The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

So they're not moving too far from the original?

Looks like it will be a different story with a lot of the original robots, the original one wasn't a cheesy film unlike Nos 2,3 & if I remember a 4th. I think this will be a much more rounded film like the original

If you think the original Robocop is in any way shape or form 'shiny' then I can only assume you haven't seen it.

It's a gloriously grubby movie, with jet black wit and a lovely sense of satire that is (again, only from what i can see from the trailers) completely missing from this remake.

If you think the original Robocop is in any way shape or form 'shiny' then I can only assume you haven't seen it.

It's a gloriously grubby movie, with jet black wit and a lovely sense of satire that is (again, only from what i can see from the trailers) completely missing from this remake.

I saw bits of it and got bored.

Exactly what I thought. Everyone watching the trailer is like "wow looks awesome" and I'm like "looks terrible"

Just looks like they've taken a film defined by it's atmosphere and just made it into another I, robot. It's going to be awful. Like how they're having to explain why a human/robot hybrid cop is better than whole robot. We know, we're human. Verhoeven didn't need to tell us. It's obvious it's going to be 2013 Hollywood blockbuster claptrap. Such a shame.

• Like 1

I'm usually late in getting round to seeing films as I struggle to make time to go to the cinema, so I rely on Sky Movies...and have recently watched three excellent films. 

1. Argo

2. Django Unchained

3. Zero dark thirty

Was very impressed with all of them. Top drawer.

Zero Dark Thirty troubled me. For a good hour I thought it was a good, upmarket Homeland (Season 1), but then Maya said 'I believe I was spared so I could finish the job.'

Spared?

And with that the film's true colours were there for all to see, and it fast became nothing more than another exercise in propaganda.

A bit like Homeland, really.

• Like 1

Pacific Rim - 1 out of 10...god this film was woeful. Awful...beyond awful.

Starting to wonder if del toro has either lost it or maybe he just got lucky and never really 'had it'. Pans labrinyth is a masterpiece. Blade 2 was very good. Hellboy was decent but other then that he aint really done much to warrant his reputation. His resume is actually rather average. He can only eat out on pans labrinyth for so long.

He is the Kaka of the movie world...hype job

Edited by donnie

Try watching a film called The Present, released in 1993 about the trials and tribulations of individuals involved within college football and trying to make it into the NFL; also watched American History X last night on Sky Movies.

Edited by Avflife

Really don't understand the pacific rim hate. I loved it for its cinematic appeal. The whole jeager against huge alien is awesome to me. Lots of people love it, lots of people hate it. I'm in the love camp, can't see the other side.

I loved the look of Pacific Rim, and I'm a fan of anime and mecha to a point, but I found the film went on for too long and my interest began to wane. I too expected more of GDT, especially from a story and script point of view. The vast majority of the dialogue was absolutely cringing, especially the nerdy English scientist. God he was dreadful. I know it's not exactly a film to take seriously, but it was still pretty woeful.

Watched Apollo 13 for the first time in a good many years last night. Great film, brilliant cast and a fascinating story based on true events. Absolutely amazing.

Edited by Ginko

Â