The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Cloud Atlas (film) was... kind of... rather... excellent.

It helped that the parts I liked most in the book were more pronounced in the film. In fact, I think I prefer the Sixsmith/Frobisher storyline in the film. The biggest problem, which is really unavoidable unless you want to go 5 hours +, is that a lot of characters are underdeveloped, and it is the type of story that you need some sort of investment in all the characters for it to pay off in the end. It still ends well, although similar to the book I find its ultimate meaning a little muddled.*But, it is really enjoyable, it looks fantastic, especially the future scenes, which (along with the Frobisher scenes) are the best acted and most affecting. It is a  strangely charming film in its own, flawed, oddly beautiful way.

*I thought it was about control when I read it, how each human fights to have control over their own lives and how 'evil' forces will always look to control them etc, but watching the film I thought I think it is quite an anti-capitalist film, and not in a pro-communist sense or anything like that, but more about how each human life has value. Or it could just be about love, which is certainly the most developed theme in the film. As I said, it is a bit muddled, but ambitious films/books usually are.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

torn by it, the quite good 1st class thrown in with the god awful other Xmen films, dunno what it is but it certainly hasn't got me excited like the winter soldier trailer has, not sure if it looks like its going to try really hard to be a well written drama that happens to have superheroes in it, which IMO is a recipe for disaster because they are rarely well written...

It's Bryan Singer (original X-Men) as opposed to Matthew Vaughn (First Class).  I liked the originals and he did The Usual Suspects too so I remain hopeful.  Give the trailer a watch.  There's a time travel/warp element to it as the name suggests which brings James McAvoy & Partick Stewart together, which can suuuuurely only be a good thing :)

It's Bryan Singer (original X-Men) as opposed to Matthew Vaughn (First Class).  I liked the originals and he did The Usual Suspects too so I remain hopeful.  Give the trailer a watch.  There's a time travel/warp element to it as the name suggests which brings James McAvoy & Partick Stewart together, which can suuuuurely only be a good thing :)

Are they going to continue using Donner's production company ?

I cant wait for Xmen DOFP

I thought they were using the Cable story line from the cartoon (only with Wolverine going back rather than Cable) but by the looks of the trailer that isn't what is happening now.

I'm excited for it anyway

I thought wolverine had replaced kiity pryde's role from the comics? which from what I can remember is cable's role in the cartoon

Yeah it was Kitty Pryde time travelling in the comic, but for the film I think they've made a good decision to switch to Wolverine.

Singer also made Superman Returns, remember. I like X1 and 2, and elements of First Class, and the story they are using for this one is a great comic arc, but it could so easily become a mess. They're walking a fine line and its one they could easily fall off. But I don't doubt there will be some excellent moments- for comic fans just having the sentinels in it properly will boost it.

I've enjoyed all the X-Men movies to varying degrees and only really been disappointed with number 3 and the first Wolverine movie.

Very much looking forward to DoFP.

Edited by Designer1

Bit of a strange trailer that. It feels thrown together, not as slick as most trailers these days. The visuals look a little off which I have to guess is because it's very early footage, but again even early trailers tend to be more polished than that - see Cap last week.

Saying that, there's hints to some decent stuff there, but also nods to part of my concern with it, which is that there will be too many characters. The series already had a fairly large established characters, and with this film they're introducing more as well as chucking in alternative versions of some of those characters with the past timeline.

I've got my fingers crossed, because there's potential for gold adapting Days of Future Past and I do think a lot of the established cast is excellent and characters like Bishop could be great additions, but it could be a mess.

Edited by Chindie

Bit of a strange trailer that. It feels thrown together, not as slick as most trailers these days. The visuals look a little off which I have to guess is because it's very early footage, but again even early trailers tend to be more polished than that - see Cap last week..

think that's pretty much my thoughts

Â