The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Always thought “fall at your feet” is a nice tune, in fairness to Crowded House.

Into Temptation

Don't Dream It's Over 

Weather With You 

MOR/AOR, for sure, but very good at it. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For anyone fairly new to Idles, google up: Idles tiny desk  

Ta for that. Never knew it existed. 

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Into Temptation

Don't Dream It's Over 

Weather With You 

MOR/AOR, for sure, but very good at it. 

They are what they are. They couldn’t be more MOR if they tried but they are very good songwriters and from what I hear, lovely blokes to boot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

You're a couple of years late! So was I to be fair, they had their 2nd (or 3rd?) album take off and then they put in a monster Glastonbury show on one of the smaller stages, it was that good I thought they'd get a shot at headlining the other stage, they pretty much stole the festival in 2019

Keep an eye out for fontaines DC too, they're there this weekend at some point, I always put them side by side with idles but I think the fontaines new album is better 

One of my mates has already tried to turn me onto them after he saw them at the Isle of Wight festival

wasn’t really that impressed tbh , but maybe in about 5 years I’ll suddenly discover them :) 

Edited by tonyh29

Don't get the clamour for Idles, great at getting the crowd going but a few songs aside, not for me

From the bits I’ve seen so far St Vincent is the best but I guess that’s because I really like the Daddy's Home album but even then I'm not sure it comes across that well live

First Aid Kit were alright

Seen one Wet Leg song which was good but not watched the set yet

and that’s where I’m up to with Glastonbury so far

• Like 1

Caught bits and pieces so far. Tried to listen out for stuff I’m less familiar with.

Idles were certainly lively. Not sure if I’d sit down and listen to them. Entertaining enough.

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, not massively familiar with their stuff, but I enjoyed it.

I couldn’t name a single Billie Eilish song (maybe if her Bond song is the same as the film title). I have to say, watching her now, I do get it. Quietly impressed, I may investigate further.

15 minutes ago, choffer said:

OK, I’m gonna say it, and I realise that VT is not her target demographic but Billie Eilish is a proper talent. 

I'm not a fan of all of her stuff, but she's definitely a talented artist.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

Just watched the Kruangbin set and thought it was great. A lot more psychedelic than I expected it to be.

Just Googled them on yahoo , already knowing that they were likely to be shit if you were endorsing them :)

Not for me , just sounded like the knight rider theme tune on repeat  ( song I heard was for a live show in Glasgow , dunno what it’s called ) 

Khruangbin, to spell it correctly for the first time on this illiterate hell hole of a thread, are great.

They played the 6 Music Festival recently and were just phenomenal.

I’ve seen Idles perform at an in store gig at Spillers Records. I thought they were fantastic, though interestingly not so fantastic that it persuaded me to buy the record I was supposed to have already have bought to get the ticket in the first place!

I couldn’t go to a festival gig and be a kilometre back from the stage, or even to be honest, 20 or 30 metres back from the stage. That just leaves me cold I’d rather sit on the sofa and watch it on YouTube. But up close, 50 people in a room. You just can’t beat it. 

29 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Just Googled them on yahoo , already knowing that they were likely to be shit if you were endorsing them :)

I'm not endorsing them, in fact I'm not really a big fan of their previous material, I only have the dub version of the previous album but I thought last nights set was good and I might investigate the latest album as a result

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Khruangbin, to spell it correctly for the first time on this illiterate hell hole of a thread, are great.

Yeah couldn't be arsed trying to spell it if I'm honest

On Idles, there's lots of bands in a similar vein that I really do like, I don't dislike Idles either but the likes of Parquet Courts, Shame, Snapped Ankles are more my thing

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah couldn't be arsed trying to spell it if I'm honest

On Idles, there's lots of bands in a similar vein that I really do like, I don't dislike Idles either but the likes of Parquet Courts, Shame, Snapped Ankles are more my thing

I think Snapped Ankles are playing in Bethesda (not) this weekend, of all the odd places.

spacer.png

Have to say, Carwyn Ellis, Snapped Ankles and Ffrancon is a storming line up.

Also quite like the idea of ‘peripheral activities’. Although I was briefly in a band call ‘alternative vegetables’ so it could just be a support band.

Edited by chrisp65
Found it!
  • Like 1

Â