The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Bought back when I was rocking the Farmer Barleymow look.

:) You're in the wrong thread there, Bwana.

You're in Putney in the pic?

2 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

The Velvet Underground

They'd only be smacked up.

Tone's Friday is so Epic, we'll forget the Sunday ever happened.

I'd like to see Esquivel, Chick Webb and Reg Kehoe.

Are they allowed?

Edited by Xann
Stutter! :)
  • Like 1

yes, and yes

wrong thread!

right shop....I think it might have been you that pointed me to that shop, been there three times and parked directly outside each time! 

can't top that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

it's on now

I've seen Peter Hook live 3 times playing NO and JD material and yet never bothered to see NO live ... guess I should rectify this at some point 

Yeah, it's a tricky one really. New Order 'live' without Peter Hook is essentially laptops plus Sumner's vocals....hmmm. He'd be very much at home in the Ian Brown, Bobby Gillespie acapella supergroup.

I haven't seen them live either (other than last night over the net obvs. Yes, there's the light show and the artistic statement and all that, but I'm guessing New Order aren't a £10 ticket so I'm not sure I'd spend the money, I think there's better value in picking up a few of their CD's. Which might be what happens lunchtime today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I haven't seen them live either (other than last night over the net obvs. Yes, there's the light show and the artistic statement and all that, but I'm guessing New Order aren't a £10 ticket so I'm not sure I'd spend the money, I think there's better value in picking up a few of their CD's. Which might be what happens lunchtime today.

If thats the case, Low Life is a must, as good an album as you will find.

• Like 1

Saw New Order at a T in the Park (forget which one). They were brilliant, even with yer man from The Killers coming on stage, to sing Crystal. My mate was very disappointed they didn't do World in Motion, and even with me telling him, it was probably a good thing, as we were in deepest, darkest, Scotchland, it ruined the show for him.

50 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If thats the case, Low Life is a must, as good an album as you will find.

Aah, that’s a very good shout. 
Not least, because we’re thinking* of relaunching an old footy / music fanzine that was called LowLife. So that would be a nice tie in for a front cover picture and review at least.
Anything to dream up one more page of content!

*thinking, as in, it’ll never happen in time as we all slowly remember what a ball ache literally cutting and pasting and photocopying and stapling was.

• Like 1

Saw James at Kew Gardens last night 

not their best gig if I'm honest but I think mainly as it's a family type gig and people sitting around with picnics and blankets ... and the venue  turned the volume down a wee bit 

but Tim Booth did what Tim Booth does , he entertained went walkabout in the crowd and danced as only he can... and everyone went home happy

probably seen them live more than any band now .... fairly sure I'll be seeing them again in 2018 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

Saw James at Kew Gardens last night 

.... a family type gig and people sitting around with picnics and blankets

did you at any point use the line 'sit down next to me'?

Something rather different last Friday night: Skipton Choral Society (with soprano Sarah Fox) at Bolton Priory. Selection of operatic arias, followed by Fauré's Requiem. 

Could have been great. Unfortunately, they were accompanied by a local string section (double quartet). Who were dire. Massively out of tune, to Portsmouth Sinfonia levels (some of you will know what I mean). Sarah Fox's professionalism in singing in tune (not to mention keeping a straight face) was laudable. Most of the audience were visibly squirming. Way to ruin months of hard rehearsing by the choir (which included a friend of ours - I felt really sorry for her). 

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The only line I know from the only James song I know. 

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Funnily enough .... No

And they didn't play it either , sorta typical James really play some obscure b sides rather than one of your most famous records because it's our band and we can :) 

My mate went to see Dr and the Medics once. They's had a one off novelty hit with a cover of Spirit In The Sky.

Sure enough they did Spirit in the Sky. Six times in a row apparently. Not some break it down 30 minute version, just the standard version, over and over and over.

Â