General Chat

Stevo985

I remember seeing one of Louis Theroux’s weird weekends where he was talking to some militia aryan race nut job who suddenly started going on about how much he liked “are you being served” :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

I remember seeing one of Louis Theroux’s weird weekends where he was talking to some militia aryan race nut job who suddenly started going on about how much he liked “are you being served” :lol:

I'd forgotten that, that was bizarre!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I should say, he liked the show but wasn’t so keen on Mr Humphries for whatever reason.

He secretly fancied him. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I asked them if they were aware of David Jason, Eric Morecambe or Ronnie Barker and the response was no, not at all. I explained that these people in Britain are amongst the most famous people who ever lived in the UK. I went on with Bruce Forsyth, still nothing, same for Tommy Cooper. 

Age might be a big factor in that, rather than USA culture.  Or maybe you've just picked really really bad examples.

I was born in the UK and have lived my whole life in the UK.

I barely know David Jason by name, i had to check that he was Delboy from Only Fools & Horses.

Morecambe and Barker i think were comedians that my dad knew.

Tommy Cooper i've heard of - something to do with a fez and he told jokes, so stand-up comedian i'd guess.

Bruce i obviously know from Strictly Come Dancing.

Surely none of those are the most famous entertainment Brits you can think off!! :blink:

Edited by ender4

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I felt they were, they are certainly household names but I will wager to over 30 year olds. 

It's a bugger when it dawns on you that you're old. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's a bugger when it dawns on you that you're old. 

When did it first hit you that you were old? Time don't half creep up on you, I must admit. Time definitely goes quicker, the older you get. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

When did it first hit you that you were old? 

I still don't really accept the idea, now. I've moved on to thinking of old as 'utterly doddery and infirm'. I feel fit, healthy and compos mentis, so I just disregard age. 

I do think modern music is shit, but like I said, that feeling started when I was in my mid twenties! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I still don't really accept the idea, now. I've moved on to thinking of old as 'utterly doddery and infirm'. I feel fit, healthy and compos mentis, so I just disregard age. 

I do think modern music is shit, but like I said, that feeling started when I was in my mid twenties! 

Best way to be. You can get away with not acting your age then :)

Edited by Rugeley Villa

However... there's no denying the 'time passes more quickly' phenomenon. I'm very much aware that I'll be lucky to get more than another twenty years (could be less, of course). And the last twenty years seemed to fly by like about five. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

However... there's no denying the 'time passes more quickly' phenomenon. I'm very much aware that I'll be lucky to get more than another twenty years (could be less, of course). And the last twenty years seemed to fly by like about five. 

Shit when you look at it that way. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Shit when you look at it that way. 

Which is why it's best to try and enjoy yourself, although I do appreciate that at times that just isn't possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It is quite depressing when you think of it like that. My parents are 68 and 64 this year and I don't see them anywhere near that. They'll still the same to me as they were when I was a little kid! 

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

When did it first hit you that you were old? Time don't half creep up on you, I must admit. Time definitely goes quicker, the older you get. 

24/02/2018

On 2/24/2018 at 22:25, VILLAMARV said:

Am I a senior then? really? I have to sit on the 'old table' now do I? with the 50/60 year olds? Do I remember what It was like before Motorways? Yeah born in the 70's @lapal_fan but not the 1870's.

Cheeky wind up merchant whippersnapper word removed :D

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/17367-questions-for-the-seniors/?page=1

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â