The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Went to see Whores (oo-er) and Big Business on Tuesday night in Brum.

Terrific gig at Mama Roux's (decent venue) with the stand out being Coady Willis (he's played with Melvins in the past) who has to be one of the most incredible drummers i've ever seen, and i've seen thousands.  I don't think he's actually human :)

They produce such a terrific sound for a two-piece (drummer and bass player/singer) and i'd definitely be up for seeing them again.

Tonight, it's Alunah at the Flapper in Brum which should be a good night.

• 2 weeks later...

just booked tickets to see Jason Isbell at the Symphony Hall on 31st October

Isbell is probably my favourite artist right now, the Drive By Truckers were at their absolute peak when he was with them so I can't **** wait for this.

And on a side note I have just found out that a bird I used to knock about with has split from her fella, I've not spoken to her for absolutely ages but I thought now would be as good a time as any to make contact and see if she fancies coming to a gig.

Rat and Drainpipe come to mind

• Like 1

On 4/20/2017 at 13:17, leemond2008 said:

And on a side note I have just found out that a bird I used to knock about with has split from her fella, I've not spoken to her for absolutely ages but I thought now would be as good a time as any to make contact and see if she fancies coming to a gig.

Rat and Drainpipe come to mind

EucIfYY.gif?noredirect

Not a gig but a bit of musical theatre, me and the other half went to see Wicked in the West End.

Although not my cuppa tea it was pretty entertaining and the singers are immensely talented.

2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Not a gig but a bit of musical theatre, me and the other half went to see Wicked in the West End.

Although not my cuppa tea it was pretty entertaining and the singers are immensely talented.

giphy.gif

;)

• Like 4

I accidently went to a pub gig the other night. Went to meet my mate, and as I approached the pub, I could hear there was a band on. Got to admit, I was tempted to ringing him and meet somewhere else (as I was just in the mood for finishing off the evening with a couple of quiet beers), but ended up going in. They ended up being superb. 5 piece band from Scotland (although the singer was American). They're called The Blueswater, and sounded like a mix between early The Who, Captain Beefheat & The Magic Band, The Sonics, and The Doors. They're on a UK tour at the moment, so if they're playing near you, check them out, if you like that kind of thing.  

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I accidently went to a pub gig the other night. Went to meet my mate, and as I approached the pub, I could hear there was a band on. Got to admit, I was tempted to ringing him and meet somewhere else (as I was just in the mood for finishing off the evening with a couple of quiet beers), but ended up going in. They ended up being superb. 5 piece band from Scotland (although the singer was American). They're called The Blueswater, and sounded like a mix between early The Who, Captain Beefheat & The Magic Band, The Sonics, and The Doors. They're on a UK tour at the moment, so if they're playing near you, check them out, if you like that kind of thing.  

According to their website, the only upcoming gig is tomorrow night in Llangollen. The tour's finished. :(

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

According to their website, the only upcoming gig is tomorrow night in Llangollen. The tour's finished. :(

Ah right. The landlady at my local said they'd be coming back in September, and the singer said they're always out on the road, so worth keeping an eye out for them. I gave them a follow on Facebook, so I'd think they'd probably announce further gigs there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Xann said:

Saw Part Chimp at the 100 Club last night.

If you do heavy? Go see them.

Sludge Doom fiends were leaving scared.

They played Cardiff in the week and people that know their shit said they were very good.

• Like 1

The Book of Souls is a return to form, IMO, up there with their best work.

It was a hell of a gig. The amount of energy a bunch of 60-ish year old blokes can bring to the stage is incredible. Bruce is still running around like he's in his twenties.

The supporting act, Shinedown, were a bit lame, probably not helped by hardly anyone knowing any of their songs. They tried! I actually like them, but it was like I was the only fan signing while stood in the Witton Lane stand. :P 

There's nothing quite like really, really needing a piss before the main act even come on, and having to see it out because you'll lose a great spot. I have a new appreciation for seats.

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Waiting for Iron Maiden to start. Right up at the front :D

I saw them in Massachusetts in 1986, the peak of my metal mania, and they were my top group. They didn't play my two favorite songs (deeper tracks, so I wasn't surprised)....but for their encore the two songs they played were those very tunes- "Phantom of the Opera" and "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner", it just about catapulted me into metal heaven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I saw them in Massachusetts in 1986, the peak of my metal mania, and they were my top group. They didn't play my two favorite songs (deeper tracks, so I wasn't surprised)....but for their encore the two songs they played were those very tunes- "Phantom of the Opera" and "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner", it just about catapulted me into metal heaven.

Rumours are circulating that led Zeppelin, or shall I say the remaining members will be playing the festival in the desert next year. I think it's in California?  Let's hope it's true and they then do a couple of shows in the uk. It's their 50th anniversary next year. This is the one I've been waiting for.

• Like 1

Â