The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I had Koavlev winning, close fight but Ward got the benefit of the doubt probably because he's the home town fighter. Ward found something in the second half of the fight and made it hard for Kovalev to land but Kovalev still IMO took 2 of the last 6. I gave him round 1, a 10-8 in round 2 and also round 4 and 5 which if my maths is correct would give him the win. 

Ward is great at what he does, which is nullifying his opponent and finding a home for his jab, very much a one handed fighter. He totally outboxed Kovalev in rounds 9 and 10, but the rest of the rounds were close. Ward throughout invested nicely to the body on the inside when he could, but he was largely prevented from working on the inside by Kovalev, so had most of his success on the outside. Kovalev landed the more hurtful shots throughout and consistently found a home for his own jab. 

The fight was close enough for a rematch but I guess the question is whether a rematch is economically viable. It was a highly tactical fight, not especially 'entertaining' and given it was on PPV you can't imagine many wanting to fork up $55+ to see this again. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I've just got out of bed after staying up to watch it.

I enjoyed it, Ward effectively removed Kovs jab and double jab which he was having so much success with in the first 2 or 3 rounds, he fought exactly as was predicted.

I gave it to Kov but that was purely because he was the agressor throughtout the fight which I think swung the close rounds in his favour, can't complain at the decision because again it was close.

A lot of people are screaming fix and robbery, I wouldn't say it wasn't fixed but I wouldn't say it was a robbery if that makes sense, the score cards did come out pretty fast after the final bell and all 3 of the judges scored it in the same way, all 3 judges were American, that is the thing I really disagree with, there should have been at least two neutral judges.

was it a close fight? yes

did Ward do enough to enough to 'take' the belts from Kov? not in my opinion

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That was a draw in my opinion I think kov was robbed. Without question has to be rematch.

credit to ward though from bouncing back after being knocked down in the second, he was excellent. Great tactical boxer

Hard to say someone was robbed if the fight was a draw, you have to accept that in a close fight a draw could easily go either way so thus not really a robbery. Whilst I think Kovalev won, and having rewatched it I would score it 115-112 to Kovalev with the knockdown, I'm not massive upset he lost, I have it 7-5 in rounds but accept a scenario where it could be 6-6 or 7-5 Ward. 

Ward won the second half of the fight but didn't win all the rounds, he adjusted nicely and took away Kovalev's right but outside of say round 10/11 Ward himself didn't land much other than his jab and Kovalev wasn't exactly far behind in terms of landing his own jab in these rounds either, I guess the key difference in these rounds was Ward got in a fair few body shots and whilst Kov did get some very good right hands in they weren't as frequent as the first half of the fight. 

Big red flag for me was that all three judges were American in a world championship fight. So it's not hard to imagine that the benefit of the doubt would always go to the hometown fighter, especially against a Russian. I'm amazed that there wasn't a more neutral cross section of judges picked for this fight. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Hard to say someone was robbed if the fight was a draw, you have to accept that in a close fight a draw could easily go either way so thus not really a robbery. Whilst I think Kovalev won, and having rewatched it I would score it 115-112 to Kovalev with the knockdown, I'm not massive upset he lost, I have it 7-5 in rounds but accept a scenario where it could be 6-6 or 7-5 Ward. 

Ward won the second half of the fight but didn't win all the rounds, he adjusted nicely and took away Kovalev's right but outside of say round 10/11 Ward himself didn't land much other than his jab and Kovalev wasn't exactly far behind in terms of landing his own jab in these rounds either, I guess the key difference in these rounds was Ward got in a fair few body shots and whilst Kov did get some very good right hands in they weren't as frequent as the first half of the fight. 

Big red flag for me was that all three judges were American in a world championship fight. So it's not hard to imagine that the benefit of the doubt would always go to the hometown fighter, especially against a Russian. I'm amazed that there wasn't a more neutral cross section of judges picked for this fight. 

I only say robbed as now he has lost all his titles in such a big fight.

and thAts a excellent point about three judges being American. I definite

don't understand that

On 19/11/2016 at 08:16, RichardCanning said:

Good to see Groves win last night, hopefully he can get his hands on a world title ad then if Degale beats Jack can have an all British dust up between the 2 with the winner having 3 of the belts.

Only problem is that Carl 'I must try and retain the limelight even in retirement' Froch will no doubt be mouthing off that he could still beat either of them and that he is the best boxer since Ali (yawn!)

Was it? Personally I can't stand the irritating little shit

• Like 1

I honestly thought Ward would win without argument ,but having watched the fight ,for me,the Russian should of got the nod .

Ward made it his type of fight from the 6th ,but the rounds were still close to call ,put it this way ,if the decision would of gone the other way ,I don't think there would of been any complaints . Ward knows deep down he got lucky .

Reading the wiki on that fight, despite being the champion, Berbick went into that fight a 3/1 outsider against the 20 year old challenger.  Berbick continued to fight into 2000 !

Â