The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

12 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

A relatively unknown singer outside of Maryland, Mary Prankster. I loved her a lot in the early 2000's, I talked myself out of her final gig in 2005 and I regretted it massively. I think I need to do this.

Yes, you do ;) 

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I think I need to do this.

Arguably the greatest living concert pianist of our time, Grigory Sokolov, is touring Europe though the end of 2017 and into 2018.

He's not playing here as he objects to the biometric tests on the UK visa application.

I'd love to see him, so am also pondering flights and hotels for a single gig.

17 minutes ago, Xann said:

Arguably the greatest living concert pianist of our time, Grigory Sokolov, is touring Europe though the end of 2017 and into 2018.

He's not playing here as he objects to the biometric tests on the UK visa application.

I'd love to see him, so am also pondering flights and hotels for a single gig.

you could go and see him in St Petersburg ..all you need to do is  submit biometric data to get your visa  :)

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

you could go and see him in St Petersburg ..all you need to do is  submit biometric data to get your visa  :)

Ha :). I have a friend the jets all over to see classical stuff.

He recommended Ljubljana as it goes. You been there? It's served by Stansted - Which is a bit bollocks.

Brussels by train is another possibility?

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

Ha :). I have a friend the jets all over to see classical stuff.

He recommended Ljubljana as it goes. You been there? It's served by Stansted - Which is a bit bollocks.

Brussels by train is another possibility?

Ljubljana is pleasant enough but not a lot to see there  , Brussels has a great concentration of bars in the town centre for afterwards and Eurostar makes it dead easy

but I think from that list of where he is playing and for the music he's playing  I'd pick Vienna  , always something magical about listening to classical music in Vienna

• Like 1

Hmmmm - Austria eh?

Going to have to think about this. Many of the gigs are midweek, it's likely we wouldn't hang about to enjoy the host cities that much.

Tagging a day or two on to a weekend for a short break might be a better plan?

Hamburg, Freiburg and Valletta also appeal, as does getting wasted in Holland :D

4 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

*Dons crash helmet*

Got tickets to see Belle & Sebastian at the Sage, while wearing a Black Sabbath t-shirt.

I used to really like B&S, saw them in Birmingham when the fantastic Brakes supported them, must have been around the time of Step Into My Office Baby, it was really good if I recall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I used to really like B&S, saw them in Birmingham when the fantastic Brakes supported them, must have been around the time of Step Into My Office Baby, it was really good if I recall.

I like both bands, so would have liked to have seen that show. I've seen B&S before, so know they're usually good value. I know some of the VT regulars are not fans, because they're too "twee". I like a bit of Indie Pop, so doesn't bother me at all.

18 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

I like both bands, so would have liked to have seen that show. I've seen B&S before, so know they're usually good value. I know some of the VT regulars are not fans, because they're too "twee". I like a bit of Indie Pop, so doesn't bother me at all.

In my youth I was mad for indie pop, pretty much until 10-12 years ago so saw quite a lot of bands like Belle and Sebastian, I would say although they are a little twee, however those first three albums in particular were phenomenal. Brakes supported around the time of their debut and I think its one of the support acts I have seen, at that point I hadn’t heard anything by them before so was blown away. 2006 the internet has told me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

In my youth I was mad for indie pop, pretty much until 10-12 years ago so saw quite a lot of bands like Belle and Sebastian, I would say although they are a little twee, however those first three albums in particular were phenomenal. Brakes supported around the time of their debut and I think its one of the support acts I have seen, at that point I hadn’t heard anything by them before so was blown away. 2006 the internet has told me.

Blandy and Risso's favourite.

• Like 3

Saw Nick Cave w/ Seeds at O2 in London last night. Didn't really know how it would work on a arena tour but Christ, it was incredible. One of the best gigs I've been to, maybe the best. 

Emotional, funny, tragic, loving, it had it all.

The way they change from beautiful pieces full of sorrow to something completely outrageous and heavy in the blink of an eye mid track is just amazing.

Stagger Lee was something else.

10/10

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

On 29/09/2017 at 12:58, blandy said:

Why I oughta!

That @Risso, with his stripey french shirts, long cardigans and comfortable leisure shoes might like 'em, but me, "not so much".

I *may* have the odd single by them...

Now I’m back in civilisation I can start seeing bands again.  Have tickets for the Frank and Walters and erm, Belle and Sebastian.

And bizarrely, I am actually wearing a stripey jumper today.  That @blandy is a witch I tells yer.

• Haha 1

On 29/09/2017 at 12:58, blandy said:

Why I oughta!

That @Risso, with his stripey french shirts, long cardigans and comfortable leisure shoes might like 'em, but me, "not so much".

I could have sworn you were a fan ?? ... remember you mentioning them in a thread to the point I had to look them up and see who they were 

actually thinking about  it might have been you saying they were the best Scottish band rather than actually endorsing them as such ...

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I could have sworn you were a fan ?? ... remember you mentioning them in a thread to the point I had to look them up and see who they were 

actually thinking about  it might have been you saying they were the best Scottish band rather than actually endorsing them as such ...

Right! that does it. Where's my Assault Riffle?  :ph34r:

Â