The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

In better news Zeal & Ardor have announced a UK tour in November and got ticket for Wolverhampton show. One of the best albums this year so far. Cannot wait :) 

I saw that announcement. What an odd set of venues though. How about Birmingham, Nottingham? Nah, Wolverhampton and Colchester.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I saw that announcement. What an odd set of venues though. How about Birmingham, Nottingham? Nah, Wolverhampton and Colchester.

At least Wolverhampton has relatively good transport links. Whenever I have had to go to Colchester way for work, it is easier to drive for 2 1/2/3 hours than get the train or anything!

On 13/06/2022 at 15:47, Davkaus said:

Well, my first festival over the weekend, Download! It's an experience, that's for sure. If I were to go back (and we're talking about next year), it certainly wouldn't be on the standard camping, hauling your gear up-hill for 30-40 minutes and trying to find a site to pitch your tent that isn't pressed right up against someone else's tent. Then having another half an hour walk to the stages. All in all, the camping experience was pretty **** miserable, and Download seems designed to shake every loose penny they can out of your pockets. You can't take any cans or bottles in to the arena, for safety. but they'll sell you a £30 bottle of wine. rocket polishers.

3 days of cracking music though. Skipped most of the headliners, because Kiss isn't our thing, and neither is Biffy **** Clyro.

The Good:

Bury Tomorrow: Got there for their 2nd song because we didn't know how long the walk was. Got stuck right at the back, until he shouted he wanted to see a circle pit,. and I was able to sprint through the crowd and get into the action for, I think, Earthbound. Absolute carnage for the rest of the set, a brilliant start to the festival. And that is how I lost 2 of my toenails and spent the rest of the weekend hopping in the moshpits. Worth it.

Alestorm: Sea shanties, a massive rubber duck, and half the crowd getting down for a big rowing pit along to Sunken Norwegian. Never seen them live before and had no idea what was going on when thousands of us just got down to the ground mid-song...Then everyone started rowing. Mental. Was probably the most fun show of the weekend, and got my partner in there who doesn't like heavier music but got right into the middle for this one. We were actually looking at when they were next touring, today, so we could go and see them again, and found out the band are massive racist, sexist, pieces of shit, which has kind of ruined them as her gateway into heavier music. Gutted.

Spiritbox. **** me. They have come up out of nowhere in the last year or two, they were originally booked for the 4th stage, got promoted to the third, and the place was packed out with thousands of people crammed around outside trying to get a look in. They only got a 25 minute set, but the entire tent was bouncing for the duration, crazy energy in the set, and Courtney's pipes sound just as good live as they do in the studio. They'll be on the main stage next time they're back, and packing out arenas in the next few years, I'm certain of it, so getting to see their first UK gig in a still reasonable small stage was very memorable

The Darkness: My concession to the other half, didn't know half their songs, but it was actually pretty good fun. We left after their set, so the last song we heard at Download 22, in the middle of June was a Christmas song :D 

The bad:

Iron Maiden, I saw the Legacy of the Beast UK tour back in 2019 and it was a good show. This was a stop in their europe tour for legacy of the beast, and they decided to start the show with 3 songs off their new album. the place was dead. Picked up a little bit in Writing on the Wall, but you could have heard a **** pin drop without the music for the first 2, some polite applause at the end of each song, but after the second one, one guy yelled "PLAY YOUR OLD SHIT", and seemed to sum up the thoughts of most people. It was a spectacularly shit crowd as well bit of a mixture of some people trying to get a moshpit going, but 99% of the crowd just wanting to stand still, clap along, and enjoy seeing  "the big metal band". Picked up a little bit with the old hits, but easily the most disappointing experience of the weekend. The only band lame enough to go off for that fake encore shit as well. Twice.

Sleep Token: Cracking studio band, love their songs, but they make literally 0 effort getting the crowd going, no interaction at all, because it's all about their mysterious aloof persona. May as well have listened to them on Spotify. Saw them a few weeks ago as well, opening for Architects and said similar, but my partner wanted to see them so went along. I doubt I'll bother seeing them live again, even if I keep listening to them.

Deftones:  I like their stuff, but a poor live band, on this showing, Chino's voice was absolutely wrecked. Kind of painful to listen to.

Been meaning to comment on this! Glad you had a good time. I thought about going but to be honest the line up just didn't excite me enough to counter act against the malaise of the Download crowd. 

Of your good, Alestorm sadly do have that against them; although it was from the singer's other band Gloryhammer and can't tell exactly who those racists comment come from. Shame because they are usually a very good festival/drunk band! There are many other folk metal bands of similar ilk though if she liked that style.

Spiritbox - still can't decide whether they are just hype or not. The songs for me sound a little too polished, but if their live shows are pulling out the stops then might be worth checking out. I saw something that a little kid covered them on American Idol and then they got her on stage for the London show which is pretty cool. 

Not a fan of Bury Tomorrow or Darkness but glad you enjoyed! :D 

With Iron Maiden, I don't bother with their festival shows anymore. I like the new album but at a festival the crowd is just going to want the classic. Along with the sound generally at festivals being not great can't be bothered and I am happy to wait for the proper tour. 

Sleep Token - I have to say, I don't get the appeal. Don't think what I have heard is anything special IMO so not going to go see them live. 

Deftones - that is disappointing. Were one of those that were making more want to go so in a way I am glad I missed them! 

