The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I really doubt that there will be a post credit scene in the US release - it doesn't make sense. Either RDJ was having a laugh or they were off to do a quick scene for the home media release.

The Avengers looks amazing. I need to see it next week some time.

I watched a film the other day with Emma Stone (FIT!) called The Help. It was a decent watch if anyone is interested.

Is there anything to 'get' though? Maybe I'm missing something.

I think so. It has a greater impact on Marvel fans. Someone who isn't a fan is going to not have a clue what that particular scene entails, whereas a fan knows that that scene hints at enormous things in this universe. Your average viewer will just go 'Oh.' Or worse, feel a little disappointed by it, a fan will go mad.

Its very much fan service.

anyone seen this yet? watched it last night have to say i thought it was fantastic. certainly worth the wait. after the flops thor and captain america i wasnt expecting this to be great but it was really good

story line is abit weak but had tonnes of action in it and was very funny. i expect there will be a sequel to this as the cinema, i have never seen it so busy

Is there anything to 'get' though? Maybe I'm missing something.

I think so. It has a greater impact on Marvel fans. Someone who isn't a fan is going to not have a clue what that particular scene entails, whereas a fan knows that that scene hints at enormous things in this universe. Your average viewer will just go 'Oh.' Or worse, feel a little disappointed by it, a fan will go mad.

Its very much fan service.

Possible spoiler below, do not highlight text!

I'm a big Marvel fan and know what he's about, but I don't think there's an awful lot to get. Maybe it's because it's been obvious since the trailers for Avengers that he'd be involved that it didn't come as a huge surprise.

Apparently the DVD/Blu Ray release will feature nearly as nours worth of scenes not included in the movie. Mostly to do with Cap, which probably explains why Whedeon went from the "The movie will be from Caps perspective" to what he actually did.

I am truly amazed at all the positive reviews. I loved it, but when I got home I thought to myself "Maybe as a Marvel fanboy I'm subconciously being biased?" Apparently not. If it doesn't stay in the IMDB top 250 I'll be very disappointed.

Possible spoiler below, do not highlight text!

I'm a big Marvel fan and know what he's about, but I don't think there's an awful lot to get. Maybe it's because it's been obvious since the trailers for Avengers that he'd be involved that it didn't come as a huge surprise.

Apparently the DVD/Blu Ray release will feature nearly as nours worth of scenes not included in the movie. Mostly to do with Cap, which probably explains why Whedeon went from the "The movie will be from Caps perspective" to what he actually did.

Do you not agree that most people won't have a clue who that character is, and thus they don't really get anything out of it - other than 'Oh... theres gonna be sequel'. And perhaps being a little disappointed that Loki's defeat may, therefore, actually be a rather hollow victory? Whereas you and I, who know who it is, know that it's sequel bait but also know that 'Holy shit, thats Thanos, thats Thanos Wars storylines/Infinity Gauntlet saga/Avatar of Death - this is heading to mental places!? Ace!'

Thats what I mean by 'get' it. I knew it was coming - and a comic fan will guess it's coming even if they go in cold from the first 30 seconds... but it's still a really cool moment that you have to know the back story to get

As for extra scenes - I sincerely hope theres a shitload and an extended edition is released. Some people complain that the films a bit too long as it is, I on the other hand didn't want it to end. And I'm down for more scenes. I particularly hope the scene Whedon has specifically said he's cut, Cap and Peggy reunion, was actually filmed, as it could be a really great scene.

More Loki, more Thor also wouldn't go amiss.

As for extra scenes - I sincerely hope theres a shitload and an extended edition is released. Some people complain that the films a bit too long as it is, I on the other hand didn't want it to end. And I'm down for more scenes. I particularly hope the scene Whedon has specifically said he's cut, Cap and Peggy reunion, was actually filmed, as it could be a really great scene.

More Loki, more Thor also wouldn't go amiss.

I suppose your whited out bit is true, I didn't think of it like that.

I usually struggle to sit through films longer than 2 hours, but like you, I didn't want it to end. Though it was 2:30am when it finished for me and I had work in the morning, si probably a good thing it wasn't too much longer!

I am not a comic/marvel fanboy but thought it was an amazing film! Really, really lived up to every expectation.

I've never read any of the comics, so the story arcs (special credits bit) etc mean very little to me but that hasn't stopped me enjoying it. The Ironman films were great, Thor was good and Captain America was OK but the Avengers was absolutely stunning in every way. Perfect summer movie. Been a long time since I've gone to the cinema expecting a lot and, not only been pleased, but enjoyed it more than I thought I possibly could!

Small complaint is that the Hulk character (in this incarnation) is not fully explored and his transition in control comes a bit too simply - for such a primary character (whereas Black Widow and Hawkeye were secondary really) he probably could have done with his own movie too - yes I know the character has had two but a) they weren't made within this vein and b)the first one especially was appalling!!

I'd be highly surprised if anything could beat it for film of 2012. Dark Knight will be good, but dark and in certain ways quite predictable, Prometheas will be a let down (just a guess) , Spiderman is going to struggle (too close to Maguire version), Bourne Legacy doesn't have Bourne, Skyfall will be bang on as expected, Hobbit will be great but no LOTR whereas Snow White and the Huntsman might be a dark horse. It's certainly not going to be a quiet year!

To be fair the second Hulk film, the Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton, is part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and so is the build up for that character in the Avengers in the same was the Iron Man, Thor and Captain America films were. Unfortunately Ed Norton is a pain in the arse to work with so they ditched him and brought in Ruffalo. It's turned out to be a blessing, Ruffalo is superb.

I'm beginning to think the Hulk just doesn't work in his own films. Certainly worked in the Avengers though, steals the film.

Â