General Chat

Stevo985

Is there a medical thread on VT? 

On Monday, I was running home from the bus stop, because I was late for my driving lesson, when suddenly my ankle really started hurting and I couldn't put any weight on it. I thought I'd have to cancel my driving lesson, but 10 minutes later it was perfectly fine and has been all week.

But this morning, running for the bus, it's gone again. 2 hours later it's still hurting when I'm not putting weight on it. Feels like it's on fire and it's constantly aching. Does that sound like a sprain?

Looks to me like busrunningitis, just stop running to and from bus and should be grand.

A weird one I read the other day is that it isn't

'if you think that you've got another thing coming'   it's   'if you think that you've got another think coming'

I can't get used to that, I think meanings can change anyway what some people call 'the living language'.

You really thought it was "thing"? Jeez. I thought that was just a dumbass American idea. [1] 

[1] VT Americans exempted. 

Edited by mjmooney

'if you think that you've got another thing coming'   it's   'if you think that you've got another think coming'

I can't get used to that, I think meanings can change anyway what some people call 'the living language'.

:o

My world has just been flipped upside down.

• Like 3

My world is equally flipped, by so many people thinking it's "another thing". 

Makes no sense. What "thing"? Nobody mentioned a "thing". 

You have a "think". It's wrong. So you have another "think". 

Tsk. Kids of today. 

You really thought it was "thing"? Jeez. I thought that was just a dumbass American idea. [1] 

Even now I'm still having diffuclty with the idea, I'm afraid I'll never come to terms with it. It's not a phrase I'd ever use and I don't think I've ever read it used the 'another think coming way'.

Tsk. Kids of today. 

What if someone said if 'You think I'm making you a glass of water you've got another thing coming'

wouldn't that make sense?

Rather than 'another think coming' I'd probably say ' you can think again'

Edited by useless

Literally is literally the most incorrectly used word.

Ironic beats it. Barely ever hear it used for things that are actually ironic.

"It's ironic that he's scored a goal at both ends today, one for and one against his team"

No it isn't. It'd be ironic a player had a shot, it hit the bar, and then went in his own goal. But otherwise. No nonononononono nono NO NO NO **** NO

Edited by hogso

Some of you are so stupid, it makes you real life borderline special. I was making a point...

My posts merely reflected what I've seen day in, day out, since I came back. I wanted to show you all exactly how it looks and how droll it is.

"Droll" means "amusing". Glad you enjoyed it. 

I also thought that 'Droll' had a similar meaning to bleak.

It means uninteresting yet amusing, I think.

It's almost a perfect definition for the Boring thread.

No it doesn't. 

"amusing in a quaint or odd manner; comical"

Nothing to do with being uninteresting. 

Ah yes, I somehow misread unusual as uninteresting when I looked it up  :blush:

Seems as though 'another think coming' might also be an American thing.

The exact origins of another think coming are mysterious, but it appears to be an Americanism, and it does predate another thing coming in the sense expressing disagreement. It goes back at least a century. Here are a few old examples:

Having elected him republicans think they have some voice in the distribution of the spoils and there is where they have another think coming to them. [The Daily Argus (1897)]

Those who thought taxes high in the past will have another think coming in the future. [Clinton Mirror (1907)]

If this Good Will Campaign is not a close race then you have another think coming. [Steuben Farmers' Advocate (1925)]

Edited by useless

Even now I'm still having diffuclty with the idea, I'm afraid I'll never come to terms with it. It's not a phrase I'd ever use and I don't think I've ever read it used the 'another think coming way'.

Tsk. Kids of today. 

What if someone said if 'You think I'm making you a glass of water you've got another thing coming'

wouldn't that make sense?

Rather than 'another think coming' I'd probably say ' you can think again'

Yes, that example would make sense, in that a glass of water is a thing.

But it's not universal. For example, "If you think I'm fooled by you, you've got another thing coming" wouldn't make sense. 

BTW I'm not suggesting that the "another think" saying itself is grammatically correct, or particularly expressive. Just that - for better or worse - that's was it is

And it seems it's American after all. It's just that - until today - I'd only come across (younger generation) Americans using the "thing" version. Looks like it's here, too. 

• Like 1

Droll is one of the most commonly misunderstood words. 

Another one is "limpid", funnily enough.

Lots of people think it means "tired and lifeless", but - as I'm sure Our Esteemed Leader knows - it actually means "clear, or transparent". 

my money was on the first explanation :P  :D

Some of you are so stupid, it makes you real life borderline special. I was making a point...

My posts merely reflected what I've seen day in, day out, since I came back. I wanted to show you all exactly how it looks and how droll it is.

It's just pointless, miserable, moaning, whinging, negative, boring tatt.

I started a thread tonight and instead of the people who were interested in the subject commenting, it was just spammed with pointless waste of internet space. Is that fun? If so, wow.

I'm all for a piss take and some banter, in fact I live for it. But that's not what it is. It's not smart enough.

And the classic retort is that I'm on my period? Quality banter guys... <Sarcasm>

tl;dr

Breaking news! An earthquake has hit the south west! People on the scene said it was terrifying - like a large truck going up the road.

All the flood water will go down the cracks made by the earthquake and Tony Blair will arise from a sink hole wearing white robes, but with a slight whiff of sulphur.

Been offered another job, paying a bit more money (£200 a month more, £120 after tax), possibly on a longer contract of 2 years plus instead of the 6 months I have left where I am, but its working on a new build site, not the renovation sites im on at the moment

What do I do.....

Been offered another job, paying a bit more money (£200 a month more, £120 after tax), possibly on a longer contract of 2 years plus instead of the 6 months I have left where I am, but its working on a new build site, not the renovation sites im on at the moment

What do I do.....

I don't think I understand the issue?

What I do at the moment is very easy money for what I actually do, I do minimal bricklaying at the moment, occasionally I brick up windows and doorways, very rarely do I build walls, working on a new build is totally different, wages are more because id need to lay a few thousand bricks a week and its been 9 years since I last worked on site, not sure if im cut out for it tbh

Â