General Chat

Stevo985

A thought experiment!

An airplane is sitting on an enormous conveyer belt. You control the speed the conveyer belt turns. Can you prevent the airplane from taking off by running the conveyer belt underneath it?

Great! I'm going to use that with my year 11 Physics class tomorrow.

So now, not only are you paying my wages, you're also writing my lesson plans!!

Cheers, Mike

I live to give.

At least come back and tell us how they got on with it.

you know how chinese students who come over here often adopt a western a name for ease of communication, nothing wrong with it of course, though occasionally their selections tend to suggest they've been reading a book of boys and girls names from the thirties, giving them names like Mildred Wong or Winston Ng?*

Times have changed. Doing some admin work for a uni department, came across one entreprising young man who self identified as:

'Gorilla.'

That's right, Hsu 'Gorilla' Zhuang ( Hsu Zuang wasn't the actual chinese name, just using it for illustrative purposes ).

COuldn't help catching a teachers brief report that genuinely was like: 'Gorilla has been progressing well this term, though he needs to improve his accuracy and pronunciation. Hard working and conscientious, 'Gorilla' hasd been a pleasure to teach.

One other, presumably comic book fan, young man self-identified himself as Tony-Stark' again, "'Yi 'Tony-Stark' Xian 'evidentally enjoys expressing his gregarious personality through the medium of English, but his cavalier attitude lends itself to silly mistakes in his writing'' etc.

The two bright spots in a day that was otherwise full of non-stop data inputting.

you know how chinese students who come over here often adopt a western a name for ease of communication, nothing wrong with it of course, though occasionally their selections tend to suggest they've been reading a book of boys and girls names from the thirties, giving them names like Mildred Wong or Winston Ng?*

Times have changed. Doing some admin work for a uni department, came across one entreprising young man who self identified as:

'Gorilla.'

That's right, Hsu 'Gorilla' Zhuang ( Hsu Zuang wasn't the actual chinese name, just using it for illustrative purposes ).

COuldn't help catching a teachers brief report that genuinely was like: 'Gorilla has been progressing well this term, though he needs to improve his accuracy and pronunciation. Hard working and conscientious, 'Gorilla' hasd been a pleasure to teach.

One other, presumably comic book fan, young man self-identified himself as Tony-Stark' again, "'Yi 'Tony-Stark' Xian 'evidentally enjoys expressing his gregarious personality through the medium of English, but his cavalier attitude lends itself to silly mistakes in his writing'' etc.

The two bright spots in a day that was otherwise full of non-stop data inputting.

Paging Ivan Legov...

Facebook is **** spooky.

Just now I got a message saying: "(X) has just joined FB. If you know (X), send her a friend request or a private message".

Now it so happens that I DO know (X) - she was my German teacher when I did an evening class about four years ago. We have no FB friends in common - in fact she has NO FB friends as yet, as she's only been on FB about ten minutes!

How. The. ****. Did. It. KNOW??? :suspect:

Facebook is **** spooky.

Just now I got a message saying: "(X) has just joined FB. If you know (X), send her a friend request or a private message".

Now it so happens that I DO know (X) - she was my German teacher when I did an evening class about four years ago. We have no FB friends in common - in fact she has NO FB friends as yet, as she's only been on FB about ten minutes!

Maybe she searched you?

Did you import email addresses or something or visa versa. It also predicts through mutual friends and friends of friends.

Like I said, she had joined FB literally minutes before - no friends, let alone mutual ones.

Thinking about it, it must have matched on workplace and locations. Still weird, though.

Facebook is **** spooky.

I think it's to do with emails. If her email is in your email account address book it'll pick it up.

One of the guys at work has been off sick for about 5 weeks. First reports were he had constipation so obviously we've been taking the piss and calling him sicknote.

Went in this morning and he's dead. Cancer.

Shocked is an understatement

Facebook is **** spooky.

I think it's to do with emails. If her email is in your email account address book it'll pick it up.

Hang about. What email account? FB knows my work email address, but surely it can't get at my Outlook address book on a work computer behind a firewall?

Anyway, I don't think she is in my address book.

Given that the wheels are putting approximately zero resistance on the plane's forward momentum (as they are essentially free-wheeling and the only resistance is the resistance that the well-lubricated wheel bearings are providing)

It's amazing how many people don't get this.

It's like they've never been to a supermarket, put a bottle of pop on the belt, and had it just sit there, spinning in place and not moving forward.

Given that the wheels are putting approximately zero resistance on the plane's forward momentum (as they are essentially free-wheeling and the only resistance is the resistance that the well-lubricated wheel bearings are providing)

It's amazing how many people don't get this.

It's like they've never been to a supermarket, put a bottle of pop on the belt, and had it just sit there, spinning in place and not moving forward.

You know, I've never done that.

I had physio again today for my hip, the docs or hospital can't do **** all for me (I'm not old enough for them to sort the problem, and I agree, I don't fancy a hip replacement at the ripe old age of 27) anyway thes **** physioterrorists are killing me, the exorcises they get me doing do **** all apart from leave me in massive amounts of pain.

I have tried to explain this to them cuz I went through exactly the same thing about two years ago, anyone else get the feeling that you get sent to the physio when they have no **** idea what else to do with you?

the exorcises they get me doing do **** all apart from leave me in massive amounts of pain.

I'm not surprised, although I believe not all exorcism has to consist of physical pain. The one employed here for instance seems quite serene ...

exorcist.jpg

Facebook is **** spooky.

Hang about. What email account? FB knows my work email address, but surely it can't get at my Outlook address book on a work computer behind a firewall?

Anyway, I don't think she is in my address book.

But you might be in hers. And there's a feature on facebook that allows you to search for friends based on the emails in your address book.

So if your email is in her address book, and it's the same email registered to your facebook account, then Facebook will probably make the connection.

Obviously that might not be it, just a thought

Its frightening how much information is on FB, I made the mistake of saying 'yes' to the option to sync my new mobile with facebook, my address book was chockablock (<--- is that the accepted spelling?) with phone numbers and email addresses of many people I barely knew. Could be very dangerous.

Anyone ever gone to the trouble of replacing floorboards? I'm considering doing the whole of my upstairs as the whole place creaks and moves underfoot. I'm guessing it going to be pricey, just wondered if anyone had any tales from doing it themselves?

Â