The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I only watched the trailer of WWZ which looked visually stunning but was full of borrowings from other films.

The whole 'guy must single-handedly save nuclear family from hostile and lethal force' looked a bit like Tom Cruise in War of The Worlds. The same whining female child who has to be carried as WOFTW, looked a bit too familiar.

Ideologically, from the compact car they were driving, and the Brad Pit character looking a bit scuzzy, instantly made them white blue collar. This is very popular in disaster movies and I was surprised that they weren't Irish (Die Hard and Terminator), which is seen as a solid blue collar credential in America (non-wasp).

Given the director's determination to establish an unmistakable blue collar identity for those we are supposed to care about, and the fact that the hostile and lethal threat are infected humans (greed), it seemed likely that the film was a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers but in reverse. IOTBS (1978) was supposed to be about the threat of communism (characters were middle-class under threat) and WWZ seems to be about greed and self-interested Republicanism (tea-baggers), wanting to attack and destroy the American working-classes, in an era of financial meltdown and economic crisis.

An important issue which could decide matters is whether the zombies on the plane are travelling in first-class or second. 

What the trailer does not show is whether the Pitt character has any special rapport with any black characters (another American trope).

Can anyone put me right on that? 

The film has already taken $540m and so it obviously resonated with young blue collar audiences.

I haven't seen the film or read any reviews, so how inaccurate are my guesses?

Edited by MakemineVanilla

The trailer was WAY the best bit of the movie - that's how I got suckered into watching it.

Your suggestions may be correct, but it's pretty hard to tell, as character motivation is not really apparent. But yes, he DOES hug a black colleague quite early on!

(I must issue a slight disclaimer here - I missed some parts of the film as I fell asleep. The missus tells me I missed nothing).

The trailer was WAY the best bit of the movie - that's how I got suckered into watching it.

Your suggestions may be correct, but it's pretty hard to tell, as character motivation is not really apparent. But yes, he DOES hug a black colleague quite early on!

(I must issue a slight disclaimer here - I missed some parts of the film as I fell asleep. The missus tells me I missed nothing).

Brilliant!

Thanks Mr Mooney.

I only watched the trailer of WWZ which looked visually stunning but was full of borrowings from other films.

The whole 'guy must single-handedly save nuclear family from hostile and lethal force' looked a bit like Tom Cruise in War of The Worlds. The same whining female child who has to be carried as WOFTW, looked a bit too familiar.

Ideologically, from the compact car they were driving, and the Brad Pit character looking a bit scuzzy, instantly made them white blue collar. This is very popular in disaster movies and I was surprised that they weren't Irish (Die Hard and Terminator), which is seen as a solid blue collar credential in America (non-wasp).

Given the director's determination to establish an unmistakable blue collar identity for those we are supposed to care about, and the fact that the hostile and lethal threat are infected humans (greed), it seemed likely that the film was a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers but in reverse. IOTBS (1978) was supposed to be about the threat of communism (characters were middle-class under threat) and WWZ seems to be about greed and self-interested Republicanism (tea-baggers), wanting to attack and destroy the American working-classes, in an era of financial meltdown and economic crisis.

An important issue which could decide matters is whether the zombies on the plane are travelling in first-class or second. 

What the trailer does not show is whether the Pitt character has any special rapport with any black characters (another American trope).

The film has already taken $540m and so it obviously resonated with young blue collar audiences.

I think you forgot sexist  .. isn't there only 1 major'ish female character ?

I like the subtle dig at Palestine 

So Israel saw it coming , built a wall and kindly allowed some Palestinians in , who break into song to express their happiness , resulting in Israel being destroyed

it was about as subtle as a brick

though interestingly enough a lot of other interweb sites are saying the film is anti-Semitic for this same scene  ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

The WWZ film was awful.

Survivors (UK tv) + The Walking Dead. But it was so wrong and very frustrating, it was like the disaster was following the leading star (Pitt) and not that the disaster was taking over the world. It just wasn't a good narrative, a case of Pitt turning up and the shit hitting the fan, how one man can be at all major events is just ridiculous.

The book is better.

I think you forgot sexist  .. isn't there only 1 major'ish female character ?

I like the subtle dig at Palestine 

So Israel saw it coming , built a wall and kindly allowed some Palestinians in , who break into song to express their happiness , resulting in Israel being destroyed

it was about as subtle as a brick

though interestingly enough a lot of other interweb sites are saying the film is anti-Semitic for this same scene  ...

I did notice the sexism but not the same as you did.

The whole plot arises from the ideological notion that the male must take charge, take all the risks and generally be the rescuer, while the women say stuff like, "I'm frightened!".

The ideological trope that a man must choose between his country and his family and choose his country, is also notable.

The fact that the film starts in Manhattan, as sign-posted by the shot from the Chrysler building, which is near to Wall Street, seems to support my thesis.

So add that to the Israel thing and the anti-Semitic accusation looks tenable. 

It looks like was completely wrong about it being an attack on Republicans and is actually an attack on Wall Street, which seems obvious now.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

"I Am Legend" had some major faults, but it was still a better Zombie movie than WWZ.

would be interested in the opinion of anyone who has read both books because I am legend is probably the biggest onscreen raping of a good book ive ever seen

at least WWZ claims to only borrow from the book

Just watched the 4 hour English subtitled 'Das boot'.

Fantastic film, far better than I would have thought TBH.  The characters are so well fleshed out and the sense of claustrophobia comes across fantastically.

Feckin Tommys!

Fantastic film, far better than I would have thought TBH.  The characters are so well fleshed out and the sense of claustrophobia comes across fantastically.

Feckin Tommys!

A great film.

It is a strange feeling to find yourself on the side of the Germans when they are trying to sneak through the straits of Gibraltar.

I'm normally implacably opposed to remakes, and the original '3.10' is one of my favourite westerns, so I was sceptical.

Must admit though, it wasn't bad - although by creating a more involved plot, they diluted the 'psychological/noir' element of the original.

Edited by mjmooney

Feckin Tommys!

Only the 4 hour version? PUH. Get yer hands on the 'Original Uncut Version' which runs at just about 5 hours. The most perfect movie/series ever made.

• Like 1

Â