The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Well I suggest you sort this out.

I still haven't gotten round to it. Probably won't for a while if I'm honest. I don't know anyone who has the DVD/Bluray, I don't think it's had a TV premiere yet (on Film4/terrestrial), and I exceptionally rarely follow the other avenues for anything these days.

I do really want to see it though. I just can't justify getting it myself, especially with no money coming in just yet...

...Perhaps I'll buy it on my first payslip at a new job? Haha.

TDK is fairly unbelievable I remember when me & my ten year old brother came out of the cinema the two of us were in awe of what we had just witnessed. Begins is another great movie, but I just have a slight feeling that the 3rd might blow both out of the water. Can not wait.

Nolan has stated that he still wants to make a Bond film. I'm hoping he'll be given that opportunity in the coming years as his work in 'Inception' showed just how much he loves Bond and also how he could probably do a very good job with the franchise.

If TDKR is better than TDK then I'll be hugely impressed and slightly amazed. TDK is one of my favourite films and yes I am one of those who unashamedly believes Heath Ledger was absolutely fantastic as the joker and fully deserved his oscar, post-humous or not. I've been a Tom Hardy fan since Star Trek : Nemesis so as he's one of my favourite actors I will be giving this every chance. It's just that TDK was nearly perfect as an action movie for me. Partly because the explosions didn't dominate the movie.

If TDKR is better than TDK then I'll be hugely impressed and slightly amazed. TDK is one of my favourite films and yes I am one of those who unashamedly believes Heath Ledger was absolutely fantastic as the joker and fully deserved his oscar, post-humous or not. I've been a Tom Hardy fan since Star Trek : Nemesis so as he's one of my favourite actors I will be giving this every chance. It's just that TDK was nearly perfect as an action movie for me. Partly because the explosions didn't dominate the movie.

If TDKR is better than TDK then I'll probably get arrested for masturbating in the cinema

First trailer for Tarantino's latest, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdM9vrCbow.

This has been absolutely plagued with people signing on and leaving after a few days shooting, but even so... that looks great. Leonardo diCaprio looks like he's just going the scenery chew at every opportunity.

Was just coming on to post that! Damn you! :D

Looks good I think. I'm a big fan of Tarrantino, I love the completely random and pointless dialogue he puts into films, makes some scenes really unique.

Guess you either like it or you hate it.

Looking forward to this one!

OK, I finally got around to Tintin.

I quite enjoyed it up to the point I fell asleep.

That's all I can say really.

I did the exact same thing. Visually it's lovely, but there weren't much there to keep me that interested.

I kinda like Tarantino. His biggest failures are the films where he's unable to contain his enthusiasm for genre - It's that kind of thing that sees Kill Bill be a step down from Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown's heights, and then Deathproof being a further step down. I don't massively dislike any of his films besides Death Proof, but theres a clear decline when he gets a bit self indulgent.

Django, from the likes of that trailer, looks like he's finding a groove he likes again, theres a lot of Inglorious Basterds in that trailer imo. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I may have just gotten a bargain - Avengers Steelbook is available for preorder on HMV today, looks like it'll be a HMV exclusive (I wanted to go for a non-UK edition, to avoid the 'Assemble' thing... but the hassle is too much for me to bother with), £15.99... however they've also got a 20% off voucher doing the rounds and that knocks it down to £12.79, which is a great deal for a new big release bluray anyway but for a steel as well, fantastic.

Tarantino has been banging on about doing a western for absolutely years. As a fan of his i'm really looking forward to it, and as long as he reigns in his 'borrowing of shots' from other movies (tribute is one thing, blatant rip-off is another) then I think it should be fine.

In fact, if it's half the movie that Sukiyaki Western Django was (Tarantino had a minor role in it) then it will be pretty awesome. Although as much as QT would like to be, he is no Takashi Miike ;)

I love the early Tarantinos, but if he does westerns like he does war movies, I shall be avoiding.

How did you like my reaction to Tintin, BTW Si?

I kinda like Tarantino. His biggest failures are the films where he's unable to contain his enthusiasm for genre

That's the thing with him though isn't it? For all intents and purposes, 99% of his movies have been him showing his love for film and it's genres. He's a guy that lives and breathes cinema. He just occasionally needs to come away from being a fan to concentrate on being a director and writer. Like I said though, i've always been a fan.

How did you like my reaction to Tintin, BTW Si?

I prefer your review to the crap spouted by some of the movie critics. At least you were honest :mrgreen:

TBH, after those reviews I expected to hate it, and was pleasantly surprised. Still fell asleep, mind. :)

Â