The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I watched Dracula with Bela Lugosi today. Well, it wasn't very good, I think. Probably good when it came, but 80+ years later I think it's quite out of time. :)

It is rather clunky these days and it doesn't stand up as well as say James Whales Frankenstein, but it still has a lot going for it. Todd Brownings direction, the castle set, Bela's entrance and Dwight Fryre's beautifully manic Renfield still stand out for me.

Yeah, I liked the castle and Lugosi. And Renfield was quite good too. But it was mostly strange, I think. Not bad, but it felt a little weird. But for someone who likes Dracula I guess it was still a must see. :)

'Amour'.

It was tough, but very good. I certainly think it is a lot colder, and more of a critique, than some let on. Maybe that is my reading of it, but it did seem to me as if there was a strong case for there having to be a better way to conclude our lives than that.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Just a heads up - The Secret In Their Eyes is on Saturday night BBC4 at 950pm.

This is a top notch film, with a brilliant storyline and classic ending. Well worth recording, even if you don't like foreign films with subtitles!

(I'm sure Designer1 will also endorse this suggestion!!!!)

• Like 1

Just a heads up - The Secret In Their Eyes is on Saturday night BBC4 at 950pm.

This is a top notch film, with a brilliant storyline and classic ending. Well worth recording, even if you don't like foreign films with subtitles!

(I'm sure Designer1 will also endorse this suggestion!!!!)

Your bloody right I will! Contains one of my favourite sequences in a movie ever (the famous 'Stadium' scene)

Sadly, still haven't been able to get it on Blu ray anywhere (other than an Import).

• Like 1

I love the fact that The Rock is wearing one of his classic WWF dress shirts halfway through this trailer. A cool little nod to the fans.

Is the rock actually classed as an actor now???

I have just took a look on his IMDB page and the only film I have seen with him in was doom and I cant remember **** all about that to be honest

I had stopped watching wrestling when he was in it as well so never got what the big fuss with him was

I love the fact that The Rock is wearing one of his classic WWF dress shirts halfway through this trailer. A cool little nod to the fans.

I have just took a look on his IMDB page and the only film I have seen with him in was doom and I cant remember **** all about that to be honest

I had stopped watching wrestling when he was in it as well so never got what the big fuss with him was

He's in a lot of films to be fair.

Most of them are shit, but still. I think it's fair to call him a bonafide actor now. Although it's "Dwayne Johnson" these days, of course.

Watched the bluray of Django last night, 2nd viewing of the film.

Just like Inglorious I enjoyed it more on the 2nd viewing.

What a brilliant film, di Caprio is excellent and waltz is also amazing again.

the rock seems to be in a fair few half decent films, faster, walking tall, fast 5, good cameo in the other guys, films that happily kill 2 hours but arent anything to write home about

sure he had a deal with disney too hence films like the tooth fairy and race to witch mountain

busy man this year got about 5 films out, my brother being a wrestling fan bought in to the bullshit surrounding GI Joe being delayed so it could coincide with his return to WWE, that lie that swept the 6 months of re-shoots following awful screen tests under the carpet...

The older order changeth, yielding place to new. God fulfils himself in many ways. And soon, I suppose, I shall be swept away by some vulgar little tumour. Oh, my boys, my boys, we're at the end of an age. We live in a land of weather forecasts and breakfasts that set in. Shat on by Tories, shovelled up by Labour. And here we are, we three, perhaps the last island of beauty in the world

RIP

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

He's amongst the highest paid actors in Hollywood, believe it or not, this is despite being a terrible actor who hasn't done a single film that wasn't hot garbage.

RIP Richard Griffiths.

I shall give Withnail and I a viewing in remembrance.

Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees.

He shall be missed. I'll definitely give Withnail a watch over the weekend in remembrance.

'Winter's Bone' is on BBC2 tonight.

Watch it.

Yep seconded. If you thought Jennifer Lawrence was good in Silver Linings Playbook then definitely watch it as I think she surpasses that performance.

I finally watched the Wolverine trailer yesterday (well, both of them).

It appears to be just me that thinks it looks a bit shit.

I also got to see a bit of the next Hobbit film last weekend - preorders of the bluray at some retailers have given you a code that let you watch an hour long behind the scenes thing with Peter Jackson, which ended with a brief clip of the next film. Suffice to say, it looked alright but, if you're a proper Tolkien fanboy, even that little clip is going to drive you up the wall.

The clip concerns Gandalf going off to investigate the Morgul blade that appears in a brief interlude in the first film, seeing him visit the forsaken tomb of the Nazgul from LOTR. Except, IIRC my Tolkien legendarium correctly, thats not in the books/appendices at all - the Nazgul never had tombs...

Edited by Chindie

Â