The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched Antichrist last night. Utter nonsense. There was a decent story in there dying to get out but it was overshadowed by gratuitous gore with no point or reason and some meaningless trippy vision sequences that were also pointless nonsense. 

2/10.

yeah, that about sums it up, really tried to get into it, wasn't happening. I gave up 5 / 10 mins after the big log into the nuts. 

~List of how much I like Lars von Trier films~ by hogso

-Like-

Melancholia

Dogville

Europa

-Don't like-

Manderlay

The Idiots

Dancer in the Dark

-Unsure-

Antichrist

Breaking the Waves

-Not seen-

Boss of it all

Epidemic

Element of Crime

The Kingdom (regrettably - think would like)

In short, I'll watch most of his products

Edited by hogso

the hurricane -

don't know why its taken me so long to watch it, good film, denzel unsurprisingly superb, thought the made up bits

he didn't get arrested as a youth by that cop and that cop was dead by the time he got released

exaggerated the role of the racist cop which was a shame but then I suppose other than that you create a film which has the audience saying him being arrested and sent down doesn't make any sense, which ironically is the whole point...

not sure how you'd do it 100% accurate showing how daft the whole thing was

Went to see Thor: the Dark World last night.

Going in, I thought it was likely to be one of the more interesting entries to Marvel's stable as we hadn't seen a lot of it, Marvel seemed to largely forget it existed at SDCC (despite showing a clip and wheeling out Tom Hiddleston in full Loki gear) this year instead focusing efforts on next years releases Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, and they hadn't had the PR and talk surrounding it anywhere near to the level they had done before. So, going in, we'd had a couple of trailers, a SDCC clip that never leaked, and a few nods to thoughts of what was going on behind the scenes (composer walked out, Portman was said to want to take part about as much as she might want to shovel shit barehanded, there were even rumours director Alan Taylor of Game of Thrones fame might walk late in the day, reshoots for extra Loki scenes...) and little else beyond some hastily cobbled together thoughts based on the cast and characters... Thats a bit odd with these films - usually we see a lot and know a lot and the studio plays a game of hinting things to get the hype up so in the end you sit down more or less knowing exactly what will happen - case in point, The Dark Knight Rises.

Thor: the Dark World kicks off in the immediate aftermath of the Avengers - Loki's attack on Earth has been foiled and he has been taken back to Asgard to face justice, consigned to the dungeons for the rest of his days. Meanwhile, the effects of the Bifrost, the intergalactic transport system of Asgard, being destroyed has seen Thor and the rest of Asgard's forces policing the rest of the Nine Realms as thins went to pot in their absence, and Thor still pines for the love he left on Earth in the shape of Portman's Jane Foster. Jane has decamped to London, continues her work with handwavey astrophysics-fartoocomplexforyoumrviewershutupandforgetaboutitshesascientistology, where she stumbles on a force of universe threatening power and awakens an adversary of Asgard, the Dark Elves, thought long extinguished.

All very straightforward comic book McGuffin filled stuff. The script is going to win no awards - it carries few surprises, it delivers what you expect. But there is much to enjoy here, if you know the characters. You will get far more from this film if you've been along for the ride with Marvel since Iron Man in 2008, but particularly if you watched Thor and Avengers - the film largely assumes you know these characters and you know the journey they've been on so far. The films crowning glory is Loki, Tm Hiddleston is having a brilliant time playing up as the beaten but still comically slimy adoptive brother of Thor, and has some of the films best scenes despite being the definition of a supporting character, in the main providing some sarcastic comedy but also some of the more touching scenes in the film, particularly an all too brief moment in which the imprisoned trickster lets his glamour projection of himself down and reveals his actual state. Hiddleston steals every scene he's in.