• Like 1

Billy Talent at KKs Steel Mill tonight. My grandson loved it. First time at the venue and I like the place. Was in my flip flops due to foot injury, wasn't refused entry so that was a result.

Not sure if I interacted with @cyrusr, a bloke offered me a chair as clearly I was struggling and I thought I bet that's him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Billy Talent at KKs Steel Mill tonight. My grandson loved it. First time at the venue and I like the place. Was in my flip flops due to foot injury, wasn't refused entry so that was a result.

Not sure if I interacted with @cyrusr, a bloke offered me a chair as clearly I was struggling and I thought I bet that's him. 

Haha wasn’t me but was there. Did try and spot you but didn’t see a little kid around a bald bloke.Glad he loved it, they are a really fun band.

Only been once before but they have changed it around since there, had a festival tent vibe I thought to be fair.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2022 at 14:07, cyrusr said:

With Iron Maiden, I don't bother with their festival shows anymore. I like the new album but at a festival the crowd is just going to want the classic. Along with the sound generally at festivals being not great can't be bothered and I am happy to wait for the proper tour. 

In general I agree with you on this, but their tour is called Legacy of The Beast, even without it being a festival crowd, it was just meant to be the old shit! Covid didn't help them, tbf, because I saw that tour in 2019 when it was just the older stuff, and they wouldn't have intended to launch the new album before finishing the tour. I need to give Senjutsu another listen because I still haven't finished it, but it was painful how little the audience reacted to it.

I think they are held back a little in that regard because of how they manage their set. They have these huge elaborate props and backdrops that get set up for the chapters of the show, so when they start the Japanese shit, they just played it all in one go. If it was some older stuff, worked the crowd up a bit, then sprinkled the new stuff in, it might have worked better, but opening the set with 3 new songs really didn't work IMO, and I can see why they can't just go back and forth like other bands do.

One band I forgot to give a shoutout for; Ice Nine Kills. I already loved their stuff, but it was a great set, and I've just grabbed a ticket for their show at Rock City

On 20/05/2022 at 17:39, av1 said:

Got whitesnake again on Sunday, really looking forward to it. Taking my 17yr old boy to his first concert in the hope of turning him into a rocker 😅

I have some disappointing news to report. My boy really enjoyed the gig, and I thought I was making headway. But he went and saw Harry Styles at Wembley with his girlfriend on the weekend and phoned me yesterday to say that it was a much better gig. 

He’s a lost cause. Harry fecking Styles better than Whitesnake, Europe and foreigner? 

17yr old free to a good home. I’d say I’d drop him off but fuel prices being what they are I’d appreciate if you could collect. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

I have some disappointing news to report. My boy really enjoyed the gig, and I thought I was making headway. But he went and saw Harry Styles at Wembley with his girlfriend on the weekend and phoned me yesterday to say that it was a much better gig. 

He’s a lost cause. Harry fecking Styles better than Whitesnake, Europe and foreigner? 

17yr old free to a good home. I’d say I’d drop him off but fuel prices being what they are I’d appreciate if you could collect. 

I ain't going to lie I would have sold my immediate family for a Harry Styles ticket. 

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I ain't going to lie I would have sold my immediate family for a Harry Styles ticket. 

You sound like the perfect dad/mom for my boy. The offer is open, we’ll go halves on the fuel? 😂

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

You sound like the perfect dad/mom for my boy. The offer is open, we’ll go halves on the fuel? 😂

Swap for my daughter. She loves metal. Sold as seen though. 

Been given a ticket for Jo Boxers on Thursday … mainly going as it’s in the 100 club and you can always guarantee a decent mosh pit down in the basement 

did they have more than one song though ? 

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Been given a ticket for Jo Boxers on Thursday … mainly going as it’s in the 100 club and you can always guarantee a decent mosh pit down in the basement 

did they have more than one song though ? 

Three or four hits off the one album - Boxerbeat / Johnny Freindly / Just Got Lucky / another one I forget

Dreadful band, possibly the worst band any of them have collectively been in (they have quite the pedigree)

I never understood how they went from Subway Sect to JoBoxers

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Might have found a new band 

Watching Idles on iPlayer , that’s my sort of gig 

You're a couple of years late! So was I to be fair, they had their 2nd (or 3rd?) album take off and then they put in a monster Glastonbury show on one of the smaller stages, it was that good I thought they'd get a shot at headlining the other stage, they pretty much stole the festival in 2019

Keep an eye out for fontaines DC too, they're there this weekend at some point, I always put them side by side with idles but I think the fontaines new album is better 

38 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Might have found a new band 

Watching Idles on iPlayer , that’s my sort of gig 

Their live sets are what one might call “blistering”. 

On a related note, why is it always a shock to see someone on telly you’ve not seen in years and see that they’ve aged? Teenage me would have walked over hot coals for Sarah Cracknell but to see her singing lyrics to their mediocre tunes off a piece of paper on a clipboard is somewhat disappointing. 

3 minutes ago, choffer said:

Their live sets are what one might call “blistering”. 

On a related note, why is it always a shock to see someone on telly you’ve not seen in years and see that they’ve aged? Teenage me would have walked over hot coals for Sarah Cracknell but to see her singing lyrics to their mediocre tunes off a piece of paper on a clipboard is somewhat disappointing. 

Ha …flicked over to crowded house and wondered when Milton Jones became their lead singer ( also forgot how bland they were ) 

Cracknell’s voice still sounds decent , bit of a change of pace after Idles :) 

• Haha 1

Â