General Chat

Stevo985

On heights I'm usually ok. 

But I must admit going up the Eiffel tower shook me up a bit. I think it's because it's so exposed at the top and when I went it was a really windy day. So the whole thing just felt a bit uneasy

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But I must admit going up the Eiffel tower shook me up a bit. I think it's because it's so exposed at the top and when I went it was a really windy day. So the whole thing just felt a bit uneasy

I’m absolutely terrible with heights, and I’ve also been up there. Imagine how that felt. In fact, I’ve done the Empire State Building (three times!), the top of some serious waterfalls, Berlin TV tower. I can’t go home and know I didn’t get to see the view from the top because I was scared, so I push myself. But I absolutely detest it while I’m up. My knees are shaking and I can barely feel my feet. The views are stunning, but I can really only think about wanting to get back down. 

It doesn’t take much, either. Just the top step of a step ladder and I get kind of shaky. Terrible, and very silly. I’m not even afraid as such. I know I’m not going to fall down. I’m just really uncomfortable. I wish I could overcome it somehow.

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Like I said, I can conquer it if I want to. We went up the ET about 20 years ago now. I just hung back from the edge and I was OK with that, My daughter would have been about 5. No fear, she walks up to the edge of the platform with my missus and that set me right off, I might as well have been a mass of blubbering jelly on the floor. I had to walk inside and not look at them and even then the absolute fear raging through me was still unbearable (but better than before)

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Heights can eff the eff off

Never used to bother me, then they suddenly did

I can conquer it as I climbed Sydney Harbour Bridge but I still choose not to put myself in those situations most of the time

I hate heights but managed the Harbour Bridge, I think it's because you're always attached to it that helps.  Any other tall building and I shit myself.  Barely made it a third of the way up the leaning tower of Pisa.  A spiral staircase in a leaning building is a proper mind ****.

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I hate heights but managed the Harbour Bridge, I think it's because you're always attached to it that helps. 

Certainly helped but every step was a mental battle

21 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Barely made it a third of the way up the leaning tower of Pisa.  A spiral staircase in a leaning building is a proper mind ****.

There's a bit of that in the Anglican Cathedral Tower in Liverpool and I usually manage that OK but it is also a fairly short flight of stairs, not sure I'd want to do it all the way up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

I’m absolutely terrible with heights, and I’ve also been up there. Imagine how that felt. In fact, I’ve done the Empire State Building (three times!), the top of some serious waterfalls, Berlin TV tower. I can’t go home and know I didn’t get to see the view from the top because I was scared, so I push myself. But I absolutely detest it while I’m up. My knees are shaking and I can barely feel my feet. The views are stunning, but I can really only think about wanting to get back down. 

It doesn’t take much, either. Just the top step of a step ladder and I get kind of shaky. Terrible, and very silly. I’m not even afraid as such. I know I’m not going to fall down. I’m just really uncomfortable. I wish I could overcome it somehow.

I'm not as bad as that, but my wife is. She freaks out walking through those covered bridges over motorways at the services. And has chickened out at countless historic buildings. Any DIY up ladders has to be done by me (although that may be some evil life insurance plot). 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not as bad as that, but my wife is. She freaks out walking through those covered bridges over motorways at the services. And has chickened out at countless historic buildings. Any DIY up ladders has to be done by me (although that may be some evil life insurance plot). 

Thankfully, I’m not quite as bad as that. Which is, I guess, reassuring 😅

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

YEah see Empire State, One World Trade Centre, Petronas Towers, I've been up all of them and it doesn't bother me. In fact it's the opposite, I love it.

But being exposed at height is a whole different ball game

I've just remembered, I went up that big Eureka tower building in Melbourne, and there's a thingy where you can walk out on a glass gubbins kind of outside the building and look down and stuff sort of like a sideways glass lift that extends out of the building. And there's also a bit where you can go outside (protected by a wire mesh). Lovely.Library - 1697 of 3893.jpgLibrary - 1691 of 3893.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've just remembered, I went up that big Eureka tower building in Melbourne, and there's a thingy where you can walk out on a glass gubbins kind of outside the building and look down and stuff sort of like a sideways glass lift that extends out of the building. And there's also a bit where you can go outside (protected by a wire mesh). Lovely.

Never had problem with heights until there was glass. At CN Tower in Toronto they had this glass floor and I just couldn't walk out on it. After that I skipped things like the Grand Canyon Skywalk cause I know I wouldn't enjoy it.

45 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've just remembered, I went up that big Eureka tower building in Melbourne, and there's a thingy where you can walk out on a glass gubbins kind of outside the building and look down and stuff sort of like a sideways glass lift that extends out of the building. And there's also a bit where you can go outside (protected by a wire mesh). Lovely.Library - 1697 of 3893.jpgLibrary - 1691 of 3893.jpg

Nope. No way. Absolutely not possible. Couldn’t make me. 

On a similar note wingsuits has always fascinated me. Looks like the most amazing thing you could possibly do but there is absolutely zero chance of me ever trying it.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

I’ve stood on the glass floor in the Beetham Tower in Manchester.

It was a very typical Manchester experience, it was bigged up all day as going to be awesome, turned out to be utterly underwhelming, and at the end of the day I’d had to go to bloody Manchester to have my doubts confirmed. 

There’s a life lesson there for someone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve stood on the glass floor in the Beetham Tower in Manchester.

It was a very typical Manchester experience, it was bigged up all day as going to be awesome, turned out to be utterly underwhelming, and at the end of the day I’d had to go to bloody Manchester to have my doubts confirmed. 

You mean the Manchester Beetham Tower where the glue holding the windows in place was found to be failing?

Dodgy Scouse Building Firm with Carillion as the main contractors?

alarm-bell.gif

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I can't possibly think who you could mean. 

10 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Never had problem with heights until there was glass. At CN Tower in Toronto they had this glass floor and I just couldn't walk out on it. After that I skipped things like the Grand Canyon Skywalk cause I know I wouldn't enjoy it.

That whole floor is glass by the way, not just the "glass part".

The rest of the floor is covered with carpet :lol:

Was told by the guy running the lifts on the way down.

"Did you stand on the glass?"

"I did, but I was worried and my wife couldn't!"

"Probably best not to tell you the entire floor is glass and is covered by carpet then eh?"

"Oh you bastard".

• Haha 1

Â