The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched the second half of Tintin (the bit I'd slept through) the morning,and I've decided that it's excellent - the reviewers were talking bollocks. Looking forward to the sequel (presumably "Red Rackham's Treasure").

Super-8 next. Not expecting much, but we'll see.

I'm surprised you liked Tintin.

Super 8 is alright. Suffers from its desire to be homage and some of its design.

Watched the second half of Tintin (the bit I'd slept through) the morning,and I've decided that it's excellent - the reviewers were talking bollocks. Looking forward to the sequel (presumably "Red Rackham's Treasure").

Super-8 next. Not expecting much, but we'll see.

I'm a big fan of the Tintin books, but I loved the film as well. I was won over early on by the scene where T gets his portrait painted in the market. The portrait painter is an animated cameo of Herge. (He holds up his finished work, revealing the classic Tintin face from the books and says "Zere we are sir, I sink I have captured somesing of your likeness.")

I wasn't impressed with Super 8. Homage my arse :)

Knocked another of the list last night - Shooter. very good! I didnt know it was a kind of sniper movie.

Nah dusk till dawn surely

Pneumatic Drill Stake, Sex Machine, Yellow Pussay White Pussay, Smelly Pussay

Salma Hayek half naked with a snake round her neck

Condoms filled with holy water

Best film ever made

ALIENS?

ice hockey needs are catered for by Paul Newman and Slapshot! ;)

I know there's more but that's the only ice hockey one I've seen myself.

Seann William Scott has an amazing talent for raking in lots of money for playing the same character it seems, but obviously doing better than his other American Pie lot, the Pie Reunion film a reminder of just how little the rest of the cast, Alyson Hannigan aside, have done.

Getting 90% on rotten tomatoes I thought I'd watch Martha Marcy May Marlene. I can only imagine this is a typo by RT and it should read 9%. Very very boring with a very shit ending that is the extreme of a make up your own mind what happens/happened.

ice hockey needs are catered for by Paul Newman and Slapshot! ;)

I know there's more but that's the only ice hockey one I've seen myself.

Seann William Scott has an amazing talent for raking in lots of money for playing the same character it seems, but obviously doing better than his other American Pie lot, the Pie Reunion film a reminder of just how little the rest of the cast, Alyson Hannigan aside, have done.

Nope, there's hardly any films about hockey - unless you count The Mighty Ducks.

Had the same conversation the other day about the American Pie cast, having just seen the reunion. At the time Biggs, Suvari, Reid were all considered stars in the making but I guess it's testament to the way their careers have gone that the best they can manage is a re-boot of an already dead franchise, with the same tired jokes. Hannigan on the other hand, is still fairly high on my guilty pleasures list so I won't hear a word against her ;-)

Aliens on tonight channel 4

Ive already seen it a million times but it gets better every time i see it

Alright sweethearts what you waiting for breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps a day in the marine corp is like a day on the farm Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!

Look into my eye!.

Iam now a fully recognised recruit btw Colonial Marines.

Starship Troopers is one of my favourite films, probably the best out of Robocop, Total Recall of Paul Verhoeven's because of the farcical send up of American Imperialism. I understand the book has no similarity in this sense but I haven't read it myself.

On what I've seen recently, I found The Wrestler very good on all accounts although it might as well have been subtitled "a dramatisation of Jake the Snake in the documentary, Beyond The Mat"

Super 8 was awful. Real letdown waste of time.

On what I've seen recently, I found The Wrestler very good on all accounts although it might as well have been subtitled "a dramatisation of Jake the Snake in the documentary, Beyond The Mat"

Ha ha. Beyond The Mat is legendary. The best documentary ever made! The Wrestler is decent too.

This coming from a hugely biased wrestling fan! :D

You think?

Seen and read Starship Troopers, so know the film covers less than half of a really short book - but still.

Not plot-wise, but the whole macho 'space marines versus creepy aliens' thing reminded me of the book - which IS very gung-ho right-wing American cold war propaganda (but as a 16 year old I LOVED it).

Constantine is on ITV at the moment. Somewhat of a guilty pleasure, it's entirely rubbish but the premise deserved better. Unfortunately they **** it up (Keanu Reeves?!) and the entire thing feels like nobody had any faith in it.

Constantine still has promise for a film though. A cynical Scouse occult detective, chain smoking and cancer riddled, with a side of con artistry and magic. It ties into that style of fantastical reality very well. Sadly the film they made **** it up royally has killed any chance of it being done well.

Following recommendations on here I ordered the following yesterday;

House of the Devil

Moneyball

The Station Agent

Cargo

Looking forward to watching them all

mmmmmm Cargo. That was a good one. Yummy Euro sci-fi.

Started watching Take Shelter last night, rather stupidly at 0030, so after half an hour I was too sleppy to concentrate. Which is a great shame as I was enjoying it. It sounds really wonderful, with a very real sense of foreboding created with those enourmous cloud/storm shots. There have been some quite stark horror-esque dream sequences too, which is a massively juxtaposed to the rest of the waking-world sequences, where everything is carefree and mostly normal. Wasn't really expecting that, and it worked really well. Very eager to see how if fits in as the film progresses.

Â