The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

14 hours ago, West said:

Paulie is a fantastic commentator.

I think he can be a bit of a mixed bag (especially on UK fights). He can be extremely good in some fights and so so in others, I really wasn't impressed with his commentary in the Golovkin - Brook fight but he was on point last night and his work for Showtime is invariably very good.

That said I am pleased that it appears Sky are going to hire him on a more frequent basis, he is head and shoulders above Sky's typical offering. Froch in particular doesn't seem to be able to score fights and is far too biased toward his mates.

Sky's problem in general is the hype it gives British fighters, there's a sickening amount of pageantry involved in most events. Last night Linares was announced as one of the "greatest fighters of this era", which is simply not true, whilst always being an exceptional talent, the whole isn't really the sum of his parts, and he has never beaten a top level opponent in any division he has fought in. On top of that he has been stopped by ordinary boxers like Tony De Marco (a guy Broner annihilated shortly after) and Sergio Thompson. 

Of course, Sky need to promote fights and sell them to a relatively 'mass' audience, but there's a point at which they are simply disingenuous and down right lie to people who may not know the inside track on things. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

• 2 weeks later...
Â