There is an enjoyably odd Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings feel to it all - the Asgardians use medieval weaponry but swords have an almost lightsaber feel to them at times, glowing as they cleave the air for instance, and this universe also has spacecraft and laser guns. It seem incongruous but works somehow. And of course it's pretty with successful art design (the Dark Elves craft are gloriously weird - check the bizarre biomechanical peristalsis lift mechanism, and how the ships appear to have been forged from stone at times), well shot despite the television background of the director. Not going to blow your socks off but rather nice all the same. The 3d is... inoffensive. As per usual it breaks at times and is at it's best when very slow moving objects are shown against depth - things moving quickly or pointing out of the screen simply do not work, at best taking you out of the film or worse, making the image a bit messy. The best instance of 3d is a brief scene with a single close up shot of Jane and Thor talking on a balcony, which says it all. 

It's also a curiously funny film, often playing almost like a comedy. The first had it's comedic moments, playing up to Thor's fish out of water nature when banished to New Mexico, but this plays for jokes whenever it can - be it Thor making an army surrender with a single hammer blow, or Loki making wisecracks as Thor struggles to put a plan into action. It works, but I can see some people finding it frustrating that the film seems, a few choice scenes aside, unable to take itself seriously.

Perfomances are all decent, about the only bum note being a pretty flat performance from Anthony Hopkins as Odin. He has more to do than the first film, but in that film he had a calm sterness than was strangely affecting, especially when revealing an appropriately almighty rage beneath it all. In this he is wooden, despite a few chances to again display that disarming sudden anger he cuts a rather bored figure. Hiddleston steals the show, theres a delight in his portrayal of Loki that is a captivating watch, he's a genuine character amongst some more 1 note presences the movie. Hemsworth gives his best Thor performance and is starting to take on the same kind of level Downey Jr has with Tony Stark - he is Thor now, I think, and again you can feel that he enjoys the role, particularly in the little moments. Portman is pretty, so can handle her role, Dennings does comic relief well, Skarsgard gets to raise some laughs, the rest of Thors posse all get a brief badass moment but feel somewhat superfluous, particularly notable for Idris Elba's Heimdall who still feels like an interesting character they don't know how to use as anything other than a prop for the plot. Christopher Eccleston, as big bad Malekith, does well with a pretty slim role - he has very few lines, even less in English, and isn't actually on screen much, as such his character is thin beyond belief but he does have some presence as a villain and carries what little he has well. 

The lack of depth for Malekith underlines a feeling throughout that this is a film that got cut to within an inch of it's life, it flies along and details of plot (that that there is) are hurled at you and never linger. We get a brief set up for the Dark Elves/the MacGuffin, for example, but it feels like there was originally going to be more development for Malekith in an earlier draft. The same is true for much of the film, it does feel like scenes were trimmed and trimmed to the bare bones. I rather suspect this was originally a far 'bigger' film and had the script culled at a rewrite, the film then edited down from that script to cut all the fat off it. As such, I suspect a few people might ave their head scratching at a few of the less important elements of the plot. Saying that, at it's heart it's a simple picture and a lot of the stuff you might go 'sorry, what?' at really are not important in the grand scheme of things.

It is a little disappointing that we don't quite get the grand affair we might have wished for, and that Eccleston's villain isn't as fleshed out as we might like, but the film marks a brilliantly enjoyable entry in Marvel's ever growing stable, with something for everyone. It's truly funny, there's some good action (a few scenes with Malekiths right hand man are certainly fun... and also will have a few comic fans punching the air when it dawns on them what's coming), it's pretty and well made if light and simple. I think it stands as one of Marvels better films to date, easily top 5, and I can see a lot of people enjoying it. Go see it if you've enjoyed the Marvel Cinematic Universe to date.

By the way, there are 2 credit scene 'stingers' - one follows the film's end title sequence and is likely to leave a few people scratching their heads (a nod for things to come ;)), the second follows the end of the credits proper and acts as more of proper end to the film (with one last gag). I'm not entirely sure why they cut that scene away from the film proper, but it is what it is. Certainly more worth hanging around for than Iron Man 3s efforts, though if you can't be arsed you could skip the second, it's not essential viewing.

