The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

7 hours ago, rjw63 said:

So...two 1970's geography teachers diddling around on keyboards?

I think they'd be very pleased with that review. Other than they'd have liked the reel to reel tapes they were using to also get a mention.

The first band that was on....I didn't even realise was a band until they stopped and a couple of people clapped!

There was a guy of about 40/50 in a Devo tee shirt with the long hair and combat shorts of a roadie, he was stood at the very back behind an amp, twiddling a couple of knobs making a wooshing sound. There was a guy with a guitar, kneeling down and facing the back of the stage, just plucking the occasional string. There was another guy, with another small box of knobs speeding up and slowing down a basic drum beat. Off the stage wandering around was a guy with a microphone, rubbing the mic on various surfaces (sticky carpet, table, empty glass).

I genuinely thought they were trying to get everything set up. But no, that was the first band. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

There was a guy of about 40/50 in a Devo tee shirt with the long hair and combat shorts of a roadie, he was stood at the very back behind an amp, twiddling a couple of knobs

300px-KennethWilliams.jpg

• Like 1

Heading to Open'er festival at the end of this month.

Seeing:

The Weeknd
Mac Miller
James Blake
Lorde
George Ezra
The xx

And various others

I'm just gutted we're going Fri/Sat rather than the whole week; missing Foo Fighters, Radiohead and Jimmy Eat World :(

Ritchie Blackmore tonight in brum. Really looking forward to it as he was one of my first music heroes growing up. Purple were one of the first rock bands I got into with Rainbow following a lot later. Wish it was a Purple show I was seeing him at or even a proper Rainbow reunion, but nevermind. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Ritchie Blackmore tonight in brum. Really looking forward to it as he was one of my first music heroes growing up. Purple were one of the first rock bands I got into with Rainbow following a lot later. Wish it was a Purple show I was seeing him at or even a proper Rainbow reunion, but nevermind. 

Was there too. Thought Ritchie was good, the singer was no Dio though...

Also, all seater show?! That just felt a bit weird....

34 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Was there too. Thought Ritchie was good, the singer was no Dio though...

Also, all seater show?! That just felt a bit weird....

First time seeing Ritchie and I thought he was good too. I actually thought the vocalist was brilliant, but he covered the purple songs better than the rainbow songs. At the end I heard a few people moaning that Ritchie was shit which I did not get at all, but these were older blokes who had watched him in his prime in the 70s and 80s. Heard one bloke say he's the greatest guitarist that ever picked up a guitar and he gives us that shit tonight. Yeah it was a very weird vibe regarding the all seater situation and hardly anyone around us stood up which was shit. When he did that acoustic number in memory of Jon lord, I looked at my missus and she was sobbing her eyes out. She absolutely loved him. Good show all round apart from the drum solo which was too long(5 minutes is enough for me)  got to see my favourite guitarist of all time, so I'm happy.

Seen the sweet, in a variety of flavours over the years, One lineup did the hits like wig wam bam, man from mecca, ballroom blitz etc and the other did the odd hit but were more akin to iron maiden.

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Seen the sweet, in a variety of flavours over the years, One lineup did the hits like wig wam bam, man from mecca, ballroom blitz etc and the other did the odd hit but were more akin to iron maiden.

They did the hits last night.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@rjw63 The Sweet are support act tonight. One of your bands I think?

Hardly worth it, I believe there's only one original member left. Shame, they were heavy as **** back in the day if you ignore the pop stuff. Brian Connolly was a great frontman

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Hardly worth it, I believe there's only one original member left. Shame, they were heavy as **** back in the day if you ignore the pop stuff. Brian Connolly was a great frontman

They were ridiculously heavy. 

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Yeah just the guitarist left.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

On 29/06/2017 at 07:29, Rugeley Villa said:

First time seeing Ritchie and I thought he was good too. I actually thought the vocalist was brilliant, but he covered the purple songs better than the rainbow songs. At the end I heard a few people moaning that Ritchie was shit which I did not get at all, but these were older blokes who had watched him in his prime in the 70s and 80s. Heard one bloke say he's the greatest guitarist that ever picked up a guitar and he gives us that shit tonight. Yeah it was a very weird vibe regarding the all seater situation and hardly anyone around us stood up which was shit. When he did that acoustic number in memory of Jon lord, I looked at my missus and she was sobbing her eyes out. She absolutely loved him. Good show all round apart from the drum solo which was too long(5 minutes is enough for me)  got to see my favourite guitarist of all time, so I'm happy.

Agree that he did the purple stuff better and all the tributes were good. But yeah weird vibe. :wacko:

Vegas trip in September has got a little better, tickets bought for Reverend Horton Heat whilst we are there. He played last time we were there too. I kind of like him, but he is one of my wife's favourites so she is over the moon.

At Rock Wertcher, saw Radiohead last night, didn't play Creep, I think people are still in the field now waiting for them to come back on and play it. 

Royal Blood were excellent even though I'm not their biggest fan

Mark Lanegan was awesome, his new stuff works so well live. He's getting better as he's getting older. 

Special mention to Prophets Of Rage, pretty much played a set of rage tracks which was good fun, but also played Audioslaves "Like a Stone" in honour of Chris Cornell, without a vocalist leaving it to the crowd to sing. Was very haunting but a nice moment. Actually got a little emotional, which is rare for me! 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Â