The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I gave their (2002?) Wembley recording a whirl a while back, and was surprised how good they sounded.

2007 I think it was at the 02 arena London. Demand for that show alone was into the millions and it was done by ballot, so chances of getting tickets were virtually non existent. 

Here's a bit of randomness. Have been to plenty of gigs in my earlier years, not so much any more, last one was about two years ago and that was only as a stand in for someone who couldn't go. Can't even remember their name, some hipsterish crap. 

Anyway so. At a gig, imagine it's standing only, what type are you?

-the type to stand throughout sort of in the same spot, pretty much still

-the type who gives it a bit of an awkward minimal effort "dance"on the spot because partner / mates/ those surrounding are dancing

-the type who isn't down the front but really gives it some, but your moves are good

-the type who goes down the front to get in amongst it or crazy moshing

-or... one of these gimps who seems to do this "I'm cool dance" which involves upward jumps, finger in the air like Alan Shearer, but with a distinctive wrist flick like Ali G, but not hip hop style, this... totally hipster, and some with a sideways sort of head flick mid jump.

the latter there... there's usually some always dancing like that on tv shows or films that have a nightclub in. Must be a recent thing. Sure, people have jumped up and down for years half in that way, but not like that. Not sure if anyone will grasp what I mean, you'll know it when you see it. 

Last time I saw it in the flesh was like I said two years ago and we were amongst a handful who weren't, felt well out of place. Is that how the kids dance at concerts these days? Jump flick. Jump flick. W t f or maybe I just went to an asylum's annual party.

Me I am mostly the top one with a bit of the second one thrown in. And since I can't dance that will be a slight head banging motion. Jesus I am old!

Edited by Midfielder

If you can stand still, you've been going to the wrong gigs.

I'm fortunate, I'm 6'2" and I'm not skinny, so I pretty much stand wherever I like and get a decent view. I also tend to go to £10 and £15 gigs so standing at the back means being relatively close to the front! If anything I'm a bit overly conscious of blocking out other people's view.

Had a free ticket to one of these 'stadium' gigs once (NEC). What the merry **** is that all about? £60 and you're stood a kilometer away with a seat at ninety degrees to the stage - watching it on a big screen! 

Oh yeah, what dancing? Dad dancing. Seriously not giving a toss.

Edited by chrisp65
bit bot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Saw the lovely eggs thing yesterday. Gorilla it shall be.

I think that was their third go at that poster. First version had wrong dates, second version left a couple of towns off. This third version has been unchanged for 48 hours so I'm presuming it's legit.

It'll be London or Bristol for me. 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I think that was their third go at that poster. First version had wrong dates, second version left a couple of towns off. This third version has been unchanged for 48 hours so I'm presuming it's legit.

It'll be London or Bristol for me. 

Aye, they missed London off the first one, I think. They're definitely playing bigger venues and stuff now, which is nice. 

Gonna try and get tickets to see Chris Rock, at Leeds Arena in January (on sale Friday).

"Well Sir, I've never heard a preached use the M-F word so many times."

My mate got me a Chris Rock ticket. We didn't get them there, but they were £105 for a floor ticket! Does he not realise Leeds is in Yorkshire!?

Also got a ticket to see Stewart Lee at Durham Gala. Looking forward to seeing him do an actual show, as the last couple of times I've seen him, he'd just been trying out material for Comedy Vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Rogers at Symphony Hall last night - he's a fantastic performer but my only gripe is he wasn't on for long enough (less than 90 minutes).

Also met support act Deborajh Bonham in the interval, lovely lass :)

18738327_1318410008242724_22482707554360

A subtle blend of country n western and techno with a bit of a message.

Merthyr Rising: Throughout May 1831 the coal miners and others who worked for William Crawshay took to the streets of Merthyr Tydfil, calling for reform, protesting against the lowering of their wages and general unemployment. Gradually the protest spread to nearby industrial towns and villages and by the end of May the whole area was in rebellion, and it is believed that for the first time the red flag of revolution was flown as a symbol of workers' revolt

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

18738327_1318410008242724_22482707554360

A subtle blend of country n western and techno with a bit of a message.

Merthyr Rising: Throughout May 1831 the coal miners and others who worked for William Crawshay took to the streets of Merthyr Tydfil, calling for reform, protesting against the lowering of their wages and general unemployment. Gradually the protest spread to nearby industrial towns and villages and by the end of May the whole area was in rebellion, and it is believed that for the first time the red flag of revolution was flown as a symbol of workers' revolt

I hope there was a country / techno rendition of the Red Flag?

main-qimg-1e2b8cb47399d46f930d5d4cc9d4b3

@dAVe80 There was a speech from John McDonnell to open Friday, the Sandinistas were good, Stereo MC's, Eddie Tenpole...songs about Woodie Guthrie and refugees and a few heart felt rants about unions and tories.

It was in the square with the Penderyn* on one side and the RMT offices on the other. Anyway, by the time they got to 3 minutes in to this song (below) people were three days in to their festival and a bit worse for wear and ready to burn shit down!

*Dic Penderyn was hung in 1831 for trying to organise mine labour for better conditions.

Anyway, yeah, ancient footage but zip through to 3 minutes in for a taster ... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

I hope there was a country / techno rendition of the Red Flag?

main-qimg-1e2b8cb47399d46f930d5d4cc9d4b3

Bloody Merthyr stealing someone else's claim to fame. The Red Flag was first flown over the mountain in Hirwaun. A white sheet dipped in sheep blood. I'll wager they were from the Gurnos, steal anything them 

• Like 1

Anyways went to an all dayer in Manchester Saturday,

Jim Bob from Carter USM was actually much better on his own with an acoustic that Carter USM ever were

The Wedding Present, however, were absolutely blinding, The finish of Brassneck followed by Kennedy was close to perfection

The rest were shite but I fully expected them to be

• Like 3

Went to Bearded Theory festival. Some highlights, Skunk Anansie, The Fall, Glasvegas, Alabama 3. Al lvery good.

Madness was ok nothing more, Seasick Steve was out of his depth as a headliner. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, choffer said:

Not been to a gig in months but just booked for Hacienda Classical at Kew Gardens. I am so middle class! :blush:

Sounds a brilliant place for a gig. I went to one at Hampton Court in the main courtyard. Another amazing  place for a gig .

Edited by Villaninireland
  • Like 1

Â