The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

It goes against everything I stand for (my general rule is if it's a movie based on a comic, it's probably terrible) but I really want to see Avengers now.

May have to catch a showing over the weekend

It goes against everything I stand for (my general rule is if it's a movie based on a comic, it's probably terrible) but I really want to see Avengers now.
Same here. :oops:

Caught the mid-title bit, stayed for the very end but that was all there was.

What did you make of it? ;)

I think if you can appreciate a well made action spectacle, you can go and have a great watch. It was one of my favourite cinema experiences and that was in a fairly crap local cinema with mostly college kids bunking of afternoon lessons in, sat at the very back, on a fairly small screen, and 20 minutes in the film broke... and I still adored it. You get great action moments, a few throwaway laughs, a decent bad guy and ultimately a big silly ride.

If the idea of watching a bunch of chaps (and very, very sexy lady in a skin tight catsuit) in silly costumes getting into massive punch-ups and spectaclur scrapes as they try to save the world in the worlds simplest plot sounds like hell... you won't like it.

I didn't know who the guy was, to be honest. My familiarity with the wider Marvel Universe beyond the usual suspects is a bit limited, so I had to look it up. I gather, from what I've read, that he's a big thing?

Caught the mid-title bit, stayed for the very end but that was all there was.

What did you make of it? ;)

I think if you can appreciate a well made action spectacle, you can go and have a great watch. It was one of my favourite cinema experiences and that was in a fairly crap local cinema with mostly college kids bunking of afternoon lessons in, sat at the very back, on a fairly small screen, and 20 minutes in the film broke... and I still adored it. You get great action moments, a few throwaway laughs, a decent bad guy and ultimately a big silly ride.

If the idea of watching a bunch of chaps (and very, very sexy lady in a skin tight catsuit) in silly costumes getting into massive punch-ups and spectaclur scrapes as they try to save the world in the worlds simplest plot sounds like hell... you won't like it.

I'm hoping your former point shines through. I'll certainly be trying to enjoy it.

As for your last point, that sounds fine if it's done well. But that's what happens in Ironman and Spiderman and all those films and they're all gash.

Actually, Spiderman 1 was ok.

But, even if I hate it (which I'm sure I won't), Scarlett Johansson will be worth the entry fee alone

I didn't know who the guy was, to be honest. My familiarity with the wider Marvel Universe beyond the usual suspects is a bit limited, so I had to look it up. I gather, from what I've read, that he's a big thing?

He's one of Marvel's real big gun bad guys, the kind of villain that was such a big deal he was able to become an enemy for more than just one hero. He's got a couple of huge plotlines they can borrow from and he's a serious enemy to put in place. Which should mean that the Avengers 2, if they do it, would be absolutely enormous in scope. The Infinity Gauntlet storyline is a Marvel classic, and they've already had that feature in the films, it cameos in Thor briefly

I'm hoping your former point shines through. I'll certainly be trying to enjoy it.

As for your last point, that sounds fine if it's done well. But that's what happens in Ironman and Spiderman and all those films and they're all gash.

Actually, Spiderman 1 was ok.

But, even if I hate it (which I'm sure I won't), Scarlett Johansson will be worth the entry fee alone

It's much, much grander in scale than either of Ironman or Spiderman. It blows Ironman out of the water and it shines Spiderman 2 by a helluva long way. On the Ironman point... put it like this. Ironman is one of a group of huge characters here, so he has less screentime than in his own film, but everything he does in this completely blows away his solo adventures.

As for Scarlett... well, one serious scene has the added bonus of having one of the most obvious 'get her arse in this shot perfectly in focus' pieces of cinematography I can remember. And you can see why.

I might go and see avengers tonight, not bothered about 3D so will go to the 2D worth seeing?

Even at 10pm?

It's post-production 3D (aka shitter than usual) so don't bother is the general wisdom. As it is I've heard very little good about the 3D so save your money, go 2D. I enjoyed it more tha enough without the headache eyestrain and stuff pointing out at me.

Thinking of going over the weekend. Just so we're clear though, part-way through the end credits there is an extra scene worth sticking around for, but after that is over there are no other scenes correct?

One time me and my dad went to see a film, I can't remember which one, it might have been Ironman 2, and we stayed right the way through the credits hoping for an additional scene. We were the only two left in the cinema and an usher had come in and stood at the bottom of the steps looking at us for 3 minutes as the credits were rolling, clearly knowing we were waiting for an extra scene.

The credits finished, no scene. As we walked down to leave, the usher then very helpfully said, "Oh yeah, there's no extra scene at the end by the way." Helpful **** he was, bell-end. I gave him a dirty look and seriously thought about reporting him to his manager, but it might have been a bit petty.

The film ends, and it does the flashy credits sequence that every film has these days, and then it has a minute long extra scene that is either going to mean nothing to you at all, or will have you hyped, and theres nothing after that.

Â