General Chat

Stevo985

Anyone ever gone to the trouble of replacing floorboards? I'm considering doing the whole of my upstairs as the whole place creaks and moves underfoot. I'm guessing it going to be pricey, just wondered if anyone had any tales from doing it themselves?

I'm lead to believe that the squeak noise is made by the nail moving up and down in the joists (is that what they're called). One way to eradicate the problem is to screw the floorboards down. Won't look good if you're going bare floors, but if you're re-carpeting, jobs a good 'un.

I replaced a load in my old house, it was quite easy, but I did have the use of various electronic saws. The ball ache is the sanding, which is just horrible, and covers the whole house in dust for days and weeks. Then the not walking on then before the vanish is dry

nah, its carpeted over the top, its just they've been up and down so many times over the years they're all loose, creaky etc. Pretty much every room upstairs has creaky/loose floorboards.

Tempted to bung a few quid at someone to take them all up and replace them.

Anyone ever gone to the trouble of replacing floorboards? I'm considering doing the whole of my upstairs as the whole place creaks and moves underfoot. I'm guessing it going to be pricey, just wondered if anyone had any tales from doing it themselves?

sweep talcum powder over the floor to stop them rubbing together. simples

You need ring shank nails. There are grooves going around the shank of the nail which grab the floorboard and the joist below stopping them from moving. Worth a couple of quid to save hundreds getting the boards replaced. Pull the carpet back, bash the nails in, see if it works...just don't hit a pipe or cable!!!!

Played golf with Dean Kiely on Saturday, top top bloke.

He had some interesting stuff to say about all things football, including that he thought it would be a tough season for us. He's good mates with Given and said that Paul Lambert didnt realise just how poorer shape the squad was in before he took the job.

Â