General Chat

Stevo985

24 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Well, at least the rugby has cheered me up! (Sorry Welsh vt'ers - well, I say sorry but not really!!!!)

They've had their moments in recent years!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Well, at least the rugby has cheered me up! (Sorry Welsh vt'ers - well, I say sorry but not really!!!!)

Well I couldn't really lose this one being half English and half Welsh 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Have Amazon stopped doing the free mp3 download when you buy a physical cd? 

The last thing I bought from Amazon itself was 5 months ago. It's on the player though.

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Have Amazon stopped doing the free mp3 download when you buy a physical cd? 

No.  But it isn't available for EVERY purchase. Most of the cds I have bought in the last 6 weeks have had the autorip option 

On 11/02/2017 at 19:00, sidcow said:

Only connect really is the most ludicrously difficult game show. I have absolutely no idea how some of them work out the answers. 

It's very much down to practice - lateral thinking and working out how the setters' minds work. The  OC website has hundreds of 'walls' to have a go at. I got quite addicted to it after the initial bafflement. 

Edited by mjmooney

44 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's very much down to practice - lateral thinking and working out how the setters minds work. The  OC website has hundreds of 'walls' to have a go at. I got quite addicted to it after the initial bafflement. 

Caught the end the other night and blitzed the civil wars battle sites with 100% ... then got nothing on the next 2 categories 

it's like all these quiz shows I watch , if I get questions I know the answer to I'm a genius , not so much when I get ones I don't :)

my kids keep telling me I should go on a quiz show  ... bugger that I'll keep my humiliations to drunk pictures of me on Facebook 

I was just thinking earlier how the kidz these days will never experience certain the anticipation and thrill of an "all dayer" 

When I was a teen/into my twenties the prospect of a pub being open ALL DAY was just the most exiting thing that could happen on the entire planet. The Ship Ashore being the best venue for this.  My god I used to drink enough Newquay Steam Bitter in there to single handedly raise the share price of the brewery. 

Now they are all open all day,  it's just a regular occurrence and nothing to get excited about.  The yoot are spoilt. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I was just thinking earlier how the kidz these days will never experience certain the anticipation and thrill of an "all dayer" 

When I was a teen/into my twenties the prospect of a pub being open ALL DAY was just the most exiting thing that could happen on the entire planet. The Ship Ashore being the best venue for this.  My god I used to drink enough Newquay Steam Bitter in there to single handedly raise the share price of the brewery. 

Now they are all open all day,  it's just a regular occurrence and nothing to get excited about.  The yoot are spoilt. 

Pubs are dead now which is a shame. When I first started going out Thursday,Friday,Saturday, and Sunday were all busy but now it's rare you get a busy night let alone a weekend. 

17 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Pubs are dead now which is a shame. When I first started going out Thursday,Friday,Saturday, and Sunday were all busy but now it's rare you get a busy night let alone a weekend. 

I am convinced that the "chain" concept is to do with this. 

The pub companies spout crap about customers wanting to know what they are going to get regardless of where they are. 

I think they are wrong,  the brilliance of a pub is its individuality and uniqueness. 

Generally pubs that close ARE poor pubs.  Pubs that thrive are definitely the good ones. 

You would think all day opening would help them though.  Maybe they still have similar numbers of customers but spread throughout the day. 

However I think the biggest killer of pubs is the breweries and chains squeezing the landlords for as much as they can.  If you can't make a decent living from it you are unlikely to get good quality landlords and end up with a bunch of desperate knob heads running your pubs.  Very short sighted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I am convinced that the "chain" concept is to do with this. 

The pub companies spout crap about customers wanting to know what they are going to get regardless of where they are. 

I think they are wrong,  the brilliance of a pub is its individuality and uniqueness. 

Generally pubs that close ARE poor pubs.  Pubs that thrive are definitely the good ones. 

You would think all day opening would help them though.  Maybe they still have similar numbers of customers but spread throughout the day. 

However I think the biggest killer of pubs is the breweries and chains squeezing the landlords for as much as they can.  If you can't make a decent living from it you are unlikely to get good quality landlords and end up with a bunch of desperate knob heads running your pubs.  Very short sighted. 

The breweries definitely don't help. There are some decent pubs that do ok around near me but as a whole the Friday or Saturday night out around town is pretty much dead to how it used to be. I think the youngsters these don't have the same drinking attitude either because they would rather get tanked up at someone's house then go town about 11. That could be to do with money though. I absolutely loved the drinking culture but them days have gone for me until the kids are older and even then I probably won't be arsed with it.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

My son is having his tonsils,adenoids out and a grommet put in his ear tomorrow. First time under anastetic.

Had that done when I was a kid. Routine stuff.

dont freak too much when he comes round from the anaesthetic - he'll be woozy like buggery for a while. 

Hope it goes ok for the little man. 

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

Had that done when I was a kid. Routine stuff.

dont freak too much when he comes round from the anaesthetic - he'll be woozy like buggery for a while. 

Hope it goes ok for the little man. 

I'm ok but my wife is really emotional about it. No doubt she will be blarting tomorrow. I had a few problems with my ears when I was younger so I know the crack. Do they let both parents down to the theatre when they put them to sleep or is it just the one allowed? 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My son is having his tonsils,adenoids out and a grommet put in his ear tomorrow. First time under anastetic.

I remember having my tonsils and adenoids out. 

I was very young but I remember going round all the other kids in the ward asking them if they'd been to sleep in the time I had been away. I couldn't compute that I'd been to sleep and it wasn't the next day. 

Hope it goes all right.  It's a very run of the mill procedure. 

Make sure he has one of these when he gets home.  I had one so I guess it's compulsory

download.jpg

• Like 1

Â