The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

i dunno yet, the best bit of the trailer IMO on the train at the same time looks cheap, im not that familiar with the SS or logan in japan other than a few cartoons, think they will play on jean grey too much and it already looks to have a ridiculous plot hole -

he becomes mortal, it hurts when he gets hit, hurts when he gets shot, he's covered in scars, yet he can still get the claws out...

I watched Winter's Bone and goddaym if I dint have to put the subs on y'all. I think I can sympathise a bit better with those American shows that have subs for Brummy's or Geordie's or whatever now.

Any of you lot familiar with the actor wesley jonathan? Do you rate any of the films he is in.

Only one film in his canon that piqued my interest. The celibate nympho chronicles appears worth a look. On second thoughts though, if the nymphos are celibate, there's probably not much going on.

gi joe

really dont get what they were thinking, on one hand the 1st film was shit with a dodgy story and dodgier CGI so something drastic needed to happen, on the other they kill off the entire joe cast, turn bad guys in good guys, go overly american, introduce willis but then give him hardly any screen time and have an equally shit story so that doesnt work either, firefly is a good addition other than that its pretty bad

Edited by villa4europe

I watched three films today.

First up was The Hobbit. It was a lot better than I expected. The pacing was certainly a lot different to The Lord Of The Rings trilogy and it was noticeably 'lighter' in tone, but I am of the assumption that is in keeping with the books. I enjoyed it all the same. It was visually stunning, it flowed well and there was more than enough action to keep the child in me happy. I simply love the world and not having read the books I'm genuinely gripped by the story. It didn't feel 2 hours 50 minutes either. I'm struggling to think of many negatives, though perhaps I could have done with more back story. It's an 8/10 any day of the week.

Then we watched Dark City. A genuinely odd, messy film. Plothole's galore, it felt cramped and dated despite the glorious (for the time) SFX. However, it was creepy enough and fantastical enough to provide interest for the running time and the cinematography was absolutely superb. Interesting concept movie, at times surprisingly poorly executed. 5/10

The best of the lot was Secret in Their Eyes. An Argentinian film, a lot of you will have probably seen it or at least know of but for those of you that haven't I don't want to give too much away. I knew nothing going in to it and that helped my enjoyment. Remarkable screenplay, twisting and turning the whole way through. Even the love story contained within didn't seem contrived as they often can do. It's a film that knows how to use it's plot devices without over egging them. Nothing is signposted and it constantly has you leaning forward. Top notch acting all round too, just a really, really good film. 9/10

i dunno yet, the best bit of the trailer IMO on the train at the same time looks cheap, im not that familiar with the SS or logan in japan other than a few cartoons, think they will play on jean grey too much and it already looks to have a ridiculous plot hole -

he becomes mortal, it hurts when he gets hit, hurts when he gets shot, he's covered in scars, yet he can still get the claws out...

If he became more then surely he'd just instantly die anyway, I always thought it was his healing factor that allowed his body to even survive in that state.

Heyo! Back from holidays :(

But I've been getting through some films along the way.

Amélie - Thoroughly charming film and Audrey Tautou is distractingly gorgeous in it. Very enjoyable 9/10.

Silver Linings Playbook - Good performances even if the storyline is a little bland making it over-rated IMO. 7.5/10

The Descendants - Again, I found it to be a little over-rated although still a good movie. 7/10

Perrier's Bounty - Good cast and a fun crime caper. Knew what I was getting and got it. 7.5/10

Wreck It Ralph - What can you say. Nostalgia a-go-go. Enjoyable stuff 8/10

Pan's Labyrinth - So I'm late to the party. Didn't know what to expect here but enjoyed it more for that. 8/10

Gangs of New York - Really enjoyed this. What a cast and great performances. I should've watched this sooner. 9/10

Frankenweenie - Was recommended by an animator mate of mine. It was OK but it didn't do much for me. 6/10

There are probably more. I can't think at the mo'.

Perrier's Bounty was weird. I think the writers were trying to be cleverer than they are. Was no need for all characters to talk as if they were masters of English language. 

still decent watch though

Aye, Gangs of New York is a cracking film, I love it's grubby feel. Arguably Daniel Day Lewis's finest hour, I think it's underrated by the many.

It really is. 2 leads were brilliant in it and dont know why not as popular as it should be. Only thing that irritated me was teh Cameron Diaz character for some reason

Perrier's Bounty was weird. I think the writers were trying to be cleverer than they are. Was no need for all characters to talk as if they were masters of English language. 

still decent watch though

Yeah there were some points where the dialogue was unnecessarily flowery and inconsistent with the way they had been speaking up to that point. Plus it took me a while to get over Jim Broadbent's Irish accent. Jesus, when will everyone learn. If you don't have an Oirish accent, don't try putting one on. It never ever works.

Only thing that irritated me was teh Cameron Diaz character for some reason

Again, I agree. I think it would've benefitted from a lesser known actress. In fairness they had one lined up until the studio demanded a 'more bankable' star. It didn't really irritate. I just remember thinking it didn't need Diaz.

I tend to read all the trivia/goofs etc on IMDb after watching an enjoyable film. DDL was so fed up with the greasy feel of his hair that he shaved it off immediately after filming had ended.

maybe irritating wasnt the word but it didnt have to be her. Could have been any actress in that role but kept just thinking it was Cameron Diaz and not the character.

be shocked if she had any impact on box-office returns

Â