The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

18th December 2015

star wars: attack of the lens flare

interesting that avengers 2 gets the Disney summer slot...

Nah Avengers is spring, Ant-Man is getting the summer spot.

Is Winter seen as a bigger movie spot than summer. I know Ant-Man was originally scheduled for November, but then they decided to move it forward to summer for Star Wars.

EDIT: It seems Star Wars was initially meant to be summer but they had writing changes which meant it had to be delayed.

Edited by kurtsimonw

the summer slot is a may release...

release at the end of may (like someone else said aim for the bank holiday) in 3D, IMAX, and on hourly slots and then the summer holidays drag the demand through to the end of august by which time it drops down to 1/2 showings a day, most of the "summer blockbusters" do that now

looking at it, 7/10 top grossing films this year came out in a 8 week period between the end of april and the start of june

Edited by villa4europe

How have I never heard of 'Near Dark'?  A cult vampire film directed by James Cameron's wife featuring most the cast of Aliens.

Promptly purchased.

Watched that again just the other night. It's a really good low budget movie, with a nice tight storyline and a great OTT performance from Bill Paxton.

The bar scene is fantastic. :D

Watched a lot of good films over the last few nights/weeks.

The Way Way Back - loved it probably go 8 maybe even 8.5 but that maybe just a slight stretched.

The Kings of Summer - Was like Into The Wild if done by moody teens but was good 7.5 as well.

Jeff Who Lives At Home - 6 the worst one I've watched was poor the whole way through but ended well hence the 6 and not a 5.

Drinking Buddies - Good little film 7 strange the way it's lined out but you'll either love it or hate it.

Celeste & Jessie Forever - Another 7 for me plus has a lot of Rashida Jones which can't be a negative.

Lars & The Real Girl - Good little flick but very strange.

Safety Not Guaranteed - 7 as well nice little flick easy watching, Aubrey Plaza is surely type cast after this.

the summer slot is a may release...

release at the end of may (like someone else said aim for the bank holiday) in 3D, IMAX, and on hourly slots and then the summer holidays drag the demand through to the end of august by which time it drops down to 1/2 showings a day, most of the "summer blockbusters" do that now

looking at it, 7/10 top grossing films this year came out in a 8 week period between the end of april and the start of june

Interesting. Weird that they would call summer release May instead of June/July. :lol:

But what you said about it dragging over summer does make sense.

yeah its a huge date, im sure original Spiderman was released that weekend and made a ton of money. I cant find online but im sure if you check back that weekend the blockbusters are usually released

The Way Way Back - loved it probably go 8 maybe even 8.5 but that maybe just a slight stretched.

The Kings of Summer - Was like Into The Wild if done by moody teens but was good 7.5 as well.

Jeff Who Lives At Home - 6 the worst one I've watched was poor the whole way through but ended well hence the 6 and not a 5.

Drinking Buddies - Good little film 7 strange the way it's lined out but you'll either love it or hate it.

Celeste & Jessie Forever - Another 7 for me plus has a lot of Rashida Jones which can't be a negative.

Safety Not Guaranteed - 7 as well nice little flick easy watching, Aubrey Plaza is surely type cast after this.

I consider myself a movie buff but I have never heard of any of the above movies.

I consider myself a movie buff but I have never heard of any of the above movies.

They aren't really obscure to be fair.

If you haven't seen Lars and the Real Girl or Safety Not Guaranteed I would definitely recommend those.

• Like 1

I don't consider myself a film buff and I've seen 4 of those films and the other 3 are on my radar to watch.

A cult vampire film directed by James Cameron's wife featuring most the cast of Aliens.

Do you mean Kathryn Bigelow, the Oscar winning director of Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty and Point Break?

Near Dark is a great film.

I did, but I referenced Aliens so I linked it to James.

That said, I still haven't seen Hurt Locker.  It's on the 'to watch' pile though.

"Lars & The Real Girl" is ace! Love that film.

Watched "Safety not Guaranteed" randomly and quite enjoyed it.

Not heard of Kings of Summer and The Way Way Back before... will watch them this weekend,  :thumb: 

Watched a couple of films this week:-

1.  Man of Steel :  Awesome Awesome film,  I was so surprised at how good it was.  I am not really one for the super human films but I totally enjoyed this film from start to finish.  10/10

2. Gravity: Went to the Cinema to see this.  Impressive,  Sandra Bullock (My mrs is the same age and looks very much the same face wise,  I kid you not) is amazing in it and for a film that really only has 2 people in it I thought it superb.  9/10  (The 3D in this was brilliant as the obvious things such as water in a weightless environment are exactly suited to 3D.  A few kids in the cinema (small) were trying to grab some of the water drops it was that good).

I've seen a couple of them, would describe the ones ive seen as feel good films, often labelled as comedies but they aren't really that funny, little miss sunshine would be another example, my gf absolutely hates them

Â