hand injury, should be back in action some time in 2017, I think these hand injuries will potentially shorten his career, he seems quite prone to them, if I remember rightly he already has pins in one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Sky's 'My Fight' preview of Ward v Kovalev. Great insight into the 2 men.  Good programme and came away liking the 2 of them to be honest. What does everyone think will happen Saturday night. Who suffers their first defeat? 61 bouts so far between them undefeated.

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

Just watched Sky's 'My Fight' preview of Ward v Kovalev. Great insight into the 2 men.  Good programme and came away liking the 2 of them to be honest. What does everyone think will happen Saturday night. Who suffers their first defeat? 61 bouts so far between them undefeated.

Kovalev  all the way for me . A real life Ivan Drago :D

A nagging feeling tells me Ward on points but I'm going throw in with Kovalev. Ward has frankly looked like shit in his last three fights against at best C level opposition . For me the long lay off he had after the Dawson fight and then the Rodriguez fight has eroded some of his reflexes. He is simply getting hit more, even Paul Smith landed one or two very hard flush right hands on him and Barrera landed a lot of jabs on him. 

Whoever establishes the jab wins the fight, both have excellent jabs, Ward's is faster and more educated whilst Kovalev's is a legit. power punch when he wants it to be. Kovalev is very skilled in his own right but prefers to fight mid range/ outside, Ward is the best infighter in the game, Ward's tactic will be to get on Kovalev's chest, smother him whilst getting his own work off with his free hand. Expect Ward to be the bully and try to man handle Kovalev on the inside. Ward loves to throw the jab then duck under, if Kovalev can time this he can land a short right to the temple/ top of the head and with his power will badly hurt you with that sort of shot. 

I think Kovalev has the skill and variety to hand on Ward more than any Ward opponent ever had, Kovalev works off the jab brilliantly but also leads with the right hand and can throw a nice check left hook and counter very well. Ward needs to sting him early to make him hesitant, Ward doesn't have huge power but has pop. 

Anyway, I think Kovalev will land a fair amount of shots and it doesn't take him many to hurt his opponent, so I think will win this in a very close fight. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Good to see Groves win last night, hopefully he can get his hands on a world title ad then if Degale beats Jack can have an all British dust up between the 2 with the winner having 3 of the belts.

Only problem is that Carl 'I must try and retain the limelight even in retirement' Froch will no doubt be mouthing off that he could still beat either of them and that he is the best boxer since Ali (yawn!)

2 hours ago, RichardCanning said:

Good to see Groves win last night, hopefully he can get his hands on a world title ad then if Degale beats Jack can have an all British dust up between the 2 with the winner having 3 of the belts.

Only problem is that Carl 'I must try and retain the limelight even in retirement' Froch will no doubt be mouthing off that he could still beat either of them and that he is the best boxer since Ali (yawn!)

Gutknecht was rushed to hosptial after collapsing, apparently he stopped breathing for a while, he was taking full blooded shots and his head was snapping back, he couldn't see out of the right eye at all and there was no way that he was going to get the KO he needed to win, I said they should have thrown in the towel after the 10th or 11th, another case of being too brave for his own good unfortunately

Edited by leemond2008

Incidentally, Andre Ward is possible the most dirty fighter in the sport of boxing, he systematically headbutts, holds, elbows and forearm smashes his opponents in every single fight, it would be quite interesting if the referee prevented Ward from doing these things, would completely change the dynamic.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Incidentally, Andre Ward is possible the most dirty fighter in the sport of boxing, he systematically headbutts, holds, elbows and forearm smashes his opponents in every single fight, it would be quite interesting if the referee prevented Ward from doing these things, would completely change the dynamic.

Kov has alredy addressed this, apparently he knows that Ward is a dirty fighter, he plans to combat this by 'breaking his hands, arms and legs'

I think Kov is **** great I just think that Ward will still be allowed to spoil his way to a victory.

• Like 1

The same way Ward schooled Froch ,the same way he should school Kovalev , although the naturally smaller man ,I believe Ward has the nous to overcome any obstacles ,that the Russian may bring on the night .

I do admire how Kovalev has lit up ,what was for a long time , a poor division .

Â