• Like 4

back from Thor, enjoyed it, still think marvel is keeping things ticking over with good enjoyable popcorn films rather than superb ones but I don't mind that, certainly better than most of the big budget dross that comes out most summers, good baddie, good action scenes, great cameo... much like the 1st one I still watched it wishing I knew more about who everyone is

By the way, there are 2 credit scene 'stingers' - one follows the film's end title sequence and is likely to leave a few people scratching their heads (a nod for things to come ;))

go on then cos it certainly had me scratching my head, assume its something to do with guardians of the galaxy, im really hoping that's a superb one (although saw the CA trailer on the big screen, that's got every danger of being brilliant which really surprises me seeing as no1 was as bad as they've been IMO)

Hiddleston steals the show, theres a delight in his portrayal of Loki that is a captivating watch, he's a genuine character amongst some more 1 note presences the movie.

You can clearly see he enjoys playing the character from interviews he gives and his personality fits Loki perfectly. It always helps when someone likes what they're doing and has fun with it.

The shapeshifting when Thor first releases him from his cell is a particularly great moment!

:D

I also really enjoy his unpredictable in the movie. You never really know where you stand with Loki. You think he's going to turn on Thor, then you get little hints that he may be turning good. Then he turns on Thor, then it's a trick. Next he gives his life to save him, then there's the ending. It makes for a great character when you don't exactly know what's going on.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Hiddleston steals the show, theres a delight in his portrayal of Loki that is a captivating watch, he's a genuine character amongst some more 1 note presences the movie.

You can clearly see he enjoys playing the character from interviews he gives and his personality fits Loki perfectly. It always helps when someone likes what they're doing and has fun with it.

The shapeshifting when Thor first releases him from his cell is a particularly great moment!

:D

I also really enjoy his unpredictable in the movie. You never really know where you stand with Loki. You think he's going to turn on Thor, then you get little hints that he may be turning good. Then he turns on Thor, then it's a trick. Next he gives his life to save him, then there's the ending. It makes for a great character when you don't exactly know what's going on.

agree

the scene where he betrays him and cuts his hand off, it threw me, although his death didn't

Edited by villa4europe

back from Thor, enjoyed it, still think marvel is keeping things ticking over with good enjoyable popcorn films rather than superb ones but I don't mind that, certainly better than most of the big budget dross that comes out most summers, good baddie, good action scenes, great cameo... much like the 1st one I still watched it wishing I knew more about who everyone is

By the way, there are 2 credit scene 'stingers' - one follows the film's end title sequence and is likely to leave a few people scratching their heads (a nod for things to come ;))

go on then cos it certainly had me scratching my head, assume its something to do with guardians of the galaxy, im really hoping that's a superb one (although saw the CA trailer on the big screen, that's got every danger of being brilliant which really surprises me seeing as no1 was as bad as they've been IMO)

It is to do with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Benicio del Toro appears in that film as the Collector, an ancient being obsessed with, well, collecting interesting, sometimes powerful, artifacts. The end credit sequence, where Sif and Volstagg bring him the Aether and talk about it being dangerous to keep 2 Infinity Stones close together (the other being the Tesseract), is a reference to a very big plotline in the comics where Thanos, the grinning villain teased at the end of the Avengers, tracks down and takes all 6 of the Infinity Gems and becomes an immensely powerful threat to the universe.

Guardians is very likely to be another interesting entry in the MCU - it has an awful lot of the elements needed to do set up a massive story arc, but it seems like, given that we know what Avengers 2 involves, that it's a little too soon for that...

Watched Vanilla Sky again last night... love it, one of my favourites.

The only reason I can sit through it is because Penelope Cruz is in it, she was so fine back in those days (not so bad now either to be fair).

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Watched Vanilla Sky again last night... love it, one of my favourites.

The only reason I can sit through it is because Penelope Cruz is in it, she was so fine back in those days (not so bad now either to be fair).

Agreed, she's pretty much perfection in the film. She makes Cameron Diaz look positively unattractive (although that is down to the persona of the Diaz character, which Diaz nails perfectly)

Â