The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I find the whole AJ situation odd. I've watched him fight a few times and he's wiped the floor with everything in front of him, he's actually looked quite uncomfortable at the end of them being so mismatched.

Now he's fighting Wlad, who looked far from himself 18 months (?) ago and got beaten by a fat gypsy nut case. He seems over the hill to me.

I cant really see anything other than a comfortable AJ win based on what I've seen. The fact WK pulled out of the previous fight suggests to me he knows it's his last fight, no time for a rematch so wanted 90k at Wembley stadium rather than 20k at the O2.

I'm now a little puzzled by the Haye-Bellew fight....

Haye had a guaranteed shot at the winner of Parker-Ruiz for the WBO title, now whilst not as prestigious as some of the other belts, it is a world title which Haye could leverage to fight Joshua on a unification basis, and make a buckload of money. Instead he is fighting Bellew for no belt and the world title ship may have sailed.

Does Haye really stand to make that much from the Bellew fight?

OR is he just proper skint and couldn't afford to wait?

OR does he not think he would beat Parker?

Whilst I know Haye loves a celebrity lifestyle I always thought he actually wanted to be world champion again so why fight Bellew?

46 minutes ago, RichardCanning said:

I'm now a little puzzled by the Haye-Bellew fight....

Haye had a guaranteed shot at the winner of Parker-Ruiz for the WBO title, now whilst not as prestigious as some of the other belts, it is a world title which Haye could leverage to fight Joshua on a unification basis, and make a buckload of money. Instead he is fighting Bellew for no belt and the world title ship may have sailed.

Does Haye really stand to make that much from the Bellew fight?

OR is he just proper skint and couldn't afford to wait?

OR does he not think he would beat Parker?

Whilst I know Haye loves a celebrity lifestyle I always thought he actually wanted to be world champion again so why fight Bellew?

It actually makes sense, firstly Haye and Bellew will both make a lot for this fight, it will do very well at the gate (due to Sky hype) and then there's the PPV upside. Haye will stand to make way more than fighting Parker. When Haye wins he will likely chase a big money fight against Joshua should he beat Wlad (which I don't think he will) or a world title shot against the WBO champ, having cashed in big time on the Bellew fight. It's all about money at the end of the day.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It actually makes sense, firstly Haye and Bellew will both make a lot for this fight, it will do very well at the gate (due to Sky hype) and then there's the PPV upside. Haye will stand to make way more than fighting Parker. When Haye wins he will likely chase a big money fight against Joshua should he beat Wlad (which I don't think he will) or a world title shot against the WBO champ, having cashed in big time on the Bellew fight. It's all about money at the end of the day.  

You don't think Joshua will beat klitscko? I think he will personally

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Roy Jones Jr is fighting some sort of bareknuckle champion in February.

This makes me very sad.

I agree. Pound for pound he was the best fighter of the 1990's for me but he should have called it a day around ten years ago and certainly after Calzaghe beat him.

13 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree. Pound for pound he was the best fighter of the 1990's for me but he should have called it a day around ten years ago and certainly after Calzaghe beat him.

He was well past it by the Calzaghe fight, really should have packed it in after the Glen Johnson KO loss, you never recover from two big knockouts in a row.

If RJJ had retired after winning the heavyweight title in 2003 (just a few weeks before his 35th birthday) with a record of 49-1, the defeat being a DQ then he'd be right up there with the best ever.

It's a damn shame to see him as a joke figure. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DeGale was unlucky, I think the result was about fair although I agreed with the first card scoring it 114-112 DeGale, that knockdown in the last round of course blowing it, it was an equilibrium shot on the soft part of the head around the temple area, innocuous looking but you see a lot of boxers get hurt and stopped from shots like that.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I watched it, thought it was an excellent fight, result about right I thought, shame Floyd's had a bit of a toy-chucking fit and said they won't do it again.

Fair play to the referee for recovering from his knockdown and continuing with the fight as his black eye developed - I think Jack was the one of the three that came out with least damage! :)

I was in Tenerife in November. Tyson Fury was at the same hotel. He seems a genuinely nice bloke. No entourage just him his wife and another couple. He's terribly out of shape and working through some personal issues. But having met him it's changed my opinion of him. Before I thought he was a complete knob. But he seems to be a normal guy who is ill equipped to cope with fame.  He was witty, down to earth and happy to chat. They say never meet your heroes as they will disappoint you. In his case I now have a lot more respect for someone the media led me to dislike. 

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Speeling mishsteaks
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I was in Tenerife in November. Tyson Fury was at the same hotel. He seems a genuinely nice bloke. No entourage just him his wife and another couple. He's terribly out of shape and working through some personal issues. But having met him it's changed my opinion of him. Before I thought he was a complete knob. But he seems to be a normal guy who is ill equipped to cope with fame.  He was witty, down to earth and happy to chat. They say never meet your heroes as they will disappoint you. In his case I now have a lot more respect for someone the media led me to dislike. 

Harold Shipman went down a storm with the blue rinse brigade in Greater Manchester. 

I jest, but some of his views are a bit stone age and he needs to educate himself on a few things. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

, but some of his views are a bit stone age and he needs to educate himself on a few things. 

I agree entirely. That's why I thought he was a knob. 

But why is anyone that bothered what a boxer thinks about religion, homosexuality or sexual equality? He's a big bloke who hits people, he's not the US President. 

I also think some of his statements might have been influenced by drinking far too much orange cordial or a sugar rush from eating too many Wispa Bars**

** This sentence has been edited by the Villa Talk Automated Libelous Statement Editor. 

11 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I agree entirely. That's why I thought he was a knob. 

But why is anyone that bothered what a boxer thinks about religion, homosexuality or sexual equality? He's a big bloke who hits people

That is the price you pay for being in the limelight. As Andre Gray found out, wishing all gays would burn and die gets you into trouble.

I think its more for publicity than anything else. Mixed in with too much panda pop as you mentioned :)

Edited by Xela

Â