The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have two tickets for The Long Ryders at Leeds Wardrobe on Friday 6th May, that I can't use due to a diary clash.

Anybody want them? 

I'd have been interested (after Mooneying them to see who they are ;)), but I'm actually going to the match against Newcastle, the following day (I wouldn't waste my money, but I'm going to catch up with an old pal). I don't want to be travelling with those Geordie pig dogs, so will be travelling on the Friday. Shame, as I liked the sound of them. Will check out a few of their tunes later too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Wolfmother on saturday at the O2 in brum. £22 a ticket to get transported back to the 70s. 

If you want to be transported back to the 80s there's a bit of live Mooney rock'n'roll over on the musicians thread. :)

On 4/10/2016 at 09:20, Rugeley Villa said:

Wolfmother on saturday at the O2 in brum. £22 a ticket to get transported back to the 70s. 

Saw them in Notts at Rock City last night. They were really good.

Came on at 8pm and were done by 9:15pm though. Did Joker and the Thief for the encore but it was just that song. Bit surreal to be finished before 10pm for me, but there you go.

They were awesome though. Ears are still ringing. The bassist is absolutely mental. He also plays the synth and on more than one occasion he was playing bass with one hand and the synth with the other. The other two were great too, particularly the drummer, but the bassist stole the show for me.

The support act, Electric Citizen, were a bit shit. I assume they'll be the support on Saturday too.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Ginko said:

Saw them in Notts at Rock City last night. They were really good.

Came on at 8pm and were done by 9:15pm though. Did Joker and the Thief for the encore but it was just that song. Bit surreal to be finished before 10pm for me, but there you go.

They were awesome though. Ears are still ringing. The bassist is absolutely mental. He also plays the synth and on more than one occasion he was playing bass with one hand and the synth with the other. The other two were great too, particularly the drummer, but the bassist stole the show for me.

The support act, Electric Citizen, were a bit shit. I assume they'll be the support on Saturday too.

Blimey, that's a really short show but it don't surprise me.

Well Electric Citizen only played 7-7:30pm (which was a blessing really) and they only had the one support act. I thought Wolfmother would have come on closer to 9pm but nope, pretty much came on at 8pm. They played pretty much non-stop for 80 minutes so I didn't nessarily feel that cheated but it was a bit weird to finish that early.

Have a good'un tonight Ruge, I'm sure you'll enjoy the show. 

Wolfmother were brilliant and I think my ears will never be the same again:) they came on at 9 and finished just after half 10. Ginko man, I really liked electric citizen, each song started off like it was a black sabbath song and they sounded really retro. The lead singer was a cross between Steve nicks and a young ozzy osbourne. i like wolfmothers albums but they are so much better live. Great night and I did not even drink.

I got dragged to a Muse gig last week. 

Seriously is there any need to have it that **** loud! 

Give me a bit of Engelbert any day.

Edited by Kingman

Dude there is loud and there is **** seriously loud. 

Back in the day i would stand next to the 24" black widows in Quest or the Institute for 8hrs and vibrate all night long off Micky Finn and Rat Pack. 

That last week was just a **** racket mate.

Edited by Kingman

10 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Ginko man, I really liked electric citizen, each song started off like it was a black sabbath song and they sounded really retro. The lead singer was a cross between Steve nicks and a young ozzy osbourne.

Fair play, I thought they were boring and formulaic, it was essentially: Intro - 1st verse - chorus - 2nd verse - chorus - bridge with a guitar solo (which was half time for a fast tempo song or double time for a slow tempo song) -  chorus - outro (which was pretty much the chorus). Oh, and they did the thing where they really slow things down to end the song. Seriously, I was predicting it by the third song. All their songs sounded the same and none were very good or interesting. A bit of variety and creativity wouldn't go amiss but they'll never make it huge writing stuff like that.

Lead singer was hot but she annoyed me with the dumb wavy shit she did with her arms and had no stage presence aside from being pretty. Voice wasn't all that either.

Could you hear the keyboard player? She was completely inaudible at Rock City and she only played on half of the songs.

Edited by Ginko

Went to Metal gig in a railway arch on Friday.

The bands were set up in the middle. Crowd around them.

Curved brick walls and ceiling, bouncing everything back to the middle.

Loud wash. If they were singing anything meaningful? Maybe the lip readers got it?

2 hours ago, Ginko said:

Fair play, I thought they were boring and formulaic, it was essentially: Intro - 1st verse - chorus - 2nd verse - chorus - bridge with a guitar solo (which was half time for a fast tempo song or double time for a slow tempo song) -  chorus - outro (which was pretty much the chorus). Oh, and they did the thing where they really slow things down to end the song. Seriously, I was predicting it by the third song. All their songs sounded the same and none were very good or interesting. A bit of variety and creativity wouldn't go amiss but they'll never make it huge writing stuff like that.

Lead singer was hot but she annoyed me with the dumb wavy shit she did with her arms and had no stage presence aside from being pretty. Voice wasn't all that either.

Could you hear the keyboard player? She was completely inaudible at Rock City and she only played on half of the songs.

I see your point and I don't think they will make it big but I just loved the retro feel to their music and thought they were a decent band. I liked her voice but she could be annoying at times with her arms waving about. We could not really hear the keyboard either and I don't see what she brought to the gig really but she could add something different on a studio album.  I'd definitely go and watch them and I'm also planning to buy their albums after listening to some of their songs today on YouTube. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like that retro doomy type of music.

Each to their own, dude. I like that sort of music too, I just think bands like Wolfmother have much more quality and creativity within that genre whereas Electric Citizen sounded like kids in a garage. Technically they were decent musicians but missing the quality songwriting and creativity.

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Seriously, if it's not loud then there is no point.

The loudest band I have ever heard was some lower division indie band called Bennet. They were excellent but ear splittingly loud. That said this week I had a hearing test and it seems that years of gigs have **** my hearing and a doctor recommended a hearing aid, I am holding off until I am desperate. Protect your ears kids, invest in some earplugs. I did, just 20 years too late. 

Â