The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Will cinemas have to convert a screen to be able to show 48fps (like they had to do with 3D)?

or will they be able to show it in existing screens?

Is the Hobbit going to be released as 48fps only? or in both 48fps and standard?

will there be 4 versions showing?

2D standard fps

3D standard fps

2D 48fps

3D 48fps

:!:

It doesn't require cinemas to have new screens, but it does require them to do an upgrade on their projectors to be able to process the higher frame rate. Apparently that could be as simple as a software update, but will still cost the cinema to do.

How they will market and distribute this is interesting and ties into your point on there possibly being 4 versions. At the moment, nobody knows if they will actively advertise and promote the fact that it's 48fps. It'd be a bizarre thing to try to sell to your average punter - 'Coming this Christmas, THE HOBBIT, in lifelike 3D, gloriously presented in 48fps! Also available in 2D and 24fps'. I can't see them doing it, but equally I think they have to try to sell this is as being a new way to watch films.

Interestingly I have heard that they can show the 48fps footage at 24fps, and it apparently would still look... different... to your average 24fps film, though not have the complete effect of 48fps obviously. So it's possible that could only distribute the 2 versions (2D and 3D) and then, if the cinema has invested in 48fps upgrades, they can show the whole thing as it's meant to be, and if not, you get a slightly smoother looking 24fps film.

For a big epic like the Hobbit films will be, I think it'll be hard to beat seeing it in a cinema.

The 48fps thing ties in with 3D by the way, if you want any more reason to be wary of it. It makes 3D less blurry and awkward on the eyes as it helps smooth out movement and also eases the burden on creating the effect of depth, so your eyes should relax into it more. It'll still be shit because 3D just is, but it'll slightly less shit.

From what was shown people have said that almost everyone gasped at how great it looked when they did a landscape shot like the LOTR films are littered with, a helicopter flyby of some mountains that allegedly was stunning. And then it all went wrong with the character stuff. Although even saying that 2 scenes, one of Bilbo and the encounter with trolls, and another of his riddle game with Gollum, seem to have got the people who saw it excited.

I don't know why they have to keep messing about with formats.

If you want a film to look great shoot it in 70mm film.

If you want to save money but have decent quality shoot it on digital.

If you want to rob the cinema-going public of their hard-earned cash with nothing added to the film, shoot it in 3-D.

Never been to see a 3D film, never wanted a 3D tellybox either. Simply do not see the appeal. I prefer foreign films to Hollywood block busters, they tend to let the story and the cinematography do their thang without the need for gimmicks and CGI etc, oh and they don't tend to be as full of gung ho nationalistic bullshit. Rarely even go to the cinema but thats down to a) laziness B) I'm in no rush to see a film, rather wait and see it cheaper and c) there's other people in the cinema and some of them tend to **** me off in an instant. The odd film does make me go though

I'll say it again. I really do wish Del Toro had stayed on to direct The Hobbit.

I've got a bad feeling that Cameron is going to go with a similar tone and style to LOTR, and it certainly looks that way so far. The Hobbit is a far lighter tale than LOTR and should have been created that way.

I'm obviously still really looking forward to it and I'm sure Cameron will do it justice. I'm just not convinced by his approach. As far as the 48fps goes, I don't really see the point. Large parts of Public Enemies were shot at a higher rate (30fps I believe) and some people hated that film. I personally liked it, yet I'm not convinced that the increase will fit into a fantasy setting.

On another note, Avengers tomorrow night after work at the IMAX. Woooooo!

Peter Jackson is making the Hobbit, not James Cameron ;)

James Cameron is the man lobbying for higher framerates though. He wants to gun for 60.

I'm tempted to head to an afternoon screening of the Avengers on my tod tomorrow - friends won't be going till next week at the earliest...

...I'll just see it twice ;). No-one's gonna turn up for a 12.30 screening on a Thursday, surely.

The mid-credit stinger has leaked in terrible, terrible quality, but having watched it (already knew what happened in it), comic book fans are going to get 3 seconds of footage that are going to make them go absolutely mental. And everyone else is going to go '...o...k?'. It's still a nice way for Whedon to sign off though.

It's alright, I'm losing it. I get confused between the two sometimes with their love of everything different when it comes to advancements in film technology.

What you just said at the end there has got me very excited Chindie.

on the hobbit and lotr, given how successful the trilogy of films of the latter was I think it would be a big surprise if Jackson didn't adopt a similar approach tone wise. I liked the book but am perfectly happier to see a much darker version of it on screen.

Strangers on a Train - good, but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I might, possibly a case of hearing about a film"classic" so often one builds expectations up too far, but still enjoyable though, and marks the start of discovering Hitchcock mode. ( Have already seen Psycho and The Birds )

there's other people in the cinema and some of them tend to **** me off in an instant.

THIS. Dont matter where I sit, there is always a bellend sat behind me kicking my chair.

Yep, it drives me mad also + peopel talking and all that.

Also, the picture / sound quality is far better in my house + I can eat and drink what I like. The costs for some sweets and a coke in the Cinema are funny, I will never pay it agian and just take my own stuff in. I don't go much now though.

I would imagine showing your sensitive side at a movie pretty much guarantees you a trip to the otter's pocket. I don't tend to cry at movies cuz THEY'RE F**KING MAKE BELIEVE !! :lol:

I would imagine showing your sensitive side at a movie pretty much guarantees you a trip to the otter's pocket. I don't tend to cry at movies cuz THEY'RE F**KING MAKE BELIEVE !! :lol:

Apart from Forrest Gump. Forrest Gump was proper real.

Apart from Forrest Gump. Forrest Gump was proper real.

I don't normally get upset at movies, it's just that this one was about a girl who gets cancer *SPOILERS* and dies *END SPOILER* :lol:

A woman in my family died a couple of years ago from the same thing, just hit home y'know?

anyway, good movie and regarding the otters pocket bit, nah, I stayed up played BF3 and watched the champs league :lol:

I find that totally ruining the mood just as the movie gets really sad by shouting "I'd **** the shit out of that bird" guarantees me a trip to the otter's pocket.

Way manlier.

Â