The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I couldn't sleep last night/this morning so I ended up watching "Safe House" at around 5 am. I thought that it was decent. Denzel Washington is one of my favourite actors and Ryan Reynolds is good in it too. There were a couple of nice twists in the story which kept it interesting. I'd give it 8/10.

Watched a good film the other night called 'Prime', uma thurman was hot in it and was about a divorcee in her late thirties shagging a guy in his early twenties and all of the drama and whatnot that situation entails.

Not the best film ever, just one of those nice little 'moment in life' story type films.

/ghey

American Pie - The Reunion

Avoid, obviously. It's horrid. Wasn't expecting anything else really but was prepared to be surprised. Probably the laziest film I've ever seen.

Just watched Hugo - visually stunning with a whimsical soundtrack. Not what I entirely expected but beautifully done.

Not a film for the those who love Seagal-esque movies!

Tomorrow night, it'll be Chronicle!

(Machine Gun Preacher was pretty decent too - not bad for a 'true' story!)

I was surprised I enjoyed Chronicle so much. The only thing that really bugged me was the laboured use of cameras within the film.

Has anyone seen THX 1138? I fell asleep 20 minutes into it and am unsure whether to give it another go.

I just watched Chronicle myself.

It was ok. The last half hour is pretty awesome. The rest of it I found a bit dull.

I also felt the effects were slightly more than they were capable of, imo. Some of it looked quite shit. Made it feel a bit cheap.

Decent film, but not great. I don't think I'd ever watch it again.

I just watched Chronicle myself.

It was ok. The last half hour is pretty awesome. The rest of it I found a bit dull.

I was the complete opposite, I thought all the build up was really good and quite funny, and then when the "Hollywood" ending came I just wanted to turn it off.

I thought the build up was overly stretched out to make it a film. To me it felt like they thought of the ending first, then realised they needed about an hour's worth of padding to make it a film. So they stretched what could have been a 15 minute intro into an hour.

Basically, I could tell exactly what was going to happen, I won't put a spoiler, but I think it's pretty obvious early on where it's going. So I spent most of the first hour thinking "Just get on with it"

Win Win...

what a brilliant film, superbly acted and the young boys performance always kept you on edge...

Giamatti is so incredibly watchable he makes acting seem effortless....

and Tom McCarthy has now directed 3 absolute gems in Win Win, The Station Agent and The Visitor...

he really is in the Alexander Payne mould of getting the balance between comedy and emotional wallop absolutely spot on...

watch all three in a row (they aren't that long)...it will be the quickest 4 and half hours of your life

Â