The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Just back from Leeds. I'm very interested to see what Mr Mooney thought of the gig, but personally I thought Mr Young was on top form. Undoubted highlight was Down by the River, which seemed to go on for about 9 hours. Utterly brilliant. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Just back from Leeds. I'm very interested to see what Mr Mooney thought of the gig, but personally I thought Mr Young was on top form. Undoubted highlight was Down by the River, which seemed to go on for about 9 hours. Utterly brilliant. 

Absolutely **** ing astonishing. Quite possibly the best gig I've ever seen. And I agree about Down by the River. 

Just... wow.

• Like 3

On 11 June 2016 at 08:59, mjmooney said:

Absolutely **** ing astonishing. Quite possibly the best gig I've ever seen. And I agree about Down by the River. 

Just... wow.

He was great in London last night, although in typical Neil fashion the latter part of the setlist was very different to the Leeds show and much more focused on newer stuff and deep cuts. No Down By The River or Powderfinger sadly, and I get the feeling that some of the crowd expecting a greatest hits show may have been slightly perplexed (a 20 minute plus version of an album track from the late 80s is a very different beast to an extended DbtR!). Still, I admire the fact that Neil is Neil, and clearly just does whatever he wants.

He's clearly on great form, and he's clearly enjoying himself. I've seen him a few times in recent years and rarely seen him as enthusiastic as this. Playing with the new band has obviously done him good.

• Like 1

Bagged a couple of Sabbath tickets for Leeds on pre release (thanks Mr Mooney for pointing me in the right direction, when I got Neil Young tickets). I was quite cynical about their last tour, but now I've got tickets, I'm really looking forward to it! The last show is going to be in Brum, so I'm considering trying my luck tomorrow, and trying to get a couple for that (although I'm fully expecting that they'll announce extra dates in Birmingham).

Just now, mjmooney said:

I did toy with going to the Sabbath show, as  I've never seen them. But decided not to bother.

If I wasn't a big fan of their music, and was just considering going to say I've seen them, I'd baulk at the prices. Cheapest tickets £67.50.

jeesh, these ticket prices

I know you guys got good value with your Neil Young gig as it sounds like he 'turned up', but for me those £60 / £70 tickets are just too risky. Not least, when another thing that often goes with a £60 ticket is a view from 60 metres away.

It's no reflection on quality of sound etc., but a quick tot up of the last 5 gigs I've been to and I reckon my total outlay for tickets has been £38. What has come with that £38 quid has been a view from 4, 5, 6 metres away and on a few occasions a little chat with the band before or after the gig. 

I might just be tight.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I know you guys got good value with your Neil Young gig as it sounds like he 'turned up', but for me those £60 / £70 tickets are just too risky. Not least, when another thing that often goes with a £60 ticket is a view from 60 metres away.

It's no reflection on quality of sound etc., but a quick tot up of the last 5 gigs I've been to and I reckon my total outlay for tickets has been £38. What has come with that £38 quid has been a view from 4, 5, 6 metres away and on a few occasions a little chat with the band before or after the gig. 

I might just be tight.

No, I totally agree - the vast majority of the gigs I go to are of the small club variety, for exactly the reasons you give. I don't love arenas at all, but I'll bite the bullet for a Neil Young or a Bruce Springsteen. But Sabbath? Yeah, I was toying with it just to 'tick them off the list'. But then I remembered that I don't even particularly like them... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I might just be tight.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of arena or stadium gigs. I can count on one hand the number I've been to ever. I'm usually a £50, and no more kind of man also (although this year I've seen Neil Young and Brian Wilson who topped that). I'll spend more if it's a bucket list gig (Sabbath / Brian Wilson), or someone I know is going to deliver (Neil Young). Otherwise I'm happy to be stood in the back room of a social club, with 10 men and a dog, listening to someone only Xann will have ever heard of.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Bagged a couple of Sabbath tickets for Leeds on pre release (thanks Mr Mooney for pointing me in the right direction, when I got Neil Young tickets). I was quite cynical about their last tour, but now I've got tickets, I'm really looking forward to it! The last show is going to be in Brum, so I'm considering trying my luck tomorrow, and trying to get a couple for that (although I'm fully expecting that they'll announce extra dates in Birmingham).

Ditto - well on the o2 presale I only managed to get standing tickets but on the ticketfactory presale yesterday I got gold circle tickets for both Birmingham dates at over £110 each... Ridiculous completely but for me its significant to be there at the final homecoming shows. Didn't bother with Download as went to the Iommi talk at the Town Hall in March where he confirmed they would end the tour in Birmingham anyway. So many of the older stars now pooping their clogs whilst there may be intentions of future shows, Iommi still needs treatment and Ozzy does not see great, just only a matter of time. 

But yeah much prefer smaller venues, more intimate. Always get lost in the big venues.

• Like 1

Next gigs by the look of the diary are the annual Delta Bombers gigs, 2 in a week, Nottingham and Manchester. Thats next week and then Down At The Swamp, a psychobilly alldayer in Derby, only going for one band that my wife likes. I am the designated driver for all three of these gigs.

Stone roses tomorrow night .... To enter the stadium after public enemy leave the stage or enter the stadium early and wear earmuffs whilst they play , that is the dilemma 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Don't believe the hype, you'll possibly need the earmuffs for Mr Brown's vocals.

Just spoke to someone who was at the gig, and he said Brown was surprisingly good. 

Was at The Offspring on Sunday at the Academy. Was really good fun, though sweltering in there! Bad Religion were great support act unsurprisingly!

Tonight however, just heading off to London to see King Diamond play this in its entirety:

Abigail_%28King_Diamond_album%29.jpg

And cannot be more excited!:D

Â