The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

37 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The loudest band I have ever heard was some lower division indie band called Bennet. They were excellent but ear splittingly loud. That said this week I had a hearing test and it seems that years of gigs have **** my hearing and a doctor recommended a hearing aid, I am holding off until I am desperate. Protect your ears kids, invest in some earplugs. I did, just 20 years too late. 

What you say?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginko said:

Each to their own, dude. I like that sort of music too, I just think bands like Wolfmother have much more quality and creativity within that genre whereas Electric Citizen sounded like kids in a garage. Technically they were decent musicians but missing the quality songwriting and creativity.

Wolfmother were a much better band for sure.

31 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

The loudest band I have ever heard was some lower division indie band called Bennet.

Did a spot of chart rigging for them.

Squeezed this into the top 70. Which got you noticed in Music Week, if not 'Top of the Pops' ;)

• Like 1

The Melvins are playing Leeds Brudenell on 20th June. Not sure I can get the time off work though. May just have to drive it, and go into work knackered the next day.

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

The Melvins are playing Leeds Brudenell on 20th June. Not sure I can get the time off work though. May just have to drive it, and go into work knackered the next day.

They're doing Brum too - might try to get along to it as I haven't seen them for years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Flamin' Groovies tonight! 

My mate asked me if I wanted to go to this gig, and I would have said yes, if I didn't have work tomorrow. We were almost in the same room! 

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

football AGM this evening, apparently there is 'a band'

Well, it was an EGM not an AGM.

The 'band' was four local boys singing and dancing along to a backing track of pop songs. Imagine, if you will, a subtle combination of the opening rounds of X factor where they are still laughing at the mentally ill, combined with Phoenix Nights.

I don't think we were their target demographic, I might have been the youngest person in the room that wasn't on stage. I think someone just decided any practice in front of any crowd had to be better than none.

But we all clapped, and then got on with the serious business of programme pricing for next season. Price hike to £1.50 agreed. Surreal. 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

But we all clapped, and then got on with the serious business of programme pricing for next season. Price hike to £1.50 agreed. Surreal. 

Money’s ruining the game

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

My mate asked me if I wanted to go to this gig, and I would have said yes, if I didn't have work tomorrow. We were almost in the same room! 

It was a bit of an odd one. They started off great, and steadily got worse. 

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Anyone into "Explosions In The Sky"? Just announced a date in Birmingham, tempted, but never really listened. Where would be a good place to start with this band? 

Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever, start here, phenomenal album, if only for the utterly magnificent Yasmin The Light.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Anyone into "Explosions In The Sky"? Just announced a date in Birmingham, tempted, but never really listened. Where would be a good place to start with this band? 

Going to see them this weekend in Bristol - should be a belter :thumb:

• Like 1

I made the trip down to New York City the other day to see Underworld (I live Upstate—think Canada) and it was well worth it. I had a neat little moment when I looked over during "Born Slippy" (from Trainspotting) and realized I was dancing next to Jonny Lee Miller (from Trainspotting!), who was rocking out just as hard as I was. Really happy to have had the experience.

Oh, and earlier in the week, I caught Ghost and Tribulation for another really solid show. Smart band, stupid fanbase.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2016 at 04:39, PieFacE said:

Where would be a good place to start with this band? 

At the show. Front row.

As far as albums, I would start with 'The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place'.

Â