The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I thought Cabin in the Woods was a good idea let down by bad execution. I 'enjoyed' it, and as a big fan of the horror genre I could see what was trying to be achieved. Unfortunately, the tone was ridiculously uneven and the whole thing was done in such a ham fisted and clunky way it ended up being a bit of a shambles.

10/10 for trying to do something different, but 5/10 for the actual movie.

is it a good film or a good horror film?
That's a very pertinent question, but one that shouldn't be answered in depth if you haven't watched it yet. All I will say, for me it was a great film and...

IMO horror films are shite, usually boring with cheap thrills and no story, paranormal activity and saw for example bored me to tears
...your feelings are very much shared by Whedon and Goddard. The film is, in part, a critique of the current stable of tawdry horror flicks.

Just watched this

aseriousman.jpg

Had I turned it off after 1hour 30 minutes, I'd probably be saying I didn't really like it.

As it is, the last minutes tied the film together pretty brilliantly. A standard Coen Brothers ending, but it worked.

i didnt watch cabin in the woods in the end stayed in and had a bit of a marathon, so far this weekend ive watched -

captain america - its ok, better 2nd time around as i watched thor last weekend so i got more of the references

halloween 6 - utter rubbish, only watched it because paul rudd was in it

independence day - its cheesy and the big speech and the stupid english in the desert are painful but i love it, up there with jurassic park IMO

human centipede - terrible film, **** knows who thought it up, some of it was comedy gold though

pirates IAAWS - brilliant film, i reckon it would take at least 5 viewings to pick up all the background jokes, took me an hour to spot the blue peter badge

will watch cedar rapids to round the weekend off, really enjoyed it at the cinema

I'm beginning a rerun through of of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a refresher for the Avengers, beginning with Iron Man. I know the films inside out but seems right to go back and rewatch them. Theres a fanboy cut of all them doing the rounds apparently that cuts all the films together into one big extravaganza in chronological order (which I think means it must go mental jumping around after you get most of Cap out of the way), but I couldn't bring myself to get into that (plus, illegal etc).

Watched the Dragon Tattoo remake last night as well. I genuinely think that's a properly brilliant film, far better than the original Swedish version (I actually struggle to think of anything that the original does better, in fact). It's superb. I also find that take on Lisbeth Salander inexplicably hot.

I watched a film on Netflix called Exam last night, anyone else seen it? It's a british film with an interesting premise in that eight people go into a room for an exam as part of a job interview for a big corporation. They're told they only have to answer one question and they have 80 minutes to do it. They're told a few more simple rules and then left to it. I won't say anything else in case anybody wants to watch it.

It was... somewhat interesting, if not a little predictable for the start of the film. It then takes a bit of a turn and it's a bit of a weak one in my opinion. It just felt altogether a bit like a student film to me (and I should know since I made plenty of them at uni) and some of the acting was quite over-the-top. Jimi Mistry was especially bad trying to portray some sort of bad-ass. It was just a bit cheesy at times. It wasn't terrible though, just trying a bit too hard.

Watched the Dragon Tattoo remake last night as well. I genuinely think that's a properly brilliant film, far better than the original Swedish version (I actually struggle to think of anything that the original does better, in fact). It's superb. I also find that take on Lisbeth Salander inexplicably hot.

Totally agree. i thought it was brilliant, and I'll be getting the Blu Ray next week (it's out tomorrow)

In fact, it annoys me to call it a remake. It's more like a re-imagining, if that makes sense. It's based on the book, not on the original film.

I was round a friend's house a couple of weeks ago, and she's a big fan of the books. Anyway, she said she thought the new one was shit and much preferred the original swedish version.

I nearly shouted at her!

Totally agree. i thought it was brilliant, and I'll be getting the Blu Ray next week (it's out tomorrow)

In fact, it annoys me to call it a remake. It's more like a re-imagining, if that makes sense. It's based on the book, not on the original film.

I was round a friend's house a couple of weeks ago, and she's a big fan of the books. Anyway, she said she thought the new one was shit and much preferred the original swedish version.

I nearly shouted at her!

I preordered the steelbook blu-ray, came on Friday :D.

I'd seen it at the cinema and really loved it, but sometimes a film doesn't hold up on repeat home viewings so was interested to see what I thought second time round (and having seen the original to compare to). Thats definitely not the case here - even knowing every moment, knowing the entire plot, I still loved it.

I genuinely cannot see where anyone who prefers the original is coming from. Finchers version isn't flawless - the accents thing is a bit silly for a start - but it's just better than the Swedish original. And it should be given the difference in cost.

It's a top, top film. Grim, stylish, cold, beautiful. Excellent.

I nearly shouted at her!

I preordered the steelbook blu-ray, came on Friday :D.

I'd seen it at the cinema and really loved it, but sometimes a film doesn't hold up on repeat home viewings so was interested to see what I thought second time round (and having seen the original to compare to). Thats definitely not the case here - even knowing every moment, knowing the entire plot, I still loved it.

I genuinely cannot see where anyone who prefers the original is coming from. Finchers version isn't flawless - the accents thing is a bit silly for a start - but it's just better than the Swedish original. And it should be given the difference in cost.

It's a top, top film. Grim, stylish, cold, beautiful. Excellent.

It is a great film. I've not read the books or seen the original films, but is the remake based on all 3 books or just the first one?

Just the first, and having now seen all 3 of the original films in their extended iterations, thats a good thing, trust me. The first is the best by miles. the second gets absurdly silly, and the third is a mess that I can't even remember much about.

To be fair, my friend who says she prefers the original is one of those people who had probably made up her mind before she went to see Fincher's version that she would prefer the original.

She also said she thought Craig was crap as Blomqvist and Nyqvist was better, which I couldn't understand as Blomqvist is meant to be a ladies man which I thought Nyqvist's version was just not.

I won't go on, because like you Chindie, I fail to see anything the original did better, apart from maybe the accents because obviously it's in Swedish. Fincher's does everything better, including my main complaint with the original in that they didn't get Salander right.

As for the second and third books/films, I haven't seen the Swedish versions, but I'm lead to believe the fact that they were TV movies, unlike the first, shows through.

Ah cool that's good to know. I take it they are not planning on remaking the other two then? Watching the remake certainly didn't leave any questions unanswered IIRC.

I think they plan(ned?) to make the next two if the first one was a success.

So I'm assuming they'll make them. i certainly hope they will, although the third will be a much different film than this one assuming they stay true to the books.

Â