The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

10 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Not for me, I'd kill to see Achilles Last Stand live. 

which would of been on the legendary 77 tour. i love that song and its the best solo page ever put down imo. after 72 plants voice went and it was never the same again live and by the late 70s page was mainly smacked out of his head. they are my second favourite band but they are the band more than any other id liked to have seen back in the day.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2016 at 10:41, lapal_fan said:

Tried.

There is stuff I like listening to, but to me, nothing else compares.. It sort of, feels empty.

Although I am fully aware that my musical tastes are not the height of musical skill, it just sits right with me.

I'd love to love all different types of music, but I just can't - I've tried.

i used to be an oasis freak many years ago, i just grew out of listening to them. maybe once or twice a year i may put them on.

On 04/05/2016 at 09:41, PieFacE said:

I had to miss the Mark Lanegan gig on Monday night 'cos I was in call for work. Absolutely gutted. Did anyone go? 

I did, exceptionally cool and chilled out. Nice to hear the more stripped down stuff. Really odd though going to the Glee Club for music and for it to be seated also... He also was doing some meeting/greeting/signings afterwards but I had to get back. 

Mind you also getting that for Yes this evening too but I am finding pretty funny going to a gig in Symphony Hall. My taste is primarily Metal so the opportunity to go there is somewhat limited...!

Yes were great on Friday bit Alan White is looking a bit doddery! Jon Davison is a quality vocalist and Symphony Hall really does spoil you.

On 06/05/2016 at 05:23, Seat68 said:

I need a gig. Maybe i should pick a random band and broaden my horizons. 

Great idea. Random band starting up, in a small place. Quick listen on soundcloud to make sure it's something you can live with.

• Like 1

Brian Wilson this evening was magical. Started with Heroes and Villains, then it was hit after hit, followed by Blondie Chaplin coming on to play some tracks from the 70s. There was also a renditions of Monster Mash. Second half they did Pet Sounds in full, followed by yet more of the hits. Really great show, a fantastic band, and both Al Jardine and Brian Wilson were in top form. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

27544059906_efdb0e4141.jpg  27544044346_2f3961922f.jpg

So we got to Gloucester a bit earlier than we'd anticipated, had a wander around and a pint in a pub.

But strangely, Gloucester appears to close at 5:00pm. I don't mean begin to wind down, I mean like everybody clearly needed to be out of the centre by 4:59pm like some scene from a zombie movie. Shop assistants dropping the shutters, turning and running.

So we decided to wander down to the venue just to check out where it was and potentially find a bar. As we walked in through the door, one of the band, The Reverand D Wayne Love, was leaving. I said hi and put out my hand. He shook my hand, put his hand on my shoulder and said he was just going out and would see us later. He obviously didn't have a clue who I was, just a friendly space cadet kinda guy.

But, to the woman on the ticket desk and various assembled staff and security, clearly I was a close personal friend....

So, I turned to the guy I was with and announced 'it's through here', and pushed passed assembled staff and in to the main hall. Roadies are setting up kit, fiddling with lights and all that. There was someone at the bar, so I went over and asked if it was possible to get two coffees. Well, clearly this bizarre thing carries on because far from a yes / no / that will be £6.60 answer, they went away and came back 10 minutes later with what was clearly two mugs of coffee from the staff room, no charge.

Anyway, the band are called, they've had some personnel changes and this is a one off gig to run through their summer festivals set list. They played an hour, going through song after song until they'd nailed it. With just me and my mate stood there with coffees and I guess everyone presuming we were supposed to be there.

It got to the point, doors were supposed to be 7:30 but at 8:10 they were still finishing up the run through and I really needed a pee. I opened the doors of the hall, passed the two security guys and down a corridor full of everyone waiting to be let in. Went for me pee. Marched back through the holding corridor, up to the door, said a cheery 'cheers guys' to security and let myself back in.

The actual gig was superb, utterly knocked everyone (400 capacity crowd) out the park.

Earlier in the day, saw Alex somebody from Hot Chip do a little piano based gig in Cardiff in front of about 20 of us. 

A good day out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Neil Young in Leeds tonight. Three years to the day, since I last saw him live. Weird coincidence. 

What seat are you in? We're in block 108, row W. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

What seat are you in? We're in block 108, row W. 

Up in the gods, level 3. My mate's Dad is a proper Yorkshireman, so didn't want shell out for better seats near the front! We're near the front of the level though, so hopefully won't be too bad. 

Â