25 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Yes
    • No - we need to work as a team
    • No - I distrust employees from being out of sight
    • No - a working environment creates better results

This poll is closed to new votes

14 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Energy prices will be back down to their old price levels by next winter. 

No way. I don't think we'll ever that price for natural gas again.  Especially not in the UK where the £ is weak compared to the dollar. 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

No way. I don't think we'll ever that price for natural gas again.  Especially not in the UK where the £ is weak compared to the dollar. 

It pretty much already is. S24 is priced at about 65 live at the mo. The old historic norm was 51 with a high of 70 and low of 28.

What you're being priced off at home right now is the six month average from Dec backwards, which is about 122.

Come October, the bills should halve if prices remain where they are. 

It says alot about people who feel they work better and prefer working from home. Personally I would much rather go out a few times a week, than sit in my house everyday on my own working, how sad is that. Its like sitting in the corner of the pub on your own sipping your pint.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It says alot about people who feel they work better and prefer working from home. Personally I would much rather go out a few times a week, than sit in my house everyday on my own working, how sad is that. Its like sitting in the corner of the pub on your own sipping your pint.

Being as you seem to spend three quarters of your day stuck in traffic I think I'd rather be at home

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

You haven't considered the type of work or personal circumstance.  I have people in my team who absolutely cannot work from home and we had to put in special measures for them even during Covid.  Others, similar to me I guess, are more productive and generally feel as though they get a lot more done at home.  I'm not a hermit working from home, I'm on video calls and chatting away to people all day (as is my team).  When I do go in (2 days a week for now), I just don't get an awful lot done and my hours are constrained due to commuting time etc.  So yes, I feel as though I work better and prefer to work from home.  I'm a friendly person and quite sociable with others - what does it say about me?

Also, (sorry, edit) don't knock the people who sit in the corner of a pub sipping a pint by themselves.  They have their reasons and again, you haven't considered personal circumstance (personally I quite enjoy a quiet pint to myself on occasion just relaxing and watching the world go by). 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Personally I would much rather go out a few times a week, than sit in my house everyday on my own working,

I go out several times a week and enjoy the company of my friends and family without needing to get some social time from people who only get together because they're paid to :D 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Its 2024 mate. You can talk to people while working from home. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Its 2023 mate. You can talk to people while working from home. 

It certainly was 2023 a week ago when I was working out how many years I’ve been married.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 18/01/2024 at 10:19, Stevo985 said:

This is a really bizarre take.

The reason this is the only thing that remains is because it's actually beneficial. We were, as a society, behind the times anyway and it took a pandemic to force us into change.

Taking tests to fly, prebooking bars, one ways in supermarkets... none of that is comparable. Because none of that has a benefit outside of not spreading covid.

WFH does. It's cheaper, it's more productive, it's better for morale, better for work life balance, cheaper for businesses etc etc

The only people who don't like it are old school dinosaurs who think you have to be looking over somebody's shoulder for them to work

Equally bizarre take.

I'm not at all an old school dinosaur who wants to be looking over somebody's shoulder for them to work, but I'd far rather be in an office environment.  It's better for morale and better for a clear line between work and home for me.  As you said in a previous post (somewhat amusingly, given you've said this), that's me.  The working model should be based on what works best for a person.

FWIW, I'd wager that the majority of people are not more productive at home - they want to work from home because it allows doing things at home which you can't do in an office (could be chores around the home, having a nice walk, browsing VillaTalk (👀), whatever).  Some may be more productive - and I think there's an argument that a business gets more hours out of someone at home than in the office - but, certainly what I know of anecdotally, people are not categorially more productive at home.  If anything, it's the opposite but they might be happier, which is very important.

• Like 1

I've always found it to be far more productive to work from home. I absolutely hated being stuck in an office with people I didn't want to be with. Working from home was a breath of fresh air and allowed me to really focus on the aspects of my job that I needed to focus on. 

I'm at a point now where I'd basically avoid a job that requires working in an office unless I was absolutely desperate. 

30 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Equally bizarre take.

I'm not at all an old school dinosaur who wants to be looking over somebody's shoulder for them to work, but I'd far rather be in an office environment.  It's better for morale and better for a clear line between work and home for me.  As you said in a previous post (somewhat amusingly, given you've said this), that's me.  The working model should be based on what works best for a person.

FWIW, I'd wager that the majority of people are not more productive at home - they want to work from home because it allows doing things at home which you can't do in an office (could be chores around the home, having a nice walk, browsing VillaTalk (👀), whatever).  Some may be more productive - and I think there's an argument that a business gets more hours out of someone at home than in the office - but, certainly what I know of anecdotally, people are not categorially more productive at home.  If anything, it's the opposite but they might be happier, which is very important.

13 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I've always found it to be far more productive to work from home. I absolutely hated being stuck in an office with people I didn't want to be with. Working from home was a breath of fresh air and allowed me to really focus on the aspects of my job that I needed to focus on. 

I'm at a point now where I'd basically avoid a job that requires working in an office unless I was absolutely desperate. 

i think at the end of the day there will be some that can hand on heart say they're more productive at home and there will be some that take the piss and do the bear minimum whilst getting their household chores done, running errands etc. that's why the hybrid model works. everybody wins. employers get their teams in the office at least a few days a week, everybody gets a couple of days at home.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i think at the end of the day there will be some that can hand on heart say they're more productive at home and there will be some that take the piss and do the bear minimum whilst getting their household chores done, running errands etc. that's why the hybrid model works. everybody wins. employers get their teams in the office at least a few days a week, everybody gets a couple of days at home.

It should be on what works best for the individual whilst achieving whatever they need to do - and largely this is probably what’s in place.

I do think there’s a lot of “in office” things that simply can’t be replaced, which I’ve mentioned previously in this thread. It’s mostly social, but makes a huge difference to me personally, and I reckon also with newer people joining a company. I just don’t see how small talk really happens anymore and, love it or loathe it, it’s a big part of what makes working for a certain company good (or bad!). 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It should be on what works best for the individual whilst achieving whatever they need to do - and largely this is probably what’s in place.

I do think there’s a lot of “in office” things that simply can’t be replaced, which I’ve mentioned previously in this thread. It’s mostly social, but makes a huge difference to me personally, and I reckon also with newer people joining a company. I just don’t see how small talk really happens anymore and, love it or loathe it, it’s a big part of what makes working for a certain company good (or bad!). 

think it depends on your personality. i've read a lot on this thread things like "i have to talk to people i don't like" or "people keep coming to my desk to chat" when they're in the office. i personally like that, whether it's chatting work or football. when the colleagues i work with that are into football are in the office it's great to chat transfer rumours or show each other funny shit we've seen on twitter or updating each other on our FM24 saves. not to mention a good old gossip about colleagues that you don't want to do on a Teams chat for obvious reasons.

i totally get that introverts don't want any of that and would rather just work at home in peace.

you make a great point about new hires. i hired someone during lockdown and it was a right pain training them up. made such a difference when the restrictions were lifted and i could sit with him in person and show him things properly.

• Like 2

Â