The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Due to snow boredom I watched Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Not even Keira's kooky English bird could save this one. Predictable and not particularly funny.

Also watched Dead Man Walking which was a brilliant, powerful two hours. Can't believe I've missed this since 1995. Tim Robbins should direct more often. It took me a while to realise the chaplain is Hershel from The Walking Dead.

Due to boredom on Saturday saw kung fu panda for the first time, have to say some kids films can make decent viewing for adults with some additional humour in, didnt feel this was one of them... Easy viewing of course, but didn't really think it was humorous.

Edited by mikeyp102

Watched Amour last night. It's easily one of the most moving films i've ever seen as is up there with Haneke's finest work.

Emmanuelle Riva should have got the Oscar in my opinion, mind you I thought Quvenzhane Wallis deserved it more than Jennifer Lawrence too, and i'm a big fan of hers (Lawrence).

Watched The Hobbit the other night. It was like stepping into some warm and comfortable slippers. Nothing really amazing about it, but entertaining, beautiful to look at, and just nice to experience Middle Earth again.

Bobby Fischer Against the World is a good watch. Most of the film is spent building up to the Spassky match, and it has a similar feel to When We Were Kings except they are talking about chess not boxing (not chessboxing either but I digress).

Watched The Hobbit the other night. It was like stepping into some warm and comfortable slippers. Nothing really amazing about it, but entertaining, beautiful to look at, and just nice to experience Middle Earth again.

Couldn't agree more, which is why I didn't mind the running time in the end.

new world war z trailer out, less of the really dodgy looking CGI (still plenty of it but not as much as the 1st) IMO something still doesnt seem right about it, might be that other than pitt the cast doesnt seem anything special, i cant grasp from the trailers what its going to be, its not horror / thriller, hope its not a drama but at the same time the action doesnt look good enough, think it'll just end up as a "summer blockbuster" where it doesnt really do anything bar a couple of flashy set pieces to appeal to the masses

i'll see it because i like pitt but its not exciting me at all

1st wolverine trailer out on wednesday

jean grey is in it, havent said if its a flashback, its set in japan, silver samurai is the villain 

surely cant be worst than the last 1?

also saw that for the follow up to xmen 1st class -

they have cast half of X3 and are doing some sort of half and half film with both casts

dinklage and omar sy have been cast in unknown roles which sounds good

new world war z trailer out, less of the really dodgy looking CGI (still plenty of it but not as much as the 1st) IMO something still doesnt seem right about it,

Exactly how I felt about the first one.

Seems like a really good idea, but doesn't quite look like it's executed right. Can't put my finger on it but it's stopping me being really excited about it

I watched Looped last night. That little kid is really really cool. It would've been better if it was just him going mental with his powers for the whole film. I guess that would just be a live action Akira with a 4/5 year old kid though, so shrug.gif

Tetsuo did it best. It even had the totally mental bit at the end where the antagonist become some sort of massive non-human ball of stuff that went around wrecking shit. Well kind of. As I recall (been awhile since I saw Tetsuo), rather than him being killed, he and the protagonist melded into one, to become this big tank thing, that goes driving down the street and off in to the sunset, a bit like how Fagin & Dodger do at the end of Oliver.

Â