The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Watched a film called the tortured, guy kills their daughter so they kidnapp him and torture him. Half decent film.

Distinct lack of good horror type films about.

Also watched contraband, the acting is shite, it should have been a good yarn, shame.

Finally got to see Elite Squad 2...Awesome! Prefered it to the first elite squad. Right mixture of tension, action and realism throughout without silly cgi. 9 out of 10. Elite squad 2 and Drive are my picks for best film of last year

As a bit of a 2000AD geek and someone who was incredibly disappointed with Stallones version, I'm rather looking forward to Dredd.

dreddpostermain.jpg

Think Urban is a decent choice for Dredd (slightly too small you could argue) and as a) The helmet is definitely NOT coming off B) 2000AD Legend Carlos Ezquerra has writing credits i'm cautiously optimistic.

If this one goes well, then I can begin to dream of a sequel featuring Judge Death :)

Rumours of trouble with the director gives me even less hope for that film being any good. A lot of the photos released for it look crap too, the helmet is far too big for Urban's head, and the whole thing seems to have nowhere near the budget the creators would like.

Sadly. A good Dredd movie would be fantastic. Trailer should drop soon.

Speaking of Dredd...

Judge_dread_3.jpg

Remember these from the Stallone version? I've managed to get up close to one, they're massive. When I was little we used to spend a load of time in Aberystwyth, every other weekend nearly, and the Landrover dealership in the town ended up being given a couple to have for some reason, and you could get really close to have a mooch. Always thought they looked very cool. Sadly nobody looked after the things and I distinctly remeber the last time I saw them they were in a pretty bad state of repair.

That thing is seriously let down by the obvious UK number plate.

EDIT: Aaaarrrggghhh!!! 'New page' syndrome!

THAT thing:

Judge_dread_3.jpg

The new page thing is intensely annoying, I always hate being the last comment on the previous page, because you know 90% of readers won't look...

Anyway, the number plate wasn't on them in the film. They were really easy to convert to road legal status (underneath it's an old Landrover van IIRC) and a few people did, since there were enough of them made for the fil that they weren't immensely hard to come by if you really wanted one. Presumably, that pic is one that someone did buy and convert.

A lot of the photos released for it look crap too, the helmet is far too big for Urban's head

Looks ok on this one...

90851_gal.jpg

Suppose it depends which 2000AD artist (if any) they are basing the design on. There was quite a difference between the style of Smith, Kennedy, Bolland, Ezquerra et al and then even they seemed to change their own interpretation from time to time.

Agree about the budget btw. 45mish probably not enough for today's standards, particularly when dealing with something as ambitious as Dredd.

I'll still remain hopeful though (at least until the first trailer :mrgreen:)

It doesn't look too bad in some shots, but others it's comically large. I always associate Dredd as having a helmet that is tight to his face, theres a clear gap there with this interpretation. and in some shots the whole thing itself is just... absurdly big, looking beyond silly.

I also have a soft spot for the more... over the top Dredd uniform with the mad shoulders, as opposed to the more conservative take that this film is aping, so the costume doesn't get my blood pumping. Saying that considering they are going for the less over the top style and they've nailed that, helmet aside.

I'll probably see it regardless. But the trailer needs to knock it out of the park.

Just watched The Devil's Double about Uday Saddam's double and really enjoyed it, surprised by how many poor reviews there appear to be though, I didn't expect fact, but Dominic Cooper's performance in both roles is fantastic, he's especially great in drawing out the batshit insanity of Uday, indeed I thought it was two actors who looked similar until the credits rolled!

It appears, it may well have been the story of a massive fantasist, reading around it now, but nonetheless it was a fascinating film all the same. Plot etc does get lost a bit but tbh that was because it's dwarfed by the character of uday and the double latif yahia.

well worth it for Cooper's performance at the least anyway, kept me hooked for the whole film.

'Super 8'. Meh. Passed a couple of hours. OK if you're nostalgic about E.T., Close Encounters and Jurassic Park, I suppose.

At least it wasn't 'Cowboys and Aliens'.

take shelter is superb...

Michael Shannon :notworthy:

90% This.

The ending left me a little troubled. Less the ambiguity, more the meaning, as in what message are we left with? Taking into account the post 9-11 metaphor, it leaves me a little 'eh?' Maybe I've got it wrong..

Good show though, perhaps let down.in the end by its aims to be a metaphor.

It doesn't look too bad in some shots, but others it's comically large. I always associate Dredd as having a helmet that is tight to his face, theres a clear gap there with this interpretation. and in some shots the whole thing itself is just... absurdly big, looking beyond silly.

I also have a soft spot for the more... over the top Dredd uniform with the mad shoulders, as opposed to the more conservative take that this film is aping, so the costume doesn't get my blood pumping. Saying that considering they are going for the less over the top style and they've nailed that, helmet aside.

I'll probably see it regardless. But the trailer needs to knock it out of the park.

Thing is putting Dredd in a film in the over the top suit with the huge shoulders, would be akin to putting Wolverine in the tight yellow/black suit with the stupid mask.

Personally I've got high hopes for this film, if it keeps the darker tone I'm all for it. Also think Urban could be inspired casting.

Thing is putting Dredd in a film in the over the top suit with the huge shoulders, would be akin to putting Wolverine in the tight yellow/black suit with the stupid mask.

Personally I've got high hopes for this film, if it keeps the darker tone I'm all for it. Also think Urban could be inspired casting.

Well, the Stallone version did it and the one thing that film got largely right is the look of the thing. You can get away with a lot with regards comic films if you're careful about the art direction of the entire thing - imo, you could have a film where Wolverine wore his traditional costume if you nailed the tone and look of the entire thing. Which is difficult, but not impossible.

I want the film to be good, Dredd has potential for a great film... I just don't think this has the budget or the solid united vision behind it, to manage it. Hopefully it'll be decent enough to warrant another crack with a bit more cash.

watched Ides Of March last night - even though I don't fully get the whole American election process, it was pretty good.

Again - good performances from Ryan Gosling, Clooney, Seymour-Hoffman and Giammatti.

Â