The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched 2001 for the first time in a while last night. Nobody makes films like Kubrick did.
I read the book recently. It explains a few things I can't remember the film addressing particularly from the Star Gate onwards.

Not sure what to make of 'House of the Devil', was a good film but not as good as Id heard, was a nice tribute to the classic 70's/80's horrors but it lacked something that I cant quite put my finger on.

Love House of the Devil. Really well put together 'old school' horror movie. Nice and subtle build up of dread and Tom Noonan is gloriously creepy.

Saw Skeleton key last night. Thought it was quite good. Never really frightened me, but still a good horror movie. I liked the end too, though it might've been an obvious end. Have to admit that I didn't start to understand untill the last 15 minutes or so, but I'm not very good at find out the end before the end. Never really try, actually. 7.5/10 from me.

Just finished watching '50/50'. Good lord. All the times I've watched films praying for a different ending to the stock 'Hollywood happy ending' and here I was hoping for one.

Great, great film. Funny, sad, lovely, gross. Everything really. Very underrated film. Even Seth Rogen was pretty good.

Oh and I so so badly want Anna Kendrick to be my future wife. She could be THE most perfect women I've ever seen.

Just finished watching '50/50'. Good lord. All the times I've watched films praying for a different ending to the stock 'Hollywood happy ending' and here I was hoping for one.

Great, great film. Funny, sad, lovely, gross. Everything really. Very underrated film. Even Seth Rogen was pretty good.

Oh and I so so badly want Anna Kendrick to be my future wife. She could be THE most perfect women I've ever seen.

It's a great movie mate, but it certainly isn't underrated

Watched 2001 for the first time in a while last night. Nobody makes films like Kubrick did.
I read the book recently. It explains a few things I can't remember the film addressing particularly from the Star Gate onwards.

Yeah I've heard the book goes on to explain more before - apparently Kubrick intended it to be more open to interpretation and be more ambiguous. Clarke was interested in telling a complete story, hence him apparently explaining the entire nature of the monolith.

I think I like Kubricks' choice there. The monolith is far more enigmatic as this mysterious entity that recurs throughout space and time.

I'd forgotten just how... creepy?... 2001 is in parts. I'm not sure what it is, but theres just something slightly unsettling about the whole film. The Shining, which obviously was intended to be a bit creepy (and I maintain it's a scarier film than the Exorcist ever was because of this), has a really similar feel to it. You feel uneasy watching both films, even when what you're seeing is pretty mundane. The second act of 2001, with the doctor visiting the space station and then the moon, has very little happen in reality and certainly nothing necessarily creepy, but I find it really uneasy watching. Repeat for the whole film.

Eyes Wide Shut is very unsettling at times. Pity no one likes it. His films usually take ten years though. Having said that, in one state of mind it could just be seen as Tom Cruise's inability to get ****. Then it isn't unsettling, just funny.

Kubrick's 'colour' career is fascinating, but for pure fun then The Killing is worth a watch. Streets ahead of it's time in terms of non-linear narrative. And of course excellent shot composition.

It's a great movie mate, but it certainly isn't underrated

Ahhhh right, well.....Erm.. I have no idea why I thought most people didn't like it.

Watched the lovely bones last night.

Very powerful film and Stanley Tucci was brilliant, not sure what my overall opinion is though. I liked the scenes with the young girl but maybe there were too many of them by the end of the film.

7/10

Watched stake land

Pretty good, went for a realistic approach to vampires and came up with a load of yanks getting overly religious, a touch of the road about it, no big name actors and no cheap thrills/shocks but the story between the 2 central characters isnt overly strong because the 1 of them is the mysterious quiet type

Worth a watch, it's on sky movies anytime

on another note...

popping over to a friends house tonight and they haven't seen Mission Impossible 4 yet so i'm taking it over...

im a huge fan of those films, 1,3 and 4 are great, 2 less so....

i still cannot believe Cruise hung himself off the Burj Khalifa in Dubai...muchos respect for that....

i feel sorry for Katie Holmes trying to fit Gonads the size of Cruises in her mouth

Very powerful film and Stanley Tucci was brilliant, not sure what my overall opinion is though. I liked the scenes with the young girl but maybe there were too many of them by the end of the film.

7/10

hmmm, i saw this a few months ago.

i'd give it 5/10.

could have done much better.

7/10

hmmm, i saw this a few months ago.

i'd give it 5/10.

could have done much better.

Yeah I get the feeling this film would draw some very different opinions, would be interested to see what other people thought.

